Line6... DL4 or Echo Park?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John E, Dec 10, 2005.

1. John E

John E Member

Hi Guys, lurker here who finally signed up. I also post on Weber, TDPRI, and AGF. Anyways... My next pedal purchase is another delay... I bagged my Boss DD3 as it just really didn't knock me out. I know the Line6 Echo Park seems to be a controversial pedal here... but I LOVE it, at least from the few hours I've been able to mess with it at a local shop. No comparison with the Boss stuff or anything else I've tried. The problem is... I also love the DL4... I think the echo park actually sounds better and I like the size and price, but I love the loop feature and expression pedal feature on the DL4... I change my mind every 5 minutes on which one it will be... anybody have any swaying opinions on one over the other? This will be gigged in a pop/rock electric thing as well as an Acoustic fusion trio...

Thanks in advance...

2. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

My DL4 has konked out on me on occasion. I am not sure about the echo park, but the DL4 was a huge pain for me reliability-wise. I opted for a Boss DM-2, Ibanez AD-80, and an Akai Headrush E2 to cover the looping. I still have the Line6 DL4, but I can't rely on it...

3. John E

John E Member

I keep hearing about reliability issues with Line6... it's starting to concern me...

4. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

My Dl-4 had volume loss issues on some of the settings, the Echoplex ones in particular (which were my faves, unfortunately). I've heard the Echo park actually has a little volume boost, but I have yet to play one.

5. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I've owned TONS of line 6 products in the past and some have been great some have been not so good. I owned a Spider II 212 and it literally died on me after a little over a month of use! That one sucked because they told me I had to take it to a repair shop via line 6's warranty, and the only one in PA was 2 1/2 hours away! Also I know over a dozen people that told me horror stories of their DL-4's either randomly losing volume or just straight up dying on them mid-song. I had a Line 6 POD XT Live for a while that I only recently sold to pay for a cabinet, but I loved the delay models on it. I've heard good things about the Echo Park and it seems pretty sturdy with the metal case. I just bought a Digitech DigiDelay used on eBay and I'm very satisfied with it! If you are looking for a similar product to the tonecore delay, stick with the Digitech. No reliability issues and it sounds terrific! Just my 2 cents! :dude Good luck with your search man, and welcome!

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Sell the DL-4, keep the echo-park, buy a boss rc-20 or rc-20xl;

EP + RC-20 = same footprint as dl-4.

Problem solved.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Do not waste your money on a delay!
    Just play the same part over and over real fast. :)

8. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Now that's funny! Good idea!:)

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Flat honest - I prefer the Echo Park for tone.

But, and here I am being dead honest, I can't find an Echo Park that isn't noisy as hell. I have been through 3 of them now. And I know you have to keep trying, but I am done with it. Just sick of the chase, time and effort.

And the DL-4 was a great pedal for a long time for me, until it died on stage one night. And the replacement I bought at GC died the next night on stage.

I am done with their stompboxes, though the POD XT Live serves me well. Sigh.

10. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I've had my DL4 for a few years now, and I've never had any problems with it (crosses fingers now). It's actually a pretty flexible delay unit and sounds great.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I got my DL4 a little over 2 years ago and haven't had any problems with it.

12. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

after three died on me ...never again

13. John E

John E Member

I guess Line 6 has some quality issues? I know about the noise thing with the Echo Park, it supposedly had been with only certain setups, and supposedly has been corrected with a firmware revision on newer pedals... there is a way to check by holding the stomp switch down on which revision the pedal is that I found. The service issues are scaring me... but I have to say I really dig the way that echo park sounds...

14. straticus

straticus Member

I've been using a DL4 for about three years now with no problems ...... except one of the LED's only works when it's in the mood. Hey, I know the feelin';)

Other than that, works fine, sounds good. I want to try the Echo Park though.

15. John E

John E Member

Well... this was EXACTLY what I did! I haven't bought the Boss RC-20xl yet, but I have a credit at a local shop and I'll be picking that up after X-Mas. I love, Love, LOVE the Echo Park... honestly I tried EVERYTHING and nothing compares tonally... It absolutely KILLS the Boss stuff and the Digidelay tonally IMHO... I can sit and muck with this pedal for hours on end, and I am not getting ANY noise thru my rig, powering it with a one spot and 5 other various pedals. I have not gigged it yet though, so that will be a test... gigging it for the first time on Wednesday. I checked the Version per Muzique.com: http://www.muzique.com/line6.htm

I seem to have the very latest revision which I believe to be 2.0 as I get TWO Red LED flashes per the instructions for checking (I am in the midst of verifying this though).

Thanks for all the responses!

16. woude

woude Member

The dl4 wins for features, but in the end the echopark is better because it doesn't suck tone, it does still enough for a delay (come on) and it boost your signal just a little bit which sounds better than the slightly muffled, slightly softer sounding dl4. + it's much smaller and cheaper.

Mine doesn't buzz at all and sounds even better trough the fx loop of my koch classictone.

17. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

If you want to record loops... you'll probably like the dl4 more

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Rock on! I'm glad it worked out for ya!! I think the Echopark is the best delay available when you compare tone and features.

And you should love the Loop Station too... I love mine!

19. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I guess I'm lucky/the exception, etc. I've owned three DL-4s with no problems, and own an Echo Park now that is absolutely silent with a Pedal Power 2. I've never had the first problem. That said...

I never use the looping on my DL-4. I most often use two delays; one for ambience w/ clean chimey chords (DD-6 or Digidelay) and the other for solos, in the ducking mode. The Echo Park sounds better than my DL-4, and fits in small places. Plus, the tap tempo is usable on the fly.

I'd buy another one.

My $0.02.

Slick51

20. John E

John E Member

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for your input and the reply email… I am absolutely LOVING this pedal, it sounds absolutely HUGE. I’ll be gigging it with my electric project on Wednesday, so that’ll be the true test, but I am completely confident. This thing kills any other delay that I tried tonally… I have an acoustic trio with my dad as well, we were practicing last night and I showed him the pedal, I thought he was going to fall over LOL… especially when I started turning the time knob, mid repeat… all kinds of coolness going on…