1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Line Mixers

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Catch, Oct 7, 2016.

1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Squatch57 likes this.
  2. magnex93

magnex93 Member

I found out that the Rane line mixers are no longer in business, until last year they still sold models 26 and 82!

3. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Nope.
    When you expand the Aux Sends of a mixer with a splitter you are NOT adding new Aux Sends, just more connections from the existing ones. So anything connected to the new outputs AND fed from the same AUX... should not be sent to any other machine fed by the same original Aux. This splitting technique needs to be carefully considered as all the uniuts fed by the same AUX thru the splitter should not be set to interact AT ALL. They live in parallel.
    You have to accept reality. 2 Aux Sends are not going to be enough for that kind of system. Fact!

looper309 likes this.
  6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Horrible design, man. Just horrible.
    -why a mono signal (preamp) is carried in dual mono to the splitter?
    -why dual mono feeds to PCM81 and Eclipse from the splitter?
    -you are LOOSING the whole point of a mixer setup, that is the ability to send any processor to any other. Summing fx is a way more limited sound design technique than layering them. A mixer helps a lot to do that, keeping each signal on its own path AND splitting a portion of it thru Aux Sends for post-processing.
    -the PCM81 > PCM80 looks like another limitation. I'm not sure what his your specific *sound-design* need for that but you'd have a lot more keeping them separate and make the games (80>81 81>80 81//80) with mixer auxes. Also be aware that digital connections are kind of "delicate". If you intend to play in a bar, with the kind of power thay have in those places.... losing digital clock is very possible.... so one more thing in the shopping list... a power stabilizing unit. You don't want to hear a digital clock going bananas.... it's really bad noise and loud.

That's your design without all the un_necessary connections:

And this is a MUCH cooler way to do the whole rig *WITH WHAT YOU HAVE THERE*, adding post processing to the loop... THAT'S where the real fun is!

Jerrod likes this.
  7. Kasdaddy

Kasdaddy Member

It looks like the Rane stuff is likely the way to go, but has anyone heard of a Yamaha MV802? Super cheap and has two mono sends and two stereo returns. One pre and one post fader. Found a few happy users on various forums but I'm worried it's more for keyboard.

8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yep... more of a keyboard mixer. Can be easily clipped.

9. Kasdaddy

Kasdaddy Member

Thank you!

10. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

The discontinued MIDAS XL88 looks very promising to me..
    Anyone else?

11. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I bet the sound is good but it's still very expensive, kind of cumbersome BIG, all XLRs can be a pain, managing the matrix isn't a quick job... 8 channels may be a limitations.

12. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

yeah, 8 channels are not enough but i bet it sounds great
    price came down substantially as it's now discontinued
    it sales for about £600 on ebay in the UK now:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midas-XL...QuGJSqgStAK29aH5Ol09c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

why do you think the xlr's can be a pain Italo?

i still think this is a very versatile matrix mixer for fx routing, fx summing in parallel or to expand the st aux of any 1u rack line mixer..
    perhaps still smaller than a desktop mixer?

Cheers
    P.

13. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Many fx boxes don't have XLRs... and the unbalanced ones can easily connected to balanced 1/4" inputs in most desktop mixers... which will unbalance them easily.
    Here you'll have to do a lot of cables soldering....
    It could be simpler.

pangea2003 likes this.
  14. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

I see, I know what you mean now Italo
    That's very true..
    Thanks

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Still, an 8X8 mixer with those kind of preamps for $650? That's almost a no-brainer. Just impossibly hard to find! Buying or building XLR-1/4" cables isn't that hard.

pangea2003 likes this.
  16. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

17. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Check the picture, on the back. Plenty of -10dB on the channels inputs.

18. DieHon

DieHon Member

Hi guys!

Some months ago I discovered a russian pedal company that makes a compact mixer at a affordable price. Unfortunately I lost their email and forgot their name. Does anyone here have any idea about this company?

19. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

So, the Samson SM10 has been discussed a little bit here (and elsewhere in the rack forum) but I haven't seen if it can do what I'm hoping it can. What I do know (including some of its limitations) is that it has one TRS pre-fader MON send, and one TRS post-fader EFX send. What I'd like to accomplish is to feed the SM10 my dry guitar signal and use both sends to feed 3 mono-in-stereo-out devices on there own channels (an MPX G2, and Strymon Timeline and Bigsky) for parallel mixing with the guitar. In my head this is how I would like it to work, but am not sure it will.

- the pre-fader MON send is a stereo TRS jack, so use a stereo TRS to L/R TS cable to feed the inputs of 2 effects units.
    - since the dry signal in channel 1 is mono, I'm not sure if it will only be sent to one side of the MON send. It would need to be both for this to work, obviously.
    - the stereo outs of those 2 units will return to their own channels on the SM10 for mixing in.
    - the post-fader EFX send is also a stereo TRS jack. If the dry signal input level in channel 1 is set to unity gain, and the EFX send on channel 1 is also set to unity gain, I would think that it would be at the same level as the MON send, right? If so, I would use a similar splitting cable to feed the 3rd unit.
    - the stereo out of that unit would return to the SM10 on it's own channel for mixing in.

So, would this routing work on the SM10?

20. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Regardless of what you want to do... the SM is a *line* mixer... thus is wants to see line levels signals.
    You are trying to mix 3 different types of signals there... not the best way to go.