Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Holy mother of crap

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

There's actually a "version" parameter on the OCD that let's you choose either the V2 or V4. :)

3. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

lets see/hear the goods!!!!!!!!! hoping for yamaha quality effects (spx1000/rev style verbs, UD stomp delays, 8 voice chorus!!) and updated vintage effects…
    veddy interestering!!!

4. olejason

olejason Member

From an aesthetics perspective this blows away anything else on the market by an absurd margin. It will be great to see if the sound are on par with the looks.

I see reamping is confirmed. That's awesome.

jmcorey and paulsroland like this.
  5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Silver Supporting Member

I am definitely interested in testing this out.

6. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

wood officially achieved and confirmed :rotflmao

FlyingsCool likes this.
  7. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

I think Line 6 will have an advantage in the fact that they're carried in almost every store but Fractal is not. Sure, gearheads and forums know Fractal but many others don't.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  8. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

In the video, I saw one of the footswitches set to "minotaur". I'm guessing that's their Klon Centaur model.

9. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

After looking at the website again, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that it's an aesthetically beautiful piece of gear, almost on an artistic level.

Just a lovely bit of industrial design IMHO.

MIJLOVER and jmcorey like this.
  10. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

DIgital Igloo:

Helix is running two of the fastest non-TigerSHARC SHARCs you can buy—the 450 MHz ADSP-21469s—with dual MCUs (one for audio duties and another dedicated to nothing but UI). If I've read between the lines correctly, they're the exact same DSPs that'll be in Fractal's AX8, but I'm just making an educated guess here.

Tybalt said:
    Isn't it still Sharc vs Tigersharc? Which, at least based upon the disproportionate price between the two, still suggests a pretty substantial difference?
    So the AX8 is around the equivalent of two HD 500Xs in terms of processing power I would assume.

Cliff@ Fractal: Yes, two SHARCs vs two TigerSHARCs. I don't know what speed processor is in an HD500X but I think it is less than 450 MHz.

Fractal Audio

11. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I was just looking at the Variax standard (on line ) but now available from various places, both online and brick and mortar.

Then I see this thread. Makes me want to sell what I can, to buy both , assuming I will like the tones, and I think I like the tones, very cool, well thought out and packed full of features ! They seemed to think of everything .:)

12. SmokinHalfNote

SmokinHalfNote Member

This might be enough to make me forget getting suckered in by the AmpliFi hype. Never more disappointed in a project launch.

The Helix looks promising. If the sound can match the packaging, I'll gladly add this to my stable, which currently consists of an Axe Fx II and Kemper Powerhead. That's some good company.

13. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

1) Great Landing Page design
    2) Great Product design
    3) Can't wait to get my hands on one and gig the crap out of it.
    4) The Line6 folks should go out and have a beer or 3 after all their hard work. Thanks guys.
    5) P.S. Don't forget about the gig bag or case.

paulsroland likes this.
  14. joec63

joec63 Member

Wow...what a great looking piece of gear.
    Can't wait to get my hands on one.
    Well done!

15. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

Any word yet on DT amp compatibility?

I see it has L6 link...

16. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

I was just wondering that myself since they seem to be phasing out the old DT stock. I'm curious if it's being updated to run with Helix or if it's slowly going away.

I really like this idea. I doubt they'd bite but I still like it.

No kidding. Don't forget the cost to L6 for all of the hours for R&D setting up a new platform from scratch. They now give us literally everything that we've been bitching for and yet some folks seem to think that it shouldn't cost that much more than an HD500X.

17. danonbass

danonbass Member

I haven't geeked out about a product launch since the Strymon Timeline and I'm not typically an early adopter. I've never been all that interested in purchasing any Line6 product except the DL4. I'm totally geeking out about the HX and unless the deep demos sound like crap I will be purchasing it.

It really seems like L6 listened to their user base and gave them essentially every single thing that they wanted for this release. Bravo, Line6.

I can't even imagine how hard it was for Digital Igloo and PhilM to keep quiet about this when people were screaming about how terrible L6 is during the Firehawk and Amplifi releases, lol.

18. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

When do we get some demos?!?!

19. SatelliteNine

SatelliteNine Member

Add me to the list of people lookin for an official response on dt25 and stagesource compatibility

20. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Helix will send and receive MIDI over USB, but the Mac/PC won't see Helix's DIN jacks as additional ports.
    Yes. The four stereo signal paths can all be routed to separate physical outputs. They can also be fed by separate physical inputs.
    Working on it. It's tough to list models with all the copyright stuff we'd need to include.
    Work on Helix started long before AX8, FX8, the KPA, AMPLIFi, or even HD500X (!) were announced. We've never considered it competition for anyone, because no amp modelers existed in the $1500 price point at the time. If anything, we consider Helix the central hub of a potentially much larger studio or touring rig.
    I'm ASTOUNDED that Helix didn't leak before noon today. Have literally been having nightmares for weeks.
    It doesn't.
    Hmm... To be honest, not really. L6 LINK implementation is much closer to how HD500X and StageSource play together. Helix's routing is so different from HD, there's no way to get it to work in the same manner. There are ways to manually accomplish much of the same stuff, as long as you don't mind connecting a MIDI cable and doing a bit of programming. We're still finalizing some things, so anything's possible.
    Yes. You can route these signals manually or choose which outputs the Volume knob controls.
    Awww, we were having so much fun saying "Yes" to everything, and you gotta go spoil it? ;) Helix's routing allows for pretty nutty in-preset signal path switching, but no, don't expect delay or reverb spillover across presets at launch. We have some cool ideas tho'...
    We did. All EQs are in dB and Hz.
    No, yes, yes.