Line 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles Member

Okay, here is your chance to sing praises or bash relentlessly, or just vent on the whole digital vs. valve debate.

Personally, I've owned around 10 all-valve amps and have now narrowed it down to two Peavey classic combos that I'll probably have for the next 40 years.

However, I bought a Line 6 Vetta II combo and a PODxt for any use I could get out of them.

So far I switch between the Classics and the Vetta Live. I use the Vetta for almost all of my recording. I also use the PODxt for recording and practice.

I'm really impressed with the Vetta and have found it to be far superior to a lot of newer over-bloated amps made today (Newer Marshalls, Mesas, Fenders, etc...) I love the versatility of the Vetta and the endless tone shaping tools. The main challenges I've faced are the complication of so many options.

Soundwise, I am one who uses whatever sounds good, and the Vetta does for MY music. I like to slam chords and texturize solos with whatever works and I write songs influenced by soft/classic/hard rock artists.

So,

What do you guys/gals think of all this? Share your experiences/thoughts on your uses and theories.

Talk, discuss, rant and rave!!

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

We've discussed this on other threads Miles, but I think the flextones are really excellent tools, and seem to be roadworthy too. I have been less impressed by spiders and POD's for live use, but guys tell me the POD is great in the studio. The price is definitely right, especially second hand.
    Al

3. Miles

Miles Member

I'm sure you have, but it's just another thread. I couldn't get into the spiders as much either.

4. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I've gigged with my spider. You can't beat the price. I had four basic sounds preset. A good clean, A mild breakup, A good rock crunch, and a high gain metal sound. That and the vol and tone controls on my guitar did everything from Elvis to Ozzy.

It's light, It never crapped out on me, even on the monster Memorial day 5 hour gig.

Good tools indeed. :JAM

5. Lution

Lution Member

I only have experience with a Flextone II 1x12 combo. Although it sounded nice, after hours of deep editing, it eventually didn't really have enough volume to get over my drummer in a live situation.

I think it sounded good and it did a good job for me. I realized after about 2 years with the Flextone II, that I not only needed more power, I also wanted to grow and evolve real tube amps. After I got into tube amps I realized that I was really in love with what the Line6 stuff tried hard to offer, but never quite got there. My current setup has no trouble getting over the drummer and gives me the real thing. Beautiful Tube Love!!!

I've heard that the Vetta is a nice modeler, I've heard it's Ecstacy model sounds great, and has tons of tweakability, but it's still an emulator of the real thing and gets really close to it.

I personally prefer the real thing. It would be hard to go back to a modeling amp now.

6. poolah

poolah Member

I've been using a Vetta II combo and I'm pretty impressed with it also. For me the key was the computer editor as creating sounds from the ground up is pretty tough to do with the front panel controls. I think most people don't get beyond the presets on the Vetta and that's a shame becuase you really have to create sounds that work for your guitar and playing style. If you take the time to really understand how all the amp and speaker models work and how they interact with your guitar (this is really important, I have one set of preset for my customer Ransom, one for my 335 and another for my Strat) you will be amazed!

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

My other guitarist uses one. (One of the upper scale ones) It doesn't have the 'cut-through' that my tubes do, but it still sounds great.

It's a great tool for him because he's just wants a 'plug and play'. He basically has 2 tones. Clean and metal. We played together for 3 months before he really went back and started tinkering with it (at the behest of the drummer, who bitched constantly on how all my tone fit with the songs we were doing, and his were the same thing over and over.)

Nice amp. If I weren't addicted to my tubes, I'd have that or more likely the V-Tronix.

EP

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Duoverb here. It's incredibly loud, will cut through anything, and has excellent stage spread.
    That being said, it still bugs me. The rollover into breakup is OK but then gets harsh without enough compression. The heavier sounds don't seem to sing in the right frequncy band for me. It sounds better LOUD (don't they all?), so is really too much amp for me. So promising, but after tweaking for so long....frustratingly close but no cigar.
    BUT, if you are looking for a big Twin rvb alternative check 'em out.

9. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I'm a big Line6 fan. When appropriate, I gig with my THD Flexi Rig, but I love my Line6 toys and quite frequently Vetta just fits the gig better. Whether it's a volume issue or the need for the different tones. I'm a fim believer that the crowd in your typical gigs either can't tell the difference (if tweaked correctly of course) or don't really care about the differences. Can I tell the difference between my THD cranked through a 2x12 while being goosed with an RC Booster and my Vetta? Of course!! But that doesn't take away from its usefullness.

Living in a townhouse in Santa Monica, I don't get many opportunities to play with the tube rigs, but recording late at night with the Vetta or Pod Pro is fantastic. Add the Variax (which I gig with frequently) to the mix and you've got just about any tone you could ask for when composing or recording.

IMO, they make some of the most fun and usefull tools for the common musician. They're not for everybody... they won't replace walls of vintage amps or mic pres or guitars, but they put out some cool stuff.

Rick

10. kovachian

kovachian Member

I had used tube amps exclusively before I got a wild hair up my bum and took a chance on a Vetta. My last tube amp was a Marshall 900 SL-X, and I sold it and used the funds to buy my Vetta; the best gear purchase I ever made. I gotta say, it's versatility is mind boggling. I've had mine for 2 years and I'm still discovering new possibilities constantly. The list of possible sounds is literally endless. That's not what everyone wants, but it's right up my alley. I find it a little amusing when people try to convince others that their own choice in tone is somehow the best. It typically goes something like this:

Them: That sounds close to (brand blahblah) but not quite. Why not get the real deal?

Me: Because no one has loaned me thousands and thousands of dollars so I can buy 74 modern and vintage amps, cabinets, pedals, and mics. I don't have the time, the room or the money to procure and store such a ridiculous collection. Sometimes the model DOES sound just like the orginal; sometimes not from what I'm told. Who cares if other people think this/that amp/effect/whatever is not 100% spot on? It's not a bad thing to simply approximate the sound of a piece of gear, because that just gives me all the more room to experiment and expand upon what the original could never do. My only goal, and I consider myself highly successful at achieving this goal... that is finding my own sound. That's precisely what modellers are all about.

11. imafenderlover

imafenderlover Member

love the pod2 rack... split it stereo between marshall and fender... awesome

12. Miles

Miles Member

I've always found that the most important thing you can do with the Vetta is treat it like an amplifier in itself. What I mean by that, is to not compare the models to the "real thing" and rather use them as their own sounds. For instance, I treat the Vetta as an amplifier that has a lot of articulation at any volume. It has just as much punch as a valve amp, because I will blend whatever amp with whatever cabinet to get the kind of sound I want, and then crank up the mids and really make it come to life. The amp models might as well just be unnamed and I think that is where people get frustrated. If you treat it like "I need an Orange combo, or a Mesa Head, and I might as well get something that sounds like everything", you will probably be disappointed with this.

For lack of better words, I kind of treat the Vetta as an amp that has a lot of headroom and power where you have countless modes of clean to distortion combinations to choose from and then blend them. I mean, each amp has so many cab options that totally re-shape it, and then blending two amps at once with EQ, it just nuts to compare it to real amps. If you want an amp that has a lot of choices and will get you anywhere, it's very impressive. If you treat it like a modeler, you paint yourself into a corner away from what it's intended to be used for.

From my experience, I can hear some of the models and think that they really do sound very similar, but I don't ever care one way or another. I just aim for a gritty full bodied clean, and a really thick and sludgy dirty without fizzy top end, with any effects I might need, and the Vetta II does this for me.

13. kovachian

kovachian Member

Excellently put Miles, that's precisely the point I try to convey, that modellers have tones all their own. I also wanted to add that that there'll never be a winner in the tube/ss showdown and there'll never be any need for a so-called winner.

"It's not the destination that matters, but the journey." Er, something like that.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Me too. And I found I don't need a modeller to find that....well, I don't want the sludge:).
    Having done modellers, pre-amps, floor processors, stompboxes, vintage, channel switchers...did I miss something?.....I am still looking for the perfect tone at any volume and I am willing to tweak, but would rather not.:messedup

15. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

i've got a flextone III- it's great if i want a grab and go amp and don't want to take anything i care about. i've got it setup like an ac30 clean tone- sounds decent, feels like crap, still useable.

i played with a bigband not too long ago- just about perfect for that setting actually.

so- i'm lukewarm on thier stuff.