Line6 DL4 Modifications - How To

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by twostring, Feb 25, 2009.

1. twostring

twostring Member

So I've got the basic idea for the volume mods, the external tap tempo jack and such. I was wondering if anyone has installed a side-mount expression knob at all, and if so, what value pot did you use? 250K? 500K? What's actually used in the Line6 expression pedal?

2. twostring

twostring Member

Looks like I found it - the Line6 EXP uses an A10K pot. All it took was looking at the FAQ on the Line6 site :jo

So I'm feeling like modding mine out. I'll see about posting a how-to for this if I get into it.

Mods I'm thinking about...

1. Side-mounted expression.
    2. External tap-tempo jack.
    3. Rear or top-mounted pots for buffer gain and output volume.

Any other ideas?

3. twostring

twostring Member

I've got a Pedaltrain PT-2 board, and I have some rather essential pieces that need to be on the front row of the board, so I don't really have room to fit the DL4 there. It's a bit difficult to really get a precise tap when the DL4 is on the back row and your foot is just hovering over it, so I'd rather build a small tap tempo switch and have that either on the floor beside my board or in between a couple of pedals on the front row. I don't really access presets much, but after using the DL4 over the weekend I could see needing the tap tempo for nearly everything. And as long as I'm elbow deep in DL4 guts, I might as well go for broke.

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

The DL-4 is usually either the last or second to last effect on my board. My board is relatively large so it usually has to sit in the back left corner - at least for the sake of simplicity in terms of running a cable from my amp to my pedalboard. When you have to reach over the board, stand on one leg, and tap the tempo of a song while potentially losing balance, it gets a little annoying...versus having the delay at the bottom of your board so you can just rest your heal on the ground and be able to tap the tempo with the tips of your toes. The external tap helps a lot in cases like that. Of course, you could always just have the pedal sit at the bottom of the board and just take a slightly more inconvenient route to go out to the amp. But with the way some people's boards are set up, it's best to just have it sit in the back.

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I did a side mounted expression pot for my DM4. Works like a charm. 10k pot.
    Same as in the L6 expression pedal.
    On top of my DL4 I put a momentary stomp w/ a toggle switch in the battery compartment that toggles between the momentary stomp & the regular expression pedal out put. I use the momentary switch to ramp up the feed back for instant self oscillation ala the "Slam" switch on an SIB Mr. Echo.
    I've experimented with using a normal stomp switch up there to to switch between 2 settings, but I'm liking the momentary switch there now more.