• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line6 FRX

GuitarKidd

Per L6 Facebook page they are demoing the FRX. Mentions something about getting the best "amplified" tone for your POD. Any ideas?

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
If that's a new product, I've not heard anything about it. Not that I know everything they do... So it could be a surprise, I guess.

It may just be the name they're using for the session. Maybe it's short for something like "full response X" (X as in HD500X or Pro X)?

slugworth

It's not a new product. See http://line6.com/podl2/

What is FRX?

FRX means "full-range experience." Line 6 FRX speaker technology provides the most accurate amplification and sound reinforcement for guitarists using modeling devices—so you'll hear all your effects, amps, and mic'd cabinets with exceptional clarity and detail. FRX is also known as "FRFR" (which means "full-range, flat-response").
And how exactly do they claim it's "the most accurate amplification"? I'm sure they sound somewhere between fine to excellent, but the unquantified marketing claims irk me.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
When Line 6 uses "X" in a product name = Same s#it, different package. Add an "X" and hype the marketing.

slugworth

Then when they've exhausted that, they will start repackaging the same old-same old with "Z" names, but with added LEDs and iDevice requirements.

Proco

Honestly, and it's not like I'm defending Line6 here, I don't think there's too much left to do in the modeling world hardare-wise. We have heads, combos, rack gear, pedalboards... is there really a market for an FRFR wedge with built-in modeling? The FRX (nevermind the lame "whatever-X" name it has) is as portable as a modeling solution is going to get. Want something even smaller? use the Zoom G3 or the new Atomic Amplifire. Don't expect a company to release all possible solutions for every possible need, no matter how niche it is. That won't happen. Fractal and Kemper both have basically ONE product and they're doing fine.

Pros use the POD HD Pro in their racks along with a footcontroler and FRFR wedges. Some others (but maybe those who don't gig that much) are fine with the HD500 and the FRFR wedges. Some others prefer the Dream Rig solution. Then we have separated stompboxes that sound just fine plus a bunch of products for bedroom players and beginners.

And their tones? Nowadays, if you can't find recording-worthy tones from a POD, Zoom G-whatever, Vypyr, S-Gear... (quite a long list) it's usually user error. Don't expect them to improve their modelling for a few more years.

Really, what were you all expecting? I must confess, I was expecting something more revolutionary for this NAMM... and you know what? I got it (in the shape of the Fly Rig 5 from Tech21 and the Atomic Amplifire), but not from Line6, and that's fine, because I'm not married to them.

Badside

All we need is a L1m (smaller StageSource speaker 500-600W with 8" woofer) for a compact FRFR solution for the HD500, where 2 of them for a stereo setup would still be reasonable!

And a L1t version for those who also want to run their vocals through it. (Can be done via the HD500, but I need that 2nd path for piezo)

JPenn

i was just thinking yesterday how i'm not really interested in anything new from namm, other than the modelling stuff lol. it is pretty amazing how much you can get for so little compared to years ago.

atomic definitely has my attention right now.

Badside

i was just thinking yesterday how i'm not really interested in anything new from namm, other than the modelling stuff lol. it is pretty amazing how much you can get for so little compared to years ago.

atomic definitely has my attention right now.
Well it's not like they can reinvent tube amps and wood guitars every year...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom