Line Out for Recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Maruuk, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I'm assuming I can take the Line Out of my V32H and run it right into my DAW audio interface without any negative to the amp, right? But what happens when I hit Boost? That kicks in an extra preamp gain tube but what's getting overdriven, the pre-amp stage or the power stage? I realize I'll be negating the power stage and the speaker, but I will be getting the preamp and the tone stack (I hope).

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Well, nobody says I'm gonna blow anything up so I guess I'm cool. It's just that line outs to recording inputs is something you tend to get on SS amps, not tube amps.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

The line out should be a fixed output, so everything SHOULD be fine. Hitting the boost function doesn't change the output nor does it change the line out.

4. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Well it changes the LEVEL of the line output since you're kicking in the third 12AX7 preamp tube--the gain goes up. But the distortion you get out of the amp's speaker with Boost theoretically won't be heard since you're not overdriving the power stage, I simply am potting down my input to compensate for the increase in the Line Out gain from Boost. I guess. I wonder what tonal change there'll be?

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Changing the gain and distortion of the PREAMP with a boost function will not change the overall output from a line out or from the output of the amplifier itself. The line out is padded to be a certain level before it comes out regardless of whether the boost is on or not. It does not change the LEVEL.

The boost isn't theoretically overdriving the power stage. It is adding preamp gain, not power amp stage gain.

There is a tonal difference between using a line out into a DAW rather than hearing a power amp pushing speakers in a room. The difference is you will only get preamp gain, and nothing from the power amp or the speaker. It will sound a bit sterile, lifeless and flat, so you will need to compensate for that in the DAW. How depends on what you are trying to achieve but it can be done easily.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

There are alot of tube amps with DI outs including Mesa, Marshall, Traynor etc. it's not just on solid state amps. Most folks prefer miking

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I would personally mic the amp (you need to get that amp nice and loud and capture what's going on with the speaker -- that's how to get good guitar tone recorded). Save the line out for use with a second power amp and speaker for a wet/dry rig for effects -- sounds amazing.