Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

I'm working on my annual Christmas piece for my friends and I have one track that is a Hammond B3 from Sampletank 3. Sampletank has a rotary on that patch but it just didn't sound the way I wanted it to. So, I turned it off, fired up an instance of Native behind ST and loaded up nothing but the leslie model. Adjusted levels a bit and voila! The sound I wanted. Have I mentioned how much fun I'm having with this thing? :)

tmuka, DarrellM5, abustama and 9 others like this.
  2. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

If I had the money....

3. Johnny Ninefingers

I can get a good MiJ tone out of a Strat, red compressor, and the Litigator.

superstratjunky likes this.
  4. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

that's a good idea and we also need his modded aiwa (if I recall right) tape recorder.

I'd like to see a marshall jubilee too

superstratjunky, LordByron and Blix like this.
  5. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I am doing the same thing. Right now I am down to 5 presets for four 45 minute sets of cover music from 60s to present. I am using just a few amps, a Plexi bright and deluxe vib. Two of the presets are for alternate tuning using the Variax. I feel like it makes my tone more consistent throughout the sets (a different tone for each song can feel a little strange).

Jarick and Johnny Ninefingers like this.
  6. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

7. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

8. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Well said @Frank Ritchotte thanks for the posts and the Trainwreck model ;).

MIJLOVER, MusicLaw, abustama and 3 others like this.
  9. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

One way of using the Trainwreck is lowering the volume on the guitar between 3 and 5 and for cleaner tones and raising the volume for crunch and driven tones!

scolfax, MIJLOVER, aepoc and 6 others like this.
  10. homersheineken

homersheineken Member

I wasn't really asking for your judgment, just a way to make a process easier. But I"m glad you feel better for getting that off your chest.

11. homersheineken

homersheineken Member

Thanks for the response!

Does this require the touch-sensitive to be on for the footswitch? I only ask because I can't have it on. There is some issue with it where it continually wants to go into a pedal edit mode without input from me. I had sent it in for a fix, but they disabled the touch sensitivity for the offending switch and now it's moved on to another switch...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Great great addition, it sounds and FEELS great to play. All new models are crazy good. The Trainwreck was one of the amps I most wanted on Helix, but I'd bet it would never happen. It makes me hopeful that maybe you guys can get your hands on a real Dumble... :drool

tmuka, Kladen, MIJLOVER and 3 others like this.
  13. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

The biggest reason they didn't sell was do to the shape. Had he made one that looked closer to a Super Strat & had a headstock that could be hung on a wall, I'd have bought one. They would even still be in production. I don't like things that look like bugs.:confused::worried

Do me a favor, grab your cell & do a recording. Place it just to the left or the right of the cab/speaker. Please don't talk, just play, adding a bit at a time. Then post here with Soundcloud. Something like Sean did below. Thanks. :aok

blowery and mjross like this.
  14. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

The first Helix LT I got from Zzounds was a defective one. It would lock up and freeze intermittently and when I powered it off and back on sometimes it would hang on the expression pedal LED lights lighting up and never get to the spinning Helix boot screen. I had not seen a lot of people talking about those types of issues, so I figured I just got unlucky and got the one built on hangover Monday by the grouchy disgruntled guy.

I sent it back to Zzounds, and as soon as they had confirmation that the first one was on the way back they shipped me another. The second one works fine and is an awesome piece of gear. I wonder if anyone has added up how much it would cost to buy one of each amp in the Helix? Being that there is only one Cartographer, there is no telling what that one is worth.

15. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I thought the Litigator was supposed to be a Dumble or at least an approximation of one. I heard that the real Dumbles had some type of resin or goo covering the resistors and caps so you couldn't recreate his circuits.

16. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I have a preset that cover almost the entire set list I use in 4 stomp/4 snapshots mode (some times I switch to 8 snapshots view), plus few special presets for some songs that need their own effects or are easier to play with custom made snapshots.

the flexibility of the helix is outstanding

17. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

MIJLOVER, mkr1, Tito83 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Johnny Ninefingers

Frank, in the ‘70’s a company called Burman built a 1x12 50 or 70wt combo with a three gain stage valve amp. I owned one and traded it, obvs, and I’m trying to remember what it sounded like. Have any of you Line6 guys heard or played one? Rare as hen’s teeth now, I guess. I seem to recall it was difficult to dial in, but once there, flipping hell. I regretted getting rid of it. One of my less good decisions. Worth checking out for the rarity value.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  19. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

Did you start stating the costs of the amps & pedals & stating the obvious?

Expand your horizons & bask in the world of the virtual wall of sound.
    http://tonequest.blogspot.com/2011/01/quest-for-tone-stevie-ray-vaughan-amps.html

I'd have an EJ set up, a Timmons patch, & then go to town with everyone else using the closets amp to theirs as possible. It's in there, so why not? You don't have to do it overnight! Just do one a week. :)

& it will sound like elephant dung. Reason being is that every Dumble is tailored to each individual & the only one that seems to get the most attention is Ford's. I don't think he'd be to keen on it being modeled. I'd be quite happy for just Mayer's Two Rock Sig. That's Dumbleish enough.:)

Brian Wampler says it's child's play to remove it, if you know what your doing. Ben would get a good chuckle & get to work. Like I said to Tito above, the Mayer Two Rock would fill that space better.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I have logged several hours on a Dumble Overdrive Special not made for me and it certainly didn't sound like dung! :)