Line out instead of Unleash?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimbo13, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Ive been using an Unleash for the last couple of years and like it. I only use it to make my tweed deluxe louder not attenuate a big amp.

I think the Unleash does roll of a little high end and change the feel slightly so I am going to try a line out off the speaker out ( using a Suhr Iso or similar device) to feed a bigger amp. Im thinking the speaker will provide a more realistic feel than the reactive load in the Unleash and give me the full bandwidth that is getting lost as well.

I know its not new but I usually see this in reference to a wet/dry rig, not trying to get your core tone louder. Anybody have experience with this and how well it retains the character of the smaller amp?

2. EastCoastRocker

EastCoastRocker Supporting Member

So if I understand you correctly, you will use a speaker with your amp, with no type of attenuation, just a line out, correct?

If so, I believe that you would be ok. You of course won't get the sound of your speaker in the line out, so I would think that the amp and speaker that you re-amp with would affect your outcome more than the line out itself. Just a hunch though.

3. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Yes, the main amp would run at full volume (which is usually not loud enough for the gig anyway) and the line out would be run into a second amp with a good speaker etc.

4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Do you normally run the unleash back into your 5e3 or do you use an extension cabinet? I would think an extension cabinet and perhaps an EQ in the loop of the unleash would work well.

5. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Yeah, the unleash goes back to the internal speaker and sometimes an extension.

6. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Just a thought, anytime you run something through something, things are gonna change...

7. gtone

gtone Member

With most amps that have a line out feature you can run both the line out and your amp/speaker simultaneously. That way you can mix/blend the tone of the driver amp with that of the slaved amp. Do this all the time, with and without a wet/dry config - sounds huge!

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I used to do this in various w/d, w/d/w and w/d/d/w rigs. The amps I've used include a pair of Blues Juniors and a Blackface Bassman. I had a post-power section line-out, which ran to wet effects, then to solid state power amps and speakers. I've used both full-range speakers with an H&K Red Box speaker simulator, as well as guitar speakers. I strongly prefer reamping to guitar speakers than a speaker simulator, personally.

This will work very nicely, in my experience. Its just a matter of picking a solid-state power amp to reamplify your wet signal after the wet effects. The EHX Magnum, for example, would probably work great, though it came out after I ditched the w/d/w setup for a simpler rig thats more gig-friendly. Just reamp into a 1x12 open-back cabinet with a (IMO) similar speaker to the one in your combo. I say open-back because I think wet effects, particularly reverb, sounds much better in a cabinet with good dispersion.

9. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Got it. In that case, I think you should try the line out through a twin reverb or super reverb. I would loved to try out something like that.

10. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

I received the line out splitter I ordered from David Bray http://davidbrayamps.com/lo1.html . It is great!!! Its only $44 shipped and works really well. Cant see why the Suhr version is $169.

I am running the line out into the return of the Unleash instead of using the reactive load so Im only hitting the power amp. The feel and tone are so much more natural than the Unleash reactive load. There is definitely a smoothing/compression thing with it. I can see where this is actually a cool thing for some applications but I really like a more natural feel. I would compare it to the difference in feel you get with a TS9 vs. just a clean boost driving the front on an amp to the same drive level if that makes any sense.

The Unleash is very cool and I will probably use the internal load for some things and to play at low levels but I would recommend trying the line out setup into it or any power amp to make a small amp louder. For $44 bucks its definitely worth the cost to hear the difference..

11. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Th Suhr is more because it has a reactive load

12. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Nope...

"The ISO Line Out box is used to provide a transformer-isolated signal from any guitar amplifier speaker output jack. This is useful for splitting your amp's output to a separate effects processor. Features include a Line Output, Speaker Through jacks, Phase switch, and a Ground Reference switch. This is NOT a load box and must remain connected to a speaker at all times".

13. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Does the Bray unit have an isolation transformer in it?
    The Suhr ISO has a transformer and a fancier case.

14. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Not sure about the transformer.

15. Daverij

Daverij Member

I have the David Bray line out box, try putting the line out in the Unleash' return and the Unleash becomes a power amp, works great!

16. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

This is what I have been doing and it kills! Such a different sound than running through the load of the Unleash. Not sure if one is better than the other, just different. The Unleash load smoothes everything out though for sure.