• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line6 Amplifi - Continued

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Why can't you mic it up? I mean I don't see any mic simulation settings in the editor app and even if there was you could just eq slightly to compensate.
You could mic it up, but you'd need at least two mics since the effects are processed through different speakers than the base guitar tone.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I think the reason why many of us here are disappointed is that the Amplifi is very close to something we want. Personally I would be very interested in the Amplifi if it was giggable (more outputs) and had HD modeling. But it doesn't and I'm not.

The time is right for someone to release a killer <$800 US modeling amp, all solid state, that has killer high volume stage tone and is easy to use. Nobody makes one yet, and I was hoping the Amplifi would be that amp. It's not.

But then again, Line 6 has shareholders they need to please, so probably whoever is responsible for product specification has done their research and they feel that this is a good use for the company's resources. Someone has bet their job on this product. So more power to them, it is capitalism at its finest.

The Amplifi, if it can be considered as indicating a direction that Line 6 is going in with their product lines, probably indicates they are starting to lose interest in us modeling power users. It doesn't bode well for those waiting for Line 6 to bring out a product to compete with Fractal and Kemper. So maybe put your Line 6 IR dreams on hold.

Unnecessary

yep, pretty soon they'll be like Zoom in the '90s...lots of cheap, do nothing effects boxes and clone pedals nobody who cares about thier tone would touch, but beginners will eat up. and now zoom is presenting more professional options...go figure.

partytrain

You might misunderstand some of us. I'm a little miffed at their bad PR. Overpromising and Underdelivering is really really bad in this day and age. Re-packaging old tech is not "reinventing" anything. I may be in the market for a new amp, and thought this might be an option, but it's clearly not. That's okay, but the L6 generated hype was insulting.
We'll just have to agree disagree about who is responsible for the hype. Line 6 didn't say "a gigging amp reinvented". That was TGP's assumptions and hype. IMO line 6 has certainly done something that hasn't been done (in an individual unit) before. That's deserving of the word "reinvention" to me. They advertised something, they put out teasers to get people interested. Tgp went crazy speculating what it could be. Your contention is that line 6 should've expected that from the forum, which is pretty ridiculous. Line 6 shows a pic of an iPhone app and someone here sees the word "match" and all of a sudden we've got people claiming it's some kind of kemper like tone matching system. Line 6 never said that. In fact we had people affiliated with line 6 here on the forum telling us not to get our expectations too high. I honestly can't believe you blame line 6 for standard marketing tactics claiming that they "should've known" how people would've read into it.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
yep, pretty soon they'll be like Zoom in the '90s...lots of cheap, do nothing effects boxes and clone pedals nobody who cares about thier tone would touch, but beginners will eat up. and now zoom is presenting more professional options...go figure.
I actually think that beside the HD300 and 400, Line 6 hasn't really released many products recently that were aimed at the lower end of the market. The other HDs, the DT amps, and the Variax are really things that could be a bit overwhelming to a beginner or someone who's only been playing a few years. It kind of makes sense to me that they decided to release something that will appeal to wider range of people.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I actually think that beside the HD300 and 400, Line 6 hasn't really released many products recently that were aimed at the lower end of the market. The other HDs, the DT amps, and the Variax are really things that could be a bit overwhelming to a beginner or someone who's only been playing a few years. It kind of makes sense to me that they decided to release something that will appeal to wider range of people.
Floor Pod?

Pocket Pod complete with "artist presets" for dozens of songs of its time?

Spider Amps?

toelessfoot

Are people really so dumbed down by all these big button apps that editing a tone on the device is really that hard?
Tweaking is more important with modelers than any other device type and so anything that can be done to ease that process is going to improve the product.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
Floor Pod?

Pocket Pod complete with "presets" for dozens of songs of its time?

Spider Amps?
That's my point... All of those products are getting long in the teeth. The Spider IV was released in 2009. The Floor POD and Floor POD Plus are discontinued. I forget when they were released. I think like 7 years ago. The Pocket POD about the same. They're pretty old.

V-Type

The problem here is Line6 went after a different crowd of players with this.
The home noodle who likes playing along too cd's,albums,etcr,one man band,Man Cave -entertainment system for guitarists who are Not Wanting the "most amazing" guitar amp models but rather Good and Proven and not to Long past tech.
You guys talk like the Xt's and X'3's,Vettas models are rubbish because its "old tech"
which is Completely Wrong.
Yes HD is "better" as well as Axe and Kemper but again this product isnt aimed at the $3000 plus rack user imo.
Under $500 whats too hate?

