Line6 Amplifi - Continued

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GuitarKidd, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL Member

if thats true, its clever as hell for an idea on a lower-end product, but probably is not what im looking for.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Maybe the line6 guy will shine on this one to clear it up. I was thinking the tone match analysed the track, extracted the guitar tone, match it with X3 amps and cab and then it gave it to the user... like how Melodyne DNA separates every instrument from a polyphonic stereo track.

3. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Paul Hindmarsh explicitly stated in the Andertons video that the tone matching feature used metadata from the songs to find tones.

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Thats too bad.... i was really hoping they finally did something unique and cool... better not keep my hope so high for anything in the future......

5. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

It's still unique and cool, it's just not fully aware like Cyberdyne....

Honestly guys, this is a $400 product, what exactly do you want for four bills? It looks good, streams Bluetooth through a full range speaker system, integrates with iOS for editing, has the tries and true suite of POD amps and FX and looks good in your living room (which is where it's intended to be, not in your studio)

It costs less than my Flextone III did back in 2005.

So I ask everyone again, what's the problem ? Are you not getting enough for your $400 ?

6. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Ohh yes it gives enough and more for that kind of money, we are discussing this tone match tech, we can only guess it will not be only for this product but for many more in the future..... and we are just clearing up what exactly is doing and not doing compared to other tone match options in those other modellers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. saneff

saneff Silver Supporting Member

Bought one today at GC but haven't taken it out of the box yet. Demo'd it in the store and it was great. Will report back tomorrow.

8. joec63

joec63 Member

cool! 75 or 150w ?

9. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

There's no magic snake oil going on. The Amplifi app is simply using the song's metadata.

For example, say you play an obscure live version of a Megadeth song. There may not be a tone for that particular live version, but Amplifi's smart enough to pull down Megadeth tones for the studio version. If the band itself is obscure enough to not have any tones, Amplifi will look at its genre metadata and approximate.

Also note you don't have to have a song in your iTunes library to access tones. Search for "Beatles" or "Muse" and tones will appear.

But the main point is how easy it is to make and share your own tones. And once you've touched "Share", if some guy across the ocean plays the same obscure song by the obscure band five seconds later, he'll automatically see your tone appear in the list. He can then improve upon it or choose to simply jam.

10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

The problem we ran into was how would one digitally analyze and replicate the guitar tone of, say, a My Bloody Valentine song? What if there are thirty guitar tracks layered together? How would Amplifi determine the difference between a fuzz guitar or a distorted synth? There's technology to sort of pull off that kind of snake oil, but not in real time, and certainly not at Amplifi's price point.

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

As cool as this looks for other reasons, I would say I have found probably 5 great tones on customtones all of which needed a fair amount of tweaking to work with my rig/volume/setup. Even through various incarnations of pods, and most of them are related to the effects/chorus/delay settings more than the amp settings. There are way too many external factors at play in making a tone that will work with a lot of different setups. I have downloaded probably another 10 tones that were definitely passable, but there is no way I would call it "matching" by any stretch as they all needed serious tweaking to sound great. I am excited to hear some reviews, though.

12. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

I may return the 75 watt for the 150 just for the 1/4 input, although the drill idea was tempting.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

So, it doesn't match the tone. Therefore it isn't tone matching tech. Just sayin'...

Definitely not gonna get panties in a bunch over a $400 amp, though. lol.

I wonder how easy it would be to create an Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" patch that sounds like doom metal and get it upvoted to be the default "Eric johnson" patch? :banana

14. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Thank you for clearing it up! :beer

15. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

Actually, I just checked the specs and both have a 1/8 stereo aux inputs. 75 watts is plenty for my purposes, plus I don't need the 12 inch speakers of the 150 watt version. I guess I can run the HD500 into the 1/4 GTR input and run the app with "no amp" model, which just has a volume control. Maybe that was Line6's thought in running the HD500 into Amplifi. If so, they should trumpeted that feature, because I think they would sell a few more units for people who can't afford the DT series Amps.

16. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

Actually, they should call it "tone mismatching" based upon the gazillions of Customtone patches I've downloaded over the years.

Now the Axe-fx - that tone matches, while the Kemper "amp matches" (although Fractals "mimic" process seems to amp match now as well via a different process).

17. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

My bad, thought it was a 1/4".

18. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Well, I thought the streaming sounded like crap from my mini. Hooked the headphone out on my Win8 laptop and it sounded pretty good. I checked my mini, and I had the bass boost on for my smaller speakers. Set it flat, and it sounds great, even better than aux in, probably because of the impedance mismatch from headphone out to aux in. I do like 12 inch speakers tho.............

19. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Hahaha! That was one of the first things I mentioned early in Amplifi's development—"We're sooo gonna get trolled!"

Historically, however, the masses do a pretty fantastic job policing themselves. There'll be some clunkers, sure, but the best tones will always rise to the top. And it's not like we won't be paying close attention—not just to trolls, but also to those making consistently excellent tones.

20. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Let's be fair. That's "any site of this type". The old L6 site. ERUG site had 900+ posts. I started flipping thru them and found maybe 50 I could use for something and 40 of those had nothing to do with the song or person they were named for and I came up with some doozy presets. Just don't go in with a closed mind looking for one thing. That Mega Death preset could turn into CCR real quick with a little tweaking. I probably had 100 songs I hadn't thought of based on tones I would have never touched. It's a great way to kill 8 hours.
    :hide