Line6 DL4.... Experts/builders - Help Please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JeffreyC, Oct 10, 2006.

1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

My friends DL4 crapped out on him - out of warranty of course. Line6 has been giving him the run around and are unable to fix it or offer him anything like 1/2 off on a new pedal or something. We are going to try and track down the problem ourselves and need some advice/feedback from those who are familiar with the circuit a little and may have experienced the same problem.

It simply won't power up - of course we've already verified the power supply is good.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. drolling

drolling Member

When mine died, I was given a $300 estimate for repair, which was more than I paid for the pedal.

And when I went to pick it up, I had to pay a $50 'bench' charge for the repair estimate.

Funny thing is, it worked again when I got it home. I found that by "rebooting" over & over (plugging & unplugging the power supply), or restoring the default presets (pressing down two buttons & plugging in simultaneously) I could get it running again for a few hours at a time. Eventually, it stopped powering up completely.

There are lot's of stories like this in the HC database, and I've read a few here as well.

On the other hand, many DL-4 users have had years of flawless operation from their pedal, I'm just not one of the lucky ones.

3. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

should they be expected to?

4. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Not the point of the thread man. I'll tell you what, the customer shouldn't have to pay a $50 bench charge to get his pedal back - they are still telling customers that and have told my friend that today. A $50 charge to get a broken pedal back??? That's ridiculous. The 1/2 price thing was only a thought and nothing more. Do you have anything to contribute to the topic? :puh

5. drolling

drolling Member

Yep - and you can believe I was furious, too.. I would have just left it w/them if I'd known about the charge before going down to pick it up.

Strangely enough, tho', the store happened to have a couple of NOS DigiTech RPM-1s sitting on the counter that day. They were blowing them out at a ridiculously low price, so I grabbed one. I'd tried to order one years earlier w/no success, so the whole thing worked out quite well in the end.

But the DL-4's still sitting in my closet, stone-cold dead.

6. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

its cool man...i was just wondering. it sounded like you may have expected them to. its a discussion right?

and yeah that whole bench charge thing can be kind of crazy. i can see it to a point but 50 bucks sounds kind of high.

my DL4 still works after a couple of years but i had a bandmate whose died after not even a year. i'm replacing mine...partly because i'm worried about it breaking eventually and partly because i'm tired of its sound

7. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Man - are these things still unreliable (i.e. are the latest batches bulletproof with all the problems ironed out?) I have never heard of a pedal or piece of electronics which has such high failure rate!!! It has actually put me off buying one so many times

8. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Did you try it with batteries? It could be the PS jack that's bad.

-jm

9. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Good point. I'll check with my friend - thx.

10. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Another question.

How are you sure that the power supply is good?

The DL-4 requires a special power supply because the unit draws so much current. If you are trying to power it with a supply that is inadequate, it won't work. There are aftermarket power supplies that will work, but they are higher output, and usually say that they work with the Line 6 floor modelers.

-jm