The problem is You guys (I as well) wanted a Better modeler too compete with Axe and Kemper even though everything they do have is quite good in the Right Hands and at reasonable $$$.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
That's my point... All of those products are getting long in the teeth. The Spider IV was released in 2009. The Floor POD and Floor POD Plus are discontinued. I forget when they were released. I think like 7 years ago. The Pocket POD about the same. They're pretty old.
This is the same "long in the tooth" technology with the interface offloaded to an iOS device and "cloud" and Bluetooth connectivity options.

Oh....at TWICE the price (not including the iOS device).

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
The problem here is Line6 went after a different crowd of players with this.
The home noodle who likes playing along too cd's,albums,etcr,one man band,Man Cave -entertainment system for guitarists who are Not Wanting the "most amazing" guitar amp models but rather Good and Proven and not to Long past tech.
You guys talk like the Xt's and X'3's,Vettas models are rubbish because its "old tech"
which is Completely Wrong.
Yes HD is "better" as well as Axe and Kemper but again this product isnt aimed at the $3000 plus rack user imo.
Under $500 whats too hate?
That you can achieve virtually everything this does - even with the exact same engine if you care to - for $300-350 instead?

paulvcarter

The bottom line is that it's a bigger, much more powerful Yamaha THR for not much more money. Add in the Line 6 stuff (which I don't like) and it's a bargain.

It kicks ass as a multi purpose amp for a bedroom or small personal practice room. They are both loud enough to gig with too!

It's definitely not a dream come true. But I don't think that negates it being a good product. I do see this as a step up from something like a thr. Which if they added Bluetooth would probably be just as expensive for a tiny 10w hifi amp.

I kind of appreciate the iOS app support because on a long day I don't want to hook up my amp to a computer and sit awkwardly at my desk. If you can edit some neat tones on your idevice and save them as presets I'd be satisfied.

Maybe they'll do a more sophisticated version as an update? :dunno

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
This is the same "long in the tooth" technology with the interface offloaded to an iOS device and "cloud" and Bluetooth connectivity options.

Oh....at TWICE the price (not including the iOS device).
I'm not trying to convince you to like it... All I'm saying is that Line 6 has its reason for doing this, I'm sure. There's no need to take it personally if it's not something that you think you'd like.

The Spider IV does use the XT/X3 amp models - just a limited number. The Floor PODs and Pocket POD are actually using the 2.0 modeling.

ptgold

Since the other thread was just closed.. I will chime in.

I have been wanting a good BT speaker for my iPhone. Some of the BT speakers out there are quite expensive.

However L6 has created a very nice BT FRFR stereo speaker system that doubles as a cool practice and maybe gigging amp... who knows.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have HD modeling. That too me doesn't make sense, but I get it. it would directly compete with the DT's and the HD500X. I wonder how many people have gone out and spent $200-$300 dollars on a BT speaker ALONE. Now you can get what seems to be a GREAT BT speaker system AND you can play your guitar through it!

When you pull back for a second, and look at this thing... it's pretty cool. 5 years ago, you all would have gone BONKERS over something like this.
What you say is true. However, the fact that they were stating that they were reinventing the amp in their own words has people dissapointed.

Anyways, I really wasnt expecting much. I was at least expecting something that would be comparable to the Blackstar ID series. Now THOSE are awesome solid states and I feel that is more what people were expecting

leftty

I don't have a problem with the new amp, maybe the price considering what it is. The disappointment for me and maybe others is gear or improvements of the high end gear already out there. Example, so you can edit the new amp with iOS so why no line6 edit for other pod series. the m-series of effects have been out for some time, nothing new on that end and why when putting this new amp idea together no way to use any of the existing pod series via L6 link or some other method.

Tmidiman

I love how Marshall, Vox, and Fender can make the same sounding amps for decades and they are called vintage, even when they release newer versions.

Line 6 makes one upgrade that is fizzy and underpowered, so what to do call the software before that which sounded great? "Ancient tech", "long in the teeth", "old tech". Really?! And all the newer versions of the Tube Screamer are so much better than the original.

When X3 was released it had great tone and it still does today. Even the first Pod had some great tones. Does the HD have better tones? I have a Pod HD and so far I found one, and yes others have found more, but the fizz and low DSP makes it difficult to justify when compared to the ease of use and great tones from the X3 series.

Well I can only hope for Line 6 to make HD2. Then you can all finally agree that HD is not as good as you think it is. I like Line 6, use their gear everyday, but in regards to the HD series let me be the first to say the emperor has no clothes.

Unnecessary

150 watts FRFR IS NOT ENOUGH VOLUME TO GIG WITH! Unless you're in a quiet jazz ensemble whose drummer plays with brushes, or you're a one man band streaming backing tracks, this is for home use only.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom