Line 6 Variax Shuriken Plinking plink noise during palm mute

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by reaxis, May 29, 2017.

1. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

I had this guitar and it had the palm mute plink. The only thing that worked was not to palm mute. I tried the technique you describe and it did not work. It was the only gear I have returned to Sweetwater.

2. veritechc

veritechc Member

That is really a bummer as mine is one of the best guitars I ever played.

3. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

I was bummed. It would have been perfect for the band I am in. A buddy of mine has one of the newer models. I may revisit this since I am loving my new Helix.

4. mouzer

mouzer Member

The above video is pretty representative of my experience with my JTV. Normal palm mutes feel "soft" and require an adjustment to technique. With tuning the further away from standard the more artifacts appear when muting or producing harmonics. I do get "plinks" from behind the nut but it's not enough of an issue that I've dampened it yet. I will likely experiment with that in the near future.

At the moment it appears that's just how the Variax series works so I accept it for what it is. Imperfect in some ways (but what isn't?) but also a great tool and completely valid musical instrument. My JTV is often my first call recording guitar. It's just super flexible and is a pleasure to play. I don't use it for everything but I'm glad it's in my stable.

If ever Line 6 gets around to further revising the firmware, that's great. If not, that's cool too. The JTV gives me a great tonal palette.

veritechc likes this.
  5. novocaineisei

novocaineisei Member

I am an owner of the Variax Shuriken as well. Plinking is real on my low E. wrapped fret wraps, reflashed, tried everything regardless of what the videos say, the plinking is there.

The only solution is a set of heavier gauge strings, i had to do a .52 on the low E and it'd almost reduce the plinking to nothing. but it already being a baritone guitar, the tension is really not comfortable to tune to standard or even drop D. you had to compromise with a lower tuning and adjusting all the presets accordingly. Not ready to do that esp when steve plays with .42s. It should work as is. I've considered changing the saddles to graphtech ghosts and see if the help. Will report in when this is done.

6. SymphonicDischord

SymphonicDischord Member

After an almost 4.5 month wait my Shuriken finally arrived last week and so far no issue with "plink". The guitar did though go straight from the shipping box to my tech's bench for a full setup and restring with Elixir 10-52 and I also put on a fret wrap immediately. I feel I've adapted to the scale and added tension well enough.

Now that being said, it appears my pickup selector switch may be pooched. Near as I can tell when hooked up to Workbench is it's only hitting on the 2nd and 5th position. Not necessarily a big deal with my Helix but when using it on it's own, that's a huge reduction in accessible presets. I've tried a re flash with no luck and have now logged a ticket with Line 6 and am just waiting on a reply.