• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Line6 Helix

veritechc

I just bought a JTV-69, any "best practices" or insights when using with the Helix? Looking forward to diving in when I receive it later this week.. FYI I have never used a variax..
Be sure to turn on the "per preset" setting on the Helix.

Be aware that when you save a tone ir records whatever volume that the Variax is on. So when you return to that preset the volume will be at that level until you move the volume knob on the Variax.

The Variax knobs can be use to control ANY parameter on the Helix or ANY device hooked to the Helix via midi!!!!

Get a VDI cable. It powers the Variax and allows you to use the modeled sounds and the magnetic pickups at the same time! Here's the one I purchased:
On the Helix you can process those signals completely separate!

Guitarwildman

I'll do my best to answer this while also playing it safe and not giving away anything that might get me a stern talking-to.

Bias on cathode biased amps.
Many people have an association that cathode biased = class A. This is usually not true. However, most cathode biased amps are running the tubes hotter than most fixed bias amps. The Bias control affects the balance of distortion between saturation and cutoff in the power tubes. Proportion changes depending on the idling state of a power tube; if it's idling hot, then there will be more saturation and less cutoff, and if it's cold there will be more cutoff and less saturation. The bias control affects where the idling state of the tube is "located"; if it's hot or cold.
Another way of putting it might be that we can virtually change the value of the cathode bias resistor in a cathode bias amp.

All these extra knobs.
If an amp has a small number of knobs, then we will invent the knobs in a way that makes the most sense to us.
First, let me say that the Channel Volume (ChVol) knob is ALWAYS a flat response, post amp model level control. This is like a fader on a console. It's in the amp model, but it's not tied to the tonality of the amp model. It's how I level different presets so that they play well together.

The Drive knob corresponds with the Drive or Gain knob on master volume amps. With amps that don't have a master volume, it corresponds with the Volume knob. So, on the Deluxe model that you reference, the Drive knob is the Volume control on the front panel.

The Master Volume knobs in Helix map to the Master volume knobs on amps with Master Volume controls. If the amp does not have a master volume control, then we add one similar to where an amp tech might add one to an amp if the amp was having one installed. In the case of the Deluxe, this is between the preamp and the power amp. This can be thought of as a passive volume reduction. Master @ 10 is like it's not in the circuit. As it is turned down, the level from the preamp into the power amp is reduced.

Tone controls. We try to make them fit the character of the amp. In the Deluxe Reverb, the tone controls are exactly like that or a twin reverb except the 10k linear midrange knob is replaced with a fixed 6.8k resistor. If you want to match the model to the actual amp, set the model between 6.1 and 6.8 (values drift in the real amps. My idea, though, was to make the midrange knob on the deluxe behave like the midrange knob on other black-face fender circuits that have a midrange control.

In other amps, tone controls gets invented on a per-amp basis. In the tweed champ, the bass and treble are after the amp modeling, but the midrange control is between the two preamp gain stages. The midrange knob can become a cool drive feature. In some amps, the invented controls come between the preamp and the power amp. In short, we tried to make it sound good, and we tried to respect what is happening in similar classic amp circuits.

Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please provide similar clarity and remove the blinders on my eyes regarding SAG? Your previous answer was wonderful...

68Injunhed

Helix ordered today! Quick question, can someone post the mod for making a regular Mission EP1 work with Helix? I believe there was a wiring diagram for several mods, but I can't find it.

Thanks.

a2dconverter

Helix ordered today! Quick question, can someone post the mod for making a regular Mission EP1 work with Helix? I believe there was a wiring diagram for several mods, but I can't find it.

Thanks.
Here is the EP1 to Line6 mod (EP1 is the same wiring as the Roland EV5)

Make sure that you use a TS cable

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

DavidE

Great, then it could be totally possible to do block saving in the editor, would be a killer option!
Since there are so many preset slots, it would be easy enough to make templates for each block type and put all your personal settings with custom names in the template. Not much different than having the block library in AxeEdit. Just a different way of doing it.

Interesting that Moke is trying to get Fractal to add Amp A/B (2 channels changing the amp settings without reloading the amp like Amp X/Y) that you can already do on the Helix. Nothing's perfect.

Yup

When used as a recording interface is it possible to send 8 separate mono signals to your DAW for simultaneous recording?
For example: 4 vocals, 3 guitars, and 1 bass.

Digital Igloo

When used as a recording interface is it possible to send 8 separate mono signals to your DAW for simultaneous recording? For example: 4 vocals, 3 guitars, and 1 bass.
Technically yes, but 6 of the 8 channels must be sent as 3 stereo pairs from three separate paths with Output blocks set to USB 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6. The remaining two are sent dry out USB 7 (Guitar In by default) and 8 (Mic in by default).

flyingbird

Hey all Helix users:

Just bought a Helix and have a few questions. If asked those questions somewhere else, I apologise:

(1) Can Helix replace my Boomerang Looper? I need at least two loops-- verse and chorus. Can helix act like Boomerang serial mode? means Once it finishes Verse, it goes to Chorus loop automatically. Of course I need to press chorus loop button at any point before it finishes the verse loop, no need to press exactly when verse finishes. it gives me time to change effects.

(2) The sales rep said I could apply effect on vocal, so how does it work? reverb delay is easy to understand and apply, can I use other effects like one octave down or 5th above?

(3) Can helix looper receive MIDI command from a drum machine?

Thanks.

phil_m

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all Helix users:

Just bought a Helix and have a few questions. If asked those questions somewhere else, I apologise:

(1) Can Helix replace my Boomerang Looper? I need at least two loops-- verse and chorus. Can helix act like Boomerang serial mode? means Once it finishes Verse, it goes to Chorus loop automatically. Of course I need to press chorus loop button at any point before it finishes the verse loop, no need to press exactly when verse finishes. it gives me time to change effects.

(2) The sales rep said I could apply effect on vocal, so how does it work? reverb delay is easy to understand and apply, can I use other effects like one octave down or 5th above?

(3) Can helix looper receive MIDI command from a drum machine?

Thanks.
1) The Helix's looper is a single phrase looper, so you don't have the ability to record multiple parts like this. You just record one loop at a time and layer different parts over it. So, no, it doesn't sound like it will be able to replace your Boomerang looper.

2) You can use and effect you want on vocals. The mic input can be assigned as the input for any of the paths running through the Helix, so you really just apply effects to those paths like you would a guitar or anything else.

3) You can control all of the looper's transport commands (play, stop, record, etc) via MIDI, but as of now, there is no MIDI sync capability with the looper. Actually, the Helix doesn't do have any MIDI clock capability yet. But even if it did, historically, Line 6 has never had anything like tying the looper tempo to MIDI clock or quantization.

Trending Topics