Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Haven't tried these new modellers so just curious....shouldn't you be able to remove the mic further from the cab to get a more room sound?

On a side note I have to admit though I'm so skeptical when it comes to all this modeling stuff....like what's really gong on when you move the virtual mic around on the virtual cab? Just EQ? Or perhaps EQ and reverb?

2. big_aug

big_aug Member

Wow, that might be it. I havent been paying attention to choosing mono/stereo for effects and stuff. I don't even know what I used.

What's the recommended way to do things in terms of choosing mono or stereo?

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

Everybody is a hack with this stuff when they're first getting started, the people who have advanced knowledge have that knowledge simply because they've already been through the process of screwing stuff up and learning how to get things done without the screw-ups. So just think of yourself as an 'expert in training'.

coderKen likes this.
  4. or8ital

or8ital Member

Think of selling my helix floor to get a helix rack. Someone please talk me out of it!

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

It all depends on which configuration is better suited to your personal needs. If it's just for the "cool factor," then the choice might be a bit more difficult. If it's in a home studio/music room and never gets moved, then the rack would likely be more practical. However, if you're hauling your gear around regularly the floor unit is much easier to deal with than a rack AND floor controller.

ur2funky likes this.
  6. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

For me, ( and I am no expert ) I put mono on anything before the amp sim, and stereo on my mods, delays, reverbs, after the amp sim. Just my way of doing things, as a rule of thumb.

Maybe someone who is more experienced with this can chime in.

chris.l.naish likes this.
  7. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

I can't speak for others, but having done a LOT of recording of real amps with real mics over the years, I know what a mic'ed amp sounds like. I know what one sounds like through studio monitors, though live wedges, through a small PA, through a concert rig, and through headphones. I've played over 5,300 shows and done countless hours of recording. I only say this to give my credentials for knowing the difference between "mic'ed amp" and "amp in the room."

But I stand by my assertion that others have noticed as well: to me, the Helix doesn't sound good through headphones. It doesn't sound like the "headphone" version of what I'm hearing in my studio monitors, nor does it sound as good as two other modelers I have through the same headphones.

I still love the Helix, but for now I don't love the Helix through phones.

scook likes this.
  8. leftty

leftty Member

Sometimes I am really glad I do not have the super or tone specific ears. I don't hear some of the little things some talk about or the subtle differences between a mic 1 or 2 inches off cone. I have never had a moddler that I was able to tweek with headphones then plug into my FRFR and get the same tone, as a matter of fact even with my tube amps getting a good tone at home at lower volume still meant tweeking at band practice. I have been able to get just about any moddler or amp sim software to sound good to me with headphones, as a matter of fact I noticed a big difference in a good way coming from my HD500 to the Helix, it was night and day. So if you are someone reading any of these post thinking about getting anything or the Helix itself do yourself a favor and try to find one and try it out yourself. If you like what it sounds like then you are good to go. Thats what it comes down to, doesn't matter what other person says or thinks.

scolfax and Guitardave like this.
  9. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I like your term "tone specific" - that's a great way to talk about it. In my case I can usually hear a difference - but I don't frankly care all that much. To me they are each slightly different and I don't really care all that much one way or another. Actually I'm finding it enjoyable to work with tones that aren't my typical ones as it pushes me to play differently.

Viabcroce likes this.
  10. veritechc

veritechc Member

This sounds great. A H9 and a Helix is amazing.

11. big_aug

big_aug Member

I came up with an easy solution. Finally. I just used the mixer at the end of the chain and took off 20-30db. That lets get a good range with the headphone knob. Problems solved.

12. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

After a full weekend of fiddling with helix this is the conclusion I've come to. Helix doesn't sound very good with any of my headphones. Bizarre is that If I use it as an audio interface, then Sgear sounds very good through it as does music playback etc.

I have now got best results ditching the phones out, hooking up a 4 channel headphone amp to the main L/R outs and using the amp's onboard EQ to EQ the hell out of the output on the headphone channel. Required a massive Bass Boost and a treble cut. On a separate channel from my headphone amp I have my monitor speakers, that require a flat eq. Also turning up helix master, but turning down the headphone amp output gives more "air"

Using Ownhammer IRs has helped massively too, as did setting up dual cabs on helix - as did bumping up reverb mix level by 10-15%.

It's really hard to describe what I am hearing through my phones, but it's very harsh, very dry sounding and very forward - almost like there is no bond between the reverb and amp signal, the amp sits on top of the reverb. It only sounds bad with Gain though.. Cleans are really good. It's kind of like the difference between putting your ear directly against a speaker, as opposed to standing 5ft away.. Changing cab model alters the tone but doesn't alter this listening effect. Much as I hate using flowery terms, I can only describe it as a lack of "air".

I've also noticed that whilst I can listen to sgear for hours, with helix I get ear fatigue very quickly, within 30 mins or so.

Also interesting is that my flat response Audio Technica headphones (these) sound really, really, bad. The budget Sony (these) headphones sound a whole heap better.

For anyone using the same headphones as me, or saying they get great headphone results, I would love to get a couple of patches to run through my system..

skinvoyager likes this.
  13. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Separate question:

I had a look at some Custom Tone patches and was wonderign why people seem to favour going effects - amp - cab - effects?

Why would you not put the cab/IR module at the end of the chain? After all this is what you would do with a real amp?

I get that a lot of post processing on recorded tones is done to a track recorded with an AMP/CAB sound - and maybe that's the reason, but given that almost all live tones have the speaker after the fx I'm kind of surprised that this isn't the obvious place to start? (all my other modelers do this too)

Hush likes this.
  14. Akeron

Akeron Member

Great sound! What amp\cab\fx are in the patch?

Phnurt likes this.
  15. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I like to use stereo effects after the cabs (which are mono)

16. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Ah, that's a good explanation.

Going to have a little play in mono tonight though and see if it makes any difference.

17. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I used to use the Send/Return loop of my amp for most Mod and time-based effects. It sounded better, so I do the same thing on the Helix.

Plus, why wouldn't one take the opportunity to get a better final sound? I do put some Mod effects in front of the amp, if I'm going for a specific sound, but generally I go for a more studio-type of setup.

18. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Yup, that's what I do But in that chain the CAB is still at the end.. you are going, FX AMP FX (via loop) CAB
    modeler tends to be be FX - AMP - CAB - FX

19. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Strange, I don't have anything resembling these issues with the headphone output on my Rack.

20. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Look up Impulse responses and that will show what it does. It has a time based component the way I understand it, not just an EQ curve.

-Max

hendrik7 likes this.