Line-record an overdrive or distortion-pedal?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Optimus Prime, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Has anyone tried to line a guitar pedal of better quality, say an AC Booster or an OCD or BJF pedal, through a speaker simulator like a Palmer or a H/K Red Box PRo straight into your interface or soundcard, adding some room reverb in post? What did you think of the results? Recommend, yay or nay?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I did it once for a VH-esque track using some ibanez fx, Hafler preamp and an ADA microcabII. Does it work? Yes. Do I still use it? No.
    Actually, the microcabII gets a bad rap IMO, I just don't do much direct recording these days. It can be used with line levels from a preamp (not so good) or a speaker level signal (better). I'd guess that most speaker simulators will sound better with a speaker level signal.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I've done it a number of times. Sometimes, it's just the ticket for a given track.

I've always believed Ernie Isley's "Who's That Lady?" solo was cut this way. If not, it sure sounds like a good example of a DI'd distortion tone.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Basso I founf a killer plug you gonna dig. It's freeware and called Analog X...google it!!!
    I just put up a clip in the mp3 section with it. Has your name all over it!!!
    Sorry for the derail.
    Oh yeah, 1/3 of the signal is Palmer...

5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Beatles "Revolution" was recorded in an even lower tech fashion... just plugging direct into the console and overdriving the preamp.

You never know what's gonna work perfect for a given track.

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, Ed. I dig the track, as posted. Will check Analog X, and still indepted for those hip delay plugs you hepped me to.:dude

7. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

As Bassomatic and G'OlPeachPhan alluded, it certainly has it's place if the mood is right - even without the speaker simulator. :cool:

It reminds me... back when I was 17, I used to take the pre-amp out of my Peavey Rage and run it in series through both channels of an old component stereo-EQ to double-cut the direct-sounding fuzz (I was a poor kid). Although it sounded like crap as a main guitar tone, I'm sure it might be an interesting kitschy novelty tone. After almost 12 years, I still have the Rage and the EQ in a closet somewhere so I'll have to revisit that sound. :p

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

9. onemind

onemind Member

This may sound weird but I've had great luck using OD pedals into a clean patch on my desktop pod 2.0, direct to pro-tools. I guess in this scenario the POD is acting as a speaker emulator. It sounded especially good with a TIM pedal, but nearly as good with a maxon SD-9, and a Fulldrive. Worth checking out...I'll try to post some clips.

Steve

10. Gerry

Gerry Guest