Line6 EP hum issue update?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rabbit, Oct 3, 2005.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

A few month back there was a discussion here about hum issues of the Line 6 EchoPark. Although not everbody experienced these issues, quite a lot of users stated that the unit produces hum when in the signal chain (disengaged), no matter which power supply was used. I did as well when I checked it out in a store, even using the Line 6 power supply.
    Someone said that Line 6 is aware of the problem and trying to fix it!

Does anyone know whether this has been done up to now? I loved the sound of it and just did not buy it because of the hum.

Thanks

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm curious too.

I love my EP, and still use it all the time, no problems. The other guitarist in my band bought one, no problems.

3. rabbit

rabbit Member

It´s weird, isn´t it? Some people experience this problem, and some completely don´t. I think that is what gives these guys at Line 6 their sleepless nights ;)

4. rabbit

rabbit Member

Tried the EP in a store AGAIN and, with the signal through the Line 6 demo board with all the other tonecore pedals, there was so much hum you couldn´t really tell details of the delay unit´s tone. Maybe bad cables... maybe a bit of hum from each pedal or only from the EP, I don´t know.

5. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I had the exact same "wall of buzzing hum" experience at Guitar Center. It's a wonder Line 6 sells any pedals with a demo like that. Too bad because the pedals have great potential.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

using single coil pickups???

Pull the thing off the display...

Hum or Hiss??? They’re completely different.

7. rabbit

rabbit Member

yes, single coils. I think they were wired in 3 position humbucker style, you know what I mean.

And it might have been rather hiss than hum, a lot of treble frequencies instead of a bassy hum, just what these words sound like when you pronounce them. Sorry, my mistake.
    The guy said the noises might be caused by the old electrical system of the room.

I could not pull the unit of the display cause it was fastend to it. But I checked out a single unit in another store (a few month ago)and remember less but noticeable noise.

8. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

got it at GP with a 30 day money back gaurantee for any reason, no noise, but I had the sales guy pick one out of his stock with the latest s/n.

Works great with alkaline batteries or with wall wart. I wonder what input/output levels folks with noise are using?? I feed mine with a tube screamer, and go directly form the EP to amp.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

rabbit,

Sorry if I sounded like I was getting on to you. Didn't mean that. I just wasn't clear on it. Does the store you're going to have a for sell model, not in the display, that you can try with your amp and guitar?

Also, power can be a culprit. I have worse ground loop problems in my house than at most of the places a gig at. It's an old house with dirty power.

I hope that you can get a clear listen. As with any effect pedal there is some noticeable noise, but minimal. A little noise is expected, but I don't think it has any more than others in this segment of pedals. But it is a real cool pedal in my opinion!

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thanks Aaron,

I didn´t feel offended or smth like that BTW, no worries. It indeed wasn´t clear.

Actually, I tried it in two different stores. At the first store, on the display (demo board) and with the room´s old elictrical system (like at your house I guess) and at the second store a sell model right out of the box. Maybe I´m too demanding when it comes to noise levels but I thought it was a tad above the normal/minimal noise.
    Maybe it´s normal for that segment.

You are right, it is a cool pedal. I just hate noises...

Thanks for caring about my problem (three posts of yours), I appreciate your advice.

BTW, do you use yours in front of the amp or in the fx loop?

11. tedm

If you like, I'd be pleased to make you a clip with either my tele, or les paul, just tell me what settings, how long of delay and you'll be able to tell how quiet mine is. I'll play with it off, then kick the EP on half way through. Let me know what settings you'd like to hear.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

tedm,

that´s a great idea, thanks. I´d like your les paul, the "normal" delay mode (first one clockwise if I remember correctly), delay time at about ... let´s say somewhere between 500ms - 1sec or so and 2 or 3 repeats. The setting does not matter too much.

I hope it´s not too impudent to ask, wether you could make one clip without the pedal in the chain and one like you described it. Cause that´s the problem, the backround hiss when in the signal chain and not engaged.
    You would only the EP between guitar and amp, right?

Thanks in advance!!!

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I was one of the owners of the problem EP's that posted here. It's hissing that has been the problem. Line 6 acknowledged that the EP can hiss when used in front of a tube amp.

You have to judge on a unit-by-unit basis. I doubt that Line 6 will come forward to say that they have it "fixed" as it was almost impossible to get them to admit that there was a problem.

I tried about 6 of 'em. Great pedal. Hate the hiss!

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Maybe I should try my EP infront of some different amps??? See what happens. The only problem, I've talked most of my friends into buying TopHat's... I need to find a good fender to plug into...

15. rabbit

rabbit Member

I don´t know whether you´d call a Fender HR deluxe a good Fender but that was the one I experienced the noise on my second try in the other store. It´s really becoming a nightmare to me, this EchoPark, like a vicious circle. :)

Maybe I should really judge on a unit-by-unit basis. But that would not help if the EP generally has this problem in front of a tube amp. What a vicious circle, really!

And there is still another question, using the delay in front of the amp or in an effect loop? (see my other current thread)

Thanks for your patience with me so far ;)

16. tedm

I only use it in front of tube amps, not in loops, from '50s amps to new tube amps. Just get a good one, or a return policy.

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, I use mine with a good tube amp. TopHat Club Royale and Prince Royale. Can you bring your rig in and try a few with it? Guitar and amp??

That's what I'd do.

Also, I use mine in front of my amp set clean. I use multiple pedals in addition. Zvex Wah Probe, Strobostomp, Lovepedal Eternity for OD, Keeley RAT for distortion, Maxon Compressor, Menatone Tremelo, Modded Boss CH-1 Chorus, then the EchoPark, lastly a Holy Grail Reverb. Great results with all.

18. rabbit

rabbit Member

Bringing my guitar and amp rig to a store would be difficult. I have them 60km away from here where I rehearsal with my band and I don´t have a car. Unfortunately, there is no store near our rehearsal place which carries Line 6.
    Have got to check whether the stores here offer return policy.

The problem is that I would like to use a delay, especially in the context of my band, with a preamp driven tube amp, so fx loop operation would be helpful (at least to have better results in delay and echo).

And that leads to this problem:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?threadid=105227

...did I mention the vicious circle?... ;)

19. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I still have not had an iota of trouble with my EchoPark, nor any hum, hiss, or buzz.

--chiba

20. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

I spoke to line 6 about the echo park hum issue many times. they were aware and planned on doing somethig about it and calling me when they had a solution.

that was almost a year ago. still haven't heard back.

:rolleyes:

my echo park is long gone.