Line6 Amplifi - Continued

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
150 watts FRFR IS NOT ENOUGH VOLUME TO GIG WITH! Unless you're in a quiet jazz ensemble whose drummer plays with brushes, or you're a one man band streaming backing tracks, this is for home use only.
I don't know... The other guitarist in my band still uses a Flextone II, and it's a 100W, I believe. It's plenty loud. Most of the time, he's too loud.

I personally used to own the Duoverb, and that was 100W, solid state, and it too was plenty loud. It really depends on the quality of the power amp and the speakers.

Unnecessary

Neither of which is FRFR....you have 150 watts split between 5 drivers with (probably) passive x-overs....try out a 150 watt powered PA speaker at band practice next time and tell me its loud enough for even a remotely loud drummer.

Badside

I don't know... The other guitarist in my band still uses a Flextone II, and it's a 100W, I believe. It's plenty loud. Most of the time, he's too loud.

I personally used to own the Duoverb, and that was 100W, solid state, and it too was plenty loud. It really depends on the quality of the power amp and the speakers.
Guitar drivers have very high sensitivity.

toelessfoot

You could mic it up, but you'd need at least two mics since the effects are processed through different speakers than the base guitar tone.
Wow that's interesting, how does that work? Does it only apply to post effects? Would definitely be a pain in the a to mic up.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
Guitar drivers have very high sensitivity.
Well, that's what the main speaker in the amp is. It's a Celestion probably voiced similarly to the speakers in their other modeling amps. As far the tweeters, I don't know what the power rating is on those...

Unnecessary

and its listed that the guitar speaker also functions as a "sub" for the FRFR system, and its also listed as a "Specially Designed" driver, which probably means its a hi-fi mid/bass in a guitar amp-looking enclosure.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
and its listed that the guitar speaker also functions as a "sub" for the FRFR system, and its also listed as a "Specially Designed" driver, which probably means its a hi-fi mid/bass in a guitar amp-looking enclosure.
Perhaps... It might be underpowered, but it might not be is all I'm saying. Line 6 has never really used traditional guitar amp speakers in their solid state amps, though. They've all been "specially designed" if you look at the specs. It would make sense to me that they would do something similar here.

Digital Igloo

The Amplifi, if it can be considered as indicating a direction that Line 6 is going in with their product lines, probably indicates they are starting to lose interest in us modeling power users.
Nope. More stuff in the pipeline to generate ridiculously long TGP threads.

To me, Amplifi represents workflow. It won't replace my gigging rig, and for all but the smallest venues, it wasn't really meant to. It won't replace my big studio rig, although its sound rivals the expanded version of POD Farm (albeit without dual stereo paths), so tracking with it wouldn't cause me to bat an eye.

But I end up playing through Amplifi way more often because the experience of playing guitar is no longer "Oh man, I need to hit the practice spot for the gig this weekend" or "Downstairs to the studio—deadline looming". Instead of working, I'm playing. It's effortless and fun.

And bonus! It's the best-sounding stereo bluetooth speaker I've personally heard. My girlfriend loves it too.

Just my personal experience. YMMV.

Here's my walkthrough from the other Amplifi thread.

More stuff in the pipeline to generate ridiculously long TGP threads.

More stuff in the pipeline to generate ridiculously long TGP threads. :banana

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
Let's all step back from the edge, for a sec. Take a deep breath. It's Friday -- be happy.

I'll never understand this close-minded, angry pack mentality that has developed at TGP over the years.

If you stand back and look at this situation, people are just hating on a product that's probably never even been in the same room with them -- nevermind them actually having tried it for it's intended purpose. And then the massive complaints about the marketing campaign -- as if no company has ever marketed their product as being the newest, coolest thing.

Get a little perspective, folks. Seriously. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't rag on other people because they may have interest in it.

If you're carrying around this much hate for a friggin' guitar amplifier...man, I just can't imagine how ****** your attitude must be towards more difficult things. Like, you know, life.

Badside

Well, that's what the main speaker in the amp is. It's a Celestion probably voiced similarly to the speakers in their other modeling amps. As far the tweeters, I don't know what the power rating is on those...
If the 12" is really used as a guitar speaker, then that means it's also not receiving 150W at all! That power is shared among the 5 speakers.

