Line Level FX Loop : Zoom pedal - 1, Boss pedals - 0

Bentayuk

I was considering getting a JCA50 and discovered its fx loop is line level only (meaning rackmount fx only). Then I found out one of my amps (RM50) has same type of fx loop. I had not come across this before, and had no idea until yesterday afternoon.

I plugged in all my fx pedals last night, and discovered not a single Boss pedal worked with it. Not the DD-3, RV-5, or CH-1. This was very disappointing, as I'm taking this combo to a new jam in two weeks time, and now nearly all my pedals don't work with it.

Nearly......

Enter the lowly Zoom MS-50G, and it worked beautifully! Like a breath of fresh air! This was the last pedal I tried, because after the Boss failures, I was feeling pretty low.
All the delays, reverbs, chorus, everything sounded amazing!

So if you come across an amp with this type of fx loop, and don't want to mod it, or go for rack gear. The Zoom MS / G3 series will work a treat!

8len8

I was considering getting a JCA50 and discovered its fx loop is line level only (meaning rackmount fx only). Then I found out one of my amps (RM50) has same type of fx loop. I had not come across this before, and had no idea until yesterday afternoon.

I plugged in all my fx pedals last night, and discovered not a single Boss pedal worked with it. Not the DD-3, RV-5, or CH-1. This was very disappointing, as I'm taking this combo to a new jam in two weeks time, and now nearly all my pedals don't work with it.

Nearly......

Enter the lowly Zoom MS-50G, and it worked beautifully! Like a breath of fresh air! This was the last pedal I tried, because after the Boss failures, I was feeling pretty low.
All the delays, reverbs, chorus, everything sounded amazing!

So if you come across an amp with this type of fx loop, and don't want to mod it, or go for rack gear. The Zoom MS / G3 series will work a treat!
Here's a partial list of pedals that work with Jet City amps:

http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1615

Bentayuk

When you say they dont work, what exactly do you mean? What do they do, or don't do?

The Line Level fx loop is too strong, so the Boss pedals (which are at instrument level) don't come through. You can just slightly hear them underneath the guitar tone, but they are drowned out. I didn't try it with clean tone, just distorted.
However with the Zoom, the effect were clear as always.

tucsonsound

I used to have an RM50 and still use a Jet City 50. They both have line level loops plus the Jet City is the Soldano Hot Rod design authentic down to the pre tone stack loop placement. First pedal I discovered worked well there was the iStomp, not only worked great for delay/reverb but the buffer improved the amps tone just in bypass.
I sold the RM50 after I got an RM4 preamp and picked up a Korg SDD-3000 pedal for both line level delay and MIDI channel selection. It's preamp really adds a nice dimension following the Randall.
I was trying to decide if I should hang onto the Jet City 50 as it really has no clean channel when I hit upon trying the RM4 in the pre tone stack loop to add one. Turns out those line level loops are made for each other and it's my favorite way to run my modules now.
The module's 3 band EQ into the Jet City's 3 band EQ plus depth and presence controls, who knew?

57B332D0-552D-488A-AFE2-2CA4F962CAD9_zpsv55z19cx.jpg

Bentayuk

I used to have an RM50 and still use a Jet City 50. They both have line level loops plus the Jet City is the Soldano Hot Rod design authentic down to the pre tone stack loop placement. First pedal I discovered worked well there was the iStomp, not only worked great for delay/reverb but the buffer improved the amps tone just in bypass.
I sold the RM50 after I got an RM4 preamp and picked up a Korg SDD-3000 pedal for both line level delay and MIDI channel selection. It's preamp really adds a nice dimension following the Randall.
I was trying to decide if I should hang onto the Jet City 50 as it really has no clean channel when I hit upon trying the RM4 in the pre tone stack loop to add one. Turns out those line level loops are made for each other and it's my favorite way to run my modules now.
The module's 3 band EQ into the Jet City's 3 band EQ plus depth and presence controls, who knew?

That's an insane setup! I've played nearly every MTS stock and modded module (with the exception of some of the discontinued SG and Voodoo stuff). Amazing preamps.
The MTS series alongside Jet City have been my fall back amps for the last 7 or 8 years now. I might go in and out of amps on a nearly constant basis, but I always keep an RM and JCA amp around. They can be had for the same price as a high end pedal, and always come in handy!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom