• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Line selector for acoustic / electric board

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
I'm trying to build one board that I can use for both acoustic and electric.

My ideal setup is to have both guitars going into the same tuner, but then the acoustic chain going to a direct box, and the electric chain going into 3 pedals and then my amp.

What kind of line selector or a/b box could make this happen?

I think a dual input box BEFORE the tuner and then an a/b box AFTER the tuner could work, but that also seems too complicated. Could a Boss LS-2 work?

Another option is to use one cable for both guitars at the beginning of the chain, but I don't want to be plugging and unplugging in the middle of a set.

c diddy 5000

I would suggest looking toward the route of an AB switcher that has a ground lift switch placed after your tuner and before the two respective chains. I would also suggest unplugging each guitar when you switch. I know with my setup, the 9V battery for my acoustic's pickup would get drained if I left it plugged in all the time.

NHBluesMan

^ this. Do 1 cable going into the tuner and switch that when you switch guitars (unless you're going wireless...) then put a splitter after the tuner.

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
What about a Radial Big Shot ABY box? Has one input, two outputs, and a tuner out. I would ideally like something that's buffered, especially for my electric.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
I go back and forth between acoustic and electric a lot and built a board to do pretty much what you are looking for. And I checked out the Radial too; but ended up doing this:

wireless transmitter on guitar (I mute the transmitter when I switch)
so all guitars go to same wireless receiver which has a tuner out
great thing about the relay receiver; even when the transmitter is muted, the tuner out is active so...
once I change guitars, I check tuning before taking the transmitter off mute
from wireless receiver the signal goes to a couple pedals I use for both types of guitars (buffer / boost /flange)
then I hit the a/b box. I use the JHS
From the JHS - the bottom row signal is for electric guitar...so OD and distortion then to amp
the top row is for acoustic....so phase and aphex acoustic exciter (which is a DI box too), and I use the lo-z out of the Apehx to run to the PA

It is very hard to find switchers with Lo-z / Hi-z choices.....of course, you can use a regular cable for acoustic but i prefer the low imp. My board is a two tier holeyboard.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
A Radial BigShot ABY would do the trick for you, but may I make a suggestion? If you're playing live at all, it may make more sense to just buy a second tuner. That way, you can leave your acoustic and electric plugged in the whole time, and you're only pressing one pedal (the tuner, to either mute or tune) as opposed to tap dancing on the ABY and the tuner. It'll make switching between songs much faster... and makes sense especially since you're not trying to share any effects between the two chains. The board I use in my top 40 band has 3 signal paths - Acoustic, Electric, and Mandolin. Works swimmingly live, and a used tuner won't cost any more than an A/B/Y box:

Acoustic path is Compressor -> Pitch Black -> Micro POG -> Loop Station -> Para DI
Mandolin is MXR EQ -> StroboStomp II (Active DI)
Electric is the rest of it!

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
A Radial BigShot ABY would do the trick for you, but may I make a suggestion? If you're playing live at all, it may make more sense to just buy a second tuner. That way, you can leave your acoustic and electric plugged in the whole time, and you're only pressing one pedal (the tuner, to either mute or tune) as opposed to tap dancing on the ABY and the tuner. It'll make switching between songs much faster... and makes sense especially since you're not trying to share any effects between the two chains. The board I use in my top 40 band has 3 signal paths - Acoustic, Electric, and Mandolin. Works swimmingly live, and a used tuner won't cost any more than an A/B/Y box:

Acoustic path is Compressor -> Pitch Black -> Micro POG -> Loop Station -> Para DI
Mandolin is MXR EQ -> StroboStomp II (Active DI)
Electric is the rest of it!
I have been running two tuners on my PT Mini, but it's an awkward setup on that small of a board.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
I have been running two tuners on my PT Mini, but it's an awkward setup on that small of a board.
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense... try the Radial BigShot ABY out then, I've got one and it works quite well. Plus, it's passive so won't steal a space from your power supply!

Trending Topics