LIne6 HD500 vs Fender Mustang III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tochiro, May 14, 2015.

1. tochiro

tochiro Member

Hi,

I have an HD500 that I like on the whole except for the dirt pedals. I tried different things but they all sound more or less thin to me. I wondered how those sounds compare with the Mustang III. Do the MIII dirt sounds are better?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Man, get a dirt pedal or two that you like and just use them.

You like the whole thing except the dirt? That's easy.

That said, I like 2 or 3 of the dirt pedals in the HD 500. One one hand, it's the biggest weakness of modelers, on the other, the 2 or 3 that I personally like are actually better, for me, than anything I used to use in front of the box. ymmv of course.

3. dazco

dazco Member

Being a utterly dedicated tube snob for 40+ years i would said you're out of your mind if you had told me a year ago i'd be playing a modeler and preferring it to any tube amp i have ever owned. But i am, and i DO prefer it to anything i've owned from cheaper production amps to marshalls and boggies to a few boutiques and a few homebrews i built. It's not that the mustang sounds better, it's that it *works* better and sounds as good as anything. When i say works better i mean the amp sounds the same or very close from room to room, day to day, and even from side to front. (directionality is much less pronounced) Even the dynamics are as good and in most cases better than any master volume tube amp i've owned. The Line HD500? I dunno, haven't played that model. But i played a number of them all of which i felt were no where near like a tube amp in feel/dynamics.

All i can tell you is this....1-the mustang is phenomenal and 100% tube amp like in all respects except the bad ones IMO, and 2- theres a learning curve to getting the best from it and if you don't find the goods you may think it's mediocre or even lousy. (and every stock preset 110% blows !) Took me weeks to realize it's full potential.

4. tochiro

tochiro Member

Anybody else could compare the dirt pedal sims on both gear?

5. partytrain

partytrain Member

I enjoy the tube drive on the hd500. That's usually my go-to drive. I've used both the screamer and classic distortion with varying success with certain amp models, but tube drive works best in my experience. Also, even though they aren't "drives" I've had some success using both the tube comp and mid focus eq to push some of the Marshall models to higher gain territory.

I do not like any of the drives on my mustang
    3 (v2). When I used to gig with it, it would always be with external pedals. But honestly, I didn't like how it took pedals that much. It was very picky, and I seemed to be fighting it the whole time.

6. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I would mostly agree with Partytrain's experience, except there were one or two drives on the Mustang that I thought were worth using.

On the POD HD, you can stack drives and compressors. I've gotten exceptional results with various combinations of the tube drive, tube comp, boost comp, and screamer.

To the OP, on whatever sounds thin to you, try adding the tube comp in front of it.

7. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've owned both and always preferred finding an amp model with enough gain so I wouldn't need one of the modeled pedals. Like partytrain I do love the Butler tube driver in the POD with the Park75. In the mustang, The Fender Supersonic did the trick alone. Both are very good options. It sounds like you may need a dedicated pedal to go in front either way.

8. tochiro

tochiro Member

Thank you to all the posters. I have 1 good OD pedal but the Mustang does not take pedals well from what I read.

9. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I build my own OD's and Fuzz's...i still REALLY dig the Tube Drive in the M5 (same as POD HD). Actually very easy to dial in. It can sound full without choking out on the bass even when using neck pickups, which is always the balancing act for me. I agree on the mid focus EQ as well. I know a lot of people love that after the amp in the POD, but I use it out front of my amps and really like it as a boost. It's not quite as easy to dial in as the Tube Drive, but there's a lot more variety of sounds in there you can get to.

10. rublalup

rublalup Member

The Mustang is already an amp (with power stage and speaker)... so the comparisson is not fair...it will all depends on what you use to amplify the pod. That IME is the key factor to get a pleasant tone

11. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

Ive had mixed results on the dirt settings for the Mustang. I prefer one channel with higher gain and another channel cleaner. I've used several OCD variants with my amp and loved them all in front of the amp (I currently use the Ultimate Drive as a way to stop buying and selling more of the same damn pedal). The overdrive is ok, but can be very muddy with particular amp models. The fuzz isn't anything to write home about.

Now, I use the Ultimate Drive and have the compressor as my "stomp" model for that extra bit of oomph when I need it. I've never been a huge fan of the Line 6 built in drives having gone through most of them, but opinions and ears vary.

If you're considering a Mustang, I have to assume you're looking for an amp not just a floor modeler set for DI. There are threads on here praising the amp and some that dislike it. Im one of those that have been singing its praises as a great multi-use amp however, I do have a few pedals that pick up where the amp falls short.

12. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I sold my HD 500 (& several other modellers) shortly after I got the Mustang III. The amp drives sound great and pretty much take the place of pedals for me. There is no futzing with power amps & speakers. It sounds like a very good "amp-in-the-room" because it is one, in one 33 pound package.
    That said, if you need a lot of effects in complex chains the Mustang is NOT that.
    I do sometimes use a TS808, Xotic SP or EP Booster in front of the M III and they sound great into Fenderish models (Deluxe, Twin, Bassman). How it takes pedals depends a lot on the amp it is modelling. The Mustang CAN take pedals great! You just need to learn how.

I'm another one whose tube amps & most pedals are gathering dust.

13. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I spent a lot of hours dialing in the Hd500. Change from a Strat to Les Paul and everything needs to be adjusted. Frustrating.
    The Mustang is simple and easy. I've never needed an overdrive pedal with it. My tubes and my hD500 are also collecting dust and I'm saving $$$ on tubes.

14. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

When I use my HD500 I stack the Tube Driver and the Fuzz Face and it kills through FRFR or a tube amp.The Mustangiii is cool.I returned the one I had . Too many artifacts and I mean more than the fizz. I heard other weird things going on.

15. AD1982

AD1982 Member

I've owned both. Have a V2 MIII.

V2 Mustangs cured the fizzy artifacts.

The HD500, IMO, had better drive pedals. The Tube Drive and TS-style OD was really good. However, I find the overall tones and ease of use of the Mustang more appealing. The TS-style OD on the Mustang is good too. The rest, eh... fair at best.