1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

line out to PA from modeler and output to amp?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by joebor, May 22, 2011.

1. joebor

joebor Member

This is probably a really dumb question, so please be patient with me. I have a really great sounding tube amp with no line out. Playing in church is problematic w/o messing with a mic on the cab.

Was wondering if I bought something like an RP355, could I run the line out from the RP355 to the PA, and still have my amp/speaker output on stage as a monitor? And if so, would I be hearing the same output as what is going to the PA?

Thanks!

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

1st question: in principle yes (in worse case you can run the RP in to the amp input set clean).
    2nd qustion: by sure NOT! YMWNV (Your milage will not vary)

3. drwiddly

drwiddly Member

The Digitech GSP1101 would get you very close. If your amp has an FX loop you can run the GSP using your amp's preamp section or the GSP's preamp, the GSP's FX and your amp's power stage. You can load third party IR's and use them to tweak the tone coming from the GSP's XLR outputs to sound as close as possible to your own speaker cab and feed those outputs to your PA. You will need a floor controller and, possibly. a midi to relay switcher (if your amp doesn't have midi), so it could work out a bit expensive. If your amp has relay switches for channel changing, etc. with a TRS jack socket you could use a Behringer FCB1010 midi floorboard with the GSP as it has two relay switching jacks as standard.

4. joebor

joebor Member

OK, thanks! The amp has an effects loop. But it sounds like it might be simpler to just mic the speaker. I want to preserve the amp tone as much as possible, so I was hoping the line out would send the amp's tone, processed by whatever effect from the RP355, out to the PA. I guess that's not going to work though! Thanks for the info, guys, I appreciate it.

5. fly135

fly135 Member

You could run the headphone out to the PA, but tweaking the tone for your tube amp may not translate into the tone you want for the PA.

6. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Get a Behringer GI-100 direct box. It has built-in switchable speaker simulation that sounds great. Since it's post-power-amp, you get the sound of your entire signal chain minus the speaker (replaced by the GI-100). I paid like 35-40 dollars for mine.

7. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

it seems to me that all of these possible solutions are most of a pain than putting a SM57 on your amp and will undoubtedly sound worse

8. 13guitars

13guitars Member

I use my Pod X3 Live as you describe. I run one of the balanced XLR line outs to the house and then one of the 1/4" "Live Out" jacks to a small Blackheart combo that the church owns for a little stage presence. I set the Live Out for "combo front". The sound is not identical but it is pretty close.

9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

The RP355 won't allow you to send a amp/cab model signal to the PA and a amp/cab model-free signal to your amp. It might sound ok coming out of your amp if you're lucky, but what's coming through the PA won't sound anything like what's coming out of your amp. If you really like your amp, then just use the RP (or whatever) as an FX-only unit and mic your amp.

10. Arjan

Arjan Member

Indeed. Get an SM57. It's cheap, it does exactly what you want and it can come in handy in many other occasions (never underestimate the mighty SM57 ;) ).

11. joebor

joebor Member

Thanks all--I think I've given up on the line out to PA option. Will just mic it!