Line6 DL-4 in Effects Loop Causing Distortion...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rt2726, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rt2726

rt2726 Member

I admit that I'm no expert on this stuff but I thought that putting the delay pedal in my FX loop would be help preserve tone not suck the life out of it. I'm really bummed. When I turn the pedal off I get great clean tones out of my amp (Genz Benz Black Pearl 30) but as soon as I click the delay on bye bye clean tones.... I really don't think it's the fx loop in the amp that's flawed because when I click the pedal off (still connected) everything sounds fine. The DL4 actually sounds better through the front of the amp. I'm totally confused. I have the volume low and no dirt pedals on. I've played with different settings and tried different cables and it all sounds bad.

I think I'm going to take the DL-4 back and try something else. This is the nicest amp I've ever had and I'd rather have no pedals than this..... Right now I'm running a tuner and a M.I. Tube Zone in front of the amp but that's about it. I ordered an Analogman Chorus pedal but I haven't got it yet. My initial plan was to run the Tube Zone and eventually another 'drive' pedal probably a Barber small fry in front and Chorus and Delay in the loop. Maybe I'm all wet.. :confused:

Thanks,
    Rich

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Line 6 pedals aren't designed to work in FX Loops. Try a TimeFactor.

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I used a Dl4 through the effects loop of a Budda superdrive ( and before that a mesa lone star )........with stellar results. No distortion whether the effects were on or off.....It sounded better in the loop than before the amp actually....

Something doesnt sound right... does your amp have send and return level controls on the loop ( my budda didnt and it still sounded great ) ?

I disagree with the poster that states they're not designed to be used in loops. Many/most users have them in their amp loops.

I have moved on to a time factor as my delay of choice by the way but not because of any trouble with the DL4 in my loop.....the TF just has more features.

I would email Genz Benz support and describe the problem............maybe those loops work differently then other loops ?? How do other pedals sound in the loop? If others sound good perhaps there's a problem with the dl4 and you could exchange it for another just to try before giving up.....

4. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

dl4 no likey line level loops...

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

THe DL4 was made for instrument levels and not line levels. Here is what L6 says about it:

"Q: Can I run my Line 6 Modeling pedal in a parallel or series effect loop?
    A:
    The Line 6 Modeling pedals are designed for instrument level (guitar/bass output) to be inserted between the instrument and the amplifier. The signal strength of a line level signal (i.e. an effect loop) can cause the input buffers to fail."

FX loops with level controls might be workable, but most insert types will not be compatable with the DL-4. Using a loop is really only an issue when you are using distortion from the preamp of your amp. If you are using pedal od/dist. just put the DL4 after the od in your chain along with your chorus. Pedals are usually designed to be run at line levels in front of amps and usually don't benefit from FX loops for tone. Exceptions would be the Timefactor as mentioned--but it can be set for instrument or line levels (before amp or in fx loop) and get equally as good results.

6. rt2726

rt2726 Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys! This board is amazing!!

The send and return do NOT have any level controls on the BP-30 so I'm guessing that they are 'line level' (especially after reading kldonegan's reply). Maybe they work good in fx loops that are NOT line level and terrible in ones that are??? As a side note, although this is not a great test, I did try plugging in a PODxtl into the fx return and it sounded fine (I didn't have any other modulation effects at my disposal today). I guess that's only half a test since it could be the send that's too hot.

At any rate, it looks like the DL-4 is definitely going back tonight. It sounds like complete crap in the loop, but to be fair it sounded pretty good in front of the amp. If it was a defective unit wouldn't it sound crappy in front of the amp too??? The reason I ask is that now I just need to figure out if I should try another DL-4 or something else that may be more line level friendly...

Thanks again for the help.

-Rich

7. rt2726

rt2726 Member

Thanks Angle Loss you must have snuck that one in before my last reply ;)

That really does explain a lot.

-Rich

8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I'm sure some have used them in loops just fine, but they weren't designed to be used that way, the levels aren't set for it.

9. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Remember, loops come after the preamp so the signal is being bumped up. You'd have to attenuate the signal somehow for the DL-4 to work in the loop.

10. brianf

brianf Member

I was surprized to learn this as well. On the Line 6 forum there is a sticky about this.

brianf