Also, it has to be used as a sub for the music playback, therefore it's not really a guitar speaker.

Badside

If you're carrying around this much hate for a friggin' guitar amplifier...man, I just can't imagine how ****** your attitude must be towards more difficult things. Like, you know, life.
It's called "The Gear Page", we discuss gear. Sometimes we're happy about a product, other times we're disappointed.

Unnecessary

The internet exists for sharing information and bitching about it, deal with it.

Some of us are regular L6 product users and were hoping that maybe, just maybe they didn't forget that they sell sub $1000 modelers and come up with a decent FRFR amplification system that would fit in the price range....they didn't, but the ad campaign was overblown for a company that reinvented the Bose SoundDock with old modeling tech.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
Also, it has to be used as a sub for the music playback, therefore it's not really a guitar speaker.
Sigh... That's what I've been trying to say. None of speaker in Line 6's solid state modeling amps were really guitar speakers. They were voiced to be very flat response, and were actually more like a PA speaker than a speaker in a guitar amp. It seemed to work well enough in those contexts. All I'm saying is that if a 100W Duoverb is freakin' loud, a 150W Amplifi might actually be pretty loud, too.

Ringleader42

You could mic it up, but you'd need at least two mics since the effects are processed through different speakers than the base guitar tone.
This is not at all how I imagined it worked. So it is more like a WDW with a full-range wet?

What happens when you plug something into the aux input? Does the signal only go to the Mid/Highs or does it go to the woofer/guitar speaker too?

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
Let's all step back from the edge, for a sec. Take a deep breath. It's Friday -- be happy.

I'll never understand this close-minded, angry pack mentality that has developed at TGP over the years.

If you stand back and look at this situation, people are just hating on a product that's probably never even been in the same room with them -- nevermind them actually having tried it for it's intended purpose. And then the massive complaints about the marketing campaign -- as if no company has ever marketed their product as being the newest, coolest thing.

Get a little perspective, folks. Seriously. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't rag on other people because they may have interest in it.

People are so loose and careless these days with language. I think approximately ZERO people "hate on" the Line 6 Amplifi. Literally zero. Disappointed with? Sure. Confused by? Yup. Laughing at? Oh yes. No one here who has ever seen someone hate another human being would liken that behavior to slagging a product on an Internet message board.

You kids and your hyperbole....:p

That being said, it's actually quite easy to size the product up because so much of it can be accessed now without forking over a dime. The modeling tech is identical to any XT/X3-based Line 6 doodad which we've all heard. The iOS app is free and downloadable, and I've already gone through it as have many others. It's not great, UI/functionality-wise. The tones are already up on CustomTone, so anybody with Pod Farm or an XT-based modeler can get them now.

The only thing that's unknown is how FRFR-y the speakers sound, but I hardly think that's the make-or-break proposition of the product.

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
It's called "The Gear Page", we discuss gear. Sometimes we're happy about a product, other times we're disappointed.
Yep, been discussing stuff here for a long time. But I think we just get so over-the-top. I'm certainly not perfect...and I've been angry about things too, but the level of vitriol for a product that has not even been on the market for a full 24 hours yet is just....surprising. :huh

I'm not saying don't discuss it, just let's get some perspective. It's a new guitar amp. It didn't eat anyone's puppy last night, didn't drain anyone's bank account, and it hasn't stolen our girlfriends.

I'm not particularly interested in it, but -- DAMN! -- this is an awesome time for cool, new, interesting gear. When I was a young player, my only options were a cheap Hondo guitar and a Pig Nose. I would have LOVED to have something like this back then. :rotflmao

Badside

Sigh... That's what I've been trying to say. None of speaker in Line 6's solid state modeling amps were really guitar speakers. They were voiced to be very flat response, and were actually more like a PA speaker than a speaker in a guitar amp. It seemed to work well enough in those contexts. All I'm saying is that if a 100W Duoverb is freakin' loud, a 150W Amplifi might actually be pretty loud, too.
They were "flat-ish" guitar speakers.
You don't use those as a sub for program content.

Of course, if anyone had the sensitivity specs for both we could stop arguing and start discussing :)

But the other point remains: this is not 150W going into the 12". There's at least 3 power amps totaling 150W. One for the "sub".

Trending Topics