line6 echo park

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Nov 27, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

micro-review.

Got it, not too impressed. If you're looking for a nice echoplex sounding unit, I think the Digitech Digidelay's tape setting sounds better.

With the Line 6, there's Lots of technology tied up in cute reverse and swell, and other effects but the basic echo didn't knock me out.

Additionally, the ducking feature did not work very well. It simply ducks way too much.

I thought the granularity of the delay time knob was too course as well.

I didn't care for the on/off switch that works in parallel with the echo tap time switch.

And the slider switches that allow you to switch between analog/digital/tape and the trails/no trails feel cheap.

Additionally, it's not true-bypass.

Unless you need all the bells and whistles, go with the digidelay.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I almost pulled the trigger on the echo park but decided to get the Digidelay instead, Love the tape delay mode in that pedal.

3. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I like the sound of the Digidelay a lot, but I find the tap tempo awkward to use compared to the Line 6 DL4 I used to own. Still, for around $75 used and a small footprint, the Digidelay is great.

4. drolling

drolling Member

I am a hardened delay junky and am proud to say I'm on the waiting list for an Echoczar.

In the meantime, I'm pleased as punch w/my Diamond Memory Lane. It's like a cleaned-up, souped-up Memory Man w/tap tempo & expression pedal compatability.

But on Jam nite at the local watering hole, it's the DigiDelay that goes into the gig bag every time...

5. Craise

Craise Member

Just wondering...is there any other pedals that can do the Line 6 Swell Volume and Sweep Echo? These two effects are the reason I own a DL4...thinkin about the EP for a smaller footprint. Yeah I want it for the bells and whistles... What else is there to choose from for these exact effects? Boss's slow volume isn't the same.
    :(

6. drolling

drolling Member

And the 'ducking delay' in the DL-4 is another cool effect that I really liked.

j's saying that it's too exagerated in the EchoPark. Has anyone compared this preset in the DL-4 to the ducking delay in EchoPark?

Are there other delays out there that do the duck?

7. jzucker

I don't know why anyone would want the ducking? It sounds cool on paper but it doesn't make sense from from an acoustical environment point of view and IMO sounds very artificial (at least as implemented in the echo park).

8. madsr

madsr Member

I really like the ducking delay in the Echo Park..I use it almost all the time...you can vary the ducking feature with the mix knob..the reason I like it so much is that I can have a nice echo at all stops without having a pronounced echo while I'm playing making it sound too wet or trippy. It's the main reason I use the pedal.

9. Legend

Legend Member

I don't understand your dispute with the ducking feature. I too use it all the time to great effect. I use it to provide the wetness and atmosphere behind the notes, without getting in the way; to then more pronounced and rythmic on sustained notes or pauses. You can really work it so that your playing and the incoming delay trail mingle and mix perfectly, blending from your playing to the repeating fading delay.

10. jzucker

It just sounds artificial to me. No doubt it can be used creatively but it's just the way I hear things.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Currently ducking manually w/a volume pedal after the wet out, but it's a bit of a pain. To me, it's one of the most useful features ever offered in a delay pedal. Ducking & looping were the only things I used in my (now deceased) DL4.

I've always loved the dramatic sound of long loud echoes, but of course it's just a big huge mess if you don't leave plenty of space between each note.

Way back in the days of audio tape I'd add this effect at final mixdown, so I was real happy when they finally invented a little box that could do it automatically in realtime.

Aren't there any other delay pedals out there that do this?

12. seanc

seanc Member

worst pedal i have ever tried. got another dd-6 instead. very happy with every boss purchase i have made and i am angry at line 6 for all the crap they put out. (well the single pedals anyway)

13. jzucker

Much like a real echo or tape which is what these things are supposed to emulate anyway.