Line6 Amplifi - Continued

GuitarKidd

Since the other thread was just closed.. I will chime in.

I have been wanting a good BT speaker for my iPhone. Some of the BT speakers out there are quite expensive.

However L6 has created a very nice BT FRFR stereo speaker system that doubles as a cool practice and maybe gigging amp... who knows.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have HD modeling. That too me doesn't make sense, but I get it. it would directly compete with the DT's and the HD500X. I wonder how many people have gone out and spent $200-$300 dollars on a BT speaker ALONE. Now you can get what seems to be a GREAT BT speaker system AND you can play your guitar through it!

When you pull back for a second, and look at this thing... it's pretty cool. 5 years ago, you all would have gone BONKERS over something like this.

mikah912

Since the other thread was just closed.. I will chime in.

I have been wanting a good BT speaker for my iPhone. Some of the BT speakers out there are quite expensive.

However L6 has created a very nice BT FRFR stereo speaker system that doubles as a cool practice and maybe gigging amp... who knows.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have HD modeling. That too me doesn't make sense, but I get it. it would directly compete with the DT's and the HD500X. I wonder how many people have gone out and spent $200-$300 dollars on a BT speaker ALONE. Now you can get what seems to be a GREAT BT speaker system AND you can play your guitar through it!

When you pull back for a second, and look at this thing... it's pretty cool. 5 years ago, you all would have gone BONKERS over something like this.
Definitely not a gigging amp. There are plenty of practice amps with MP3/Aux inputs that have better and more modern modeling tech that cost less than half this. None of them require you to have an iPhone or iPad.

That leaves cloud tone sharing, a feature readily available on iOS and PC amp sim apps and Bluetooth wireless, which doesn't seem like much of a big deal since you have to use cords to plug up your guitar anyway.

$400-$500 for that? Why, exactly?

Unnecessary

for an undpowered live rig, overpowered home rig, and unnecessary device tether...thats what $400-$500 goes to

BCnSTL

X3 modeling left me cold. I'd be more interested if it had POD 2.0 guts in it.
Oh well.

lowyaw

i just can't get over it
no "outs"

is there really a demographic that wants an amp that can't be miked, and can't be connected to a FOH mixer via DI?
life is pain

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I was more annoyed and disappointed at the hype that Line 6 created around this amp that obviously made a lot of people feel that it was different than what was being hinted at.

10 year old technology repackaged and connected to the internet in a way that requires an external device to edit is not reinventing anything...

that said, I think it could be a decent bluetooth speaker, but there are probably better options.

Badside

I can accept X3 modelling. Heck, I'm using a Fender Mustang 1 for jamming right now which sounds much worse for british hi-gain type tones, and it's highly underpowered.

But at least I can mic the Mustang if I'm stuck using it live!

partytrain

It's funny how many people can't let it go as something that won't work for them. They are so hung up on their disappointment that this didn't meet their own over blown expectations that they want to make sure everyone knows how disappointed they are. There are other products that will meet your needs people. It's time to move your focus to those. The Amplifi will meet the needs of certain people, some on TGp, many who have never heard of TGP. We are not the musical center of the world.

I'm on the fence, as it gets closer to release and we have some more impressions, I may end up with one of these, we'll see.

toelessfoot

It could very well be a gig worthy amp, I see guitar players using tiny micro watt amps live all the time, just gotta mic it up. Plus you can't underestimate the wireless editing on iOS that feature's huge, I hate tweaking my hd500 and even with the editor on PC its still a hasstle to hook it all up and start my puter just for minor tweaks. I forget how the x3 models sound but I don't remember there being a massive difference between them and HD models. Its a pretty cool little unit and I look forward to trying one out.

tomaburque

I didn't see the words I was looking for "New, Improved Algorithms". I think it's old wine in a new bottle for a market that owns a iPhone and/or an iPad but does not own a mouse and keyboard computer.

Cool looking case though.

Last edited:

lowyaw

It's funny how many people can't let it go as something that won't work for them. They are so hung up on their disappointment that this didn't meet their own over blown expectations that they want to make sure everyone knows how disappointed they are. There are other products that will meet your needs people. It's time to move your focus to those. The Amplifi will meet the needs of certain people, some on TGp, many who have never heard of TGP. We are not the musical center of the world.

I'm on the fence, as it gets closer to release and we have some more impressions, I may end up with one of these, we'll see.
It's not my disappointment, if you're referring to my post. I don't care. It's just seems stupid from practical point of view. It may sound great, but in your bedroom / office only. And while you keep your apple device handy.

Other than that, it's up to L6 (or Yammy, if you want)

It could very well be a gig worthy amp, I see guitar players using tiny micro watt amps live all the time, just gotta mic it up. .
Personally, i don't understand, how do you mic a FRFR cab? That's the problem.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Some of us are computer guys who play music, some are musicians who have computers. You have three guesses as to which one will buy.

Unnecessary

Nobody in their right mind is gonna mic up a full-range cabinet unless they can put three mics on it. Thats why it so incredibly unpowered and the lack of direct outs is stupid...not loud enough for use in a loud band situation, no DI outputs to get the sound to the front.

Are people really so dumbed down by all these big button apps that editing a tone on the device is really that hard?

mikah912

Nice strawman, but some of us are not personally disappointed, but rather objectively confused as to who this is for.

It seems to be for people who want a practice amp with ancient sounds, but would like to manipulate a smartphone or tablet whilst playing it instead of twisting knobs and stepping on pedals BUT also want a big bluetooth speaker for their iPhone or iPad that nonetheless requires power cords to the wall and cable running to the guitar to truly get the most out of it.

Meanwhile, you can grab a monitor/FRFR/speakers and Pod X3 Live from Guitar center (or eBay or Craigslist) for $300 or less.

Or you could get grab a Lightning port interface for your iOS device, Bias/JamUp and 5 inch Samson Bluetooth Monitors for $300 or less.

Or you could grab a practice amp with an MP3 input for $100 or more.

I mean, there are so many other, cheaper ways to skin this same cat that don't require you to tether to a phone or tablet, it's not even funny.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You might misunderstand some of us. I'm a little miffed at their bad PR. Overpromising and Underdelivering is really really bad in this day and age.

Re-packaging old tech is not "reinventing" anything.

I may be in the market for a new amp, and thought this might be an option, but it's clearly not.

That's okay, but the L6 generated hype was insulting.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Seems like design over function here.....there is a real "Apple" feel to it all...the whole AC30 of the future look....

That being said, it does look like a cool product. Definitely not geared toward the gigging musician, but I don't think that is who they were going after. While the tech is not "new,". It really does still redefine the home practice amp that the majority of the world uses.

toelessfoot

Why can't you mic it up? I mean I don't see any mic simulation settings in the editor app and even if there was you could just eq slightly to compensate.

Unnecessary

still just a practice amp.....with an unnecessary iOS tether...the only suggested support for Android is BT streaming, which is not OS specific anyways. so no on-device interface, no live use ability (in reality, unless you're a one man band in a living-room size coffee house)...steaming pile