Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Ampifire has Robben Ford's Dumble, so I know he will allow it to be modeled. But I like the Litigator, don't see why we need another Dumble amp. I'd rather have a Zendrive if we need another Dumble flavor.

arislaf likes this.
  2. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Having played/owned a few clones and amps inspired by Dumbles from Two Rock to Ceriatone, while what you say is true, I think the most difference is really in the type of circuit, which Dumble had a few. The Mayer is based on the SSS, the same SRV and Eric Johnson used to play, Ford's amp is an Overdrive Special. There's also the 70's OTS, a bit more gain compared to the 80's OTS. I'm more interested in the Ford thing really, but to have a clone of a great SSS type amp would be awesome as well. The Trainwreck made me very excited to see what will show up next.

3. John K.

John K. Member

Tell that to Line 6 about Marshalls! Haha

Guitarzman and weshunter like this.
  4. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Nah, a Helix LT+FRFR would easily cost more than his existing rig.

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

No intention to engage on a hostile level at all... Just making sure that I knew what you're asking. I thought it odd enough that I was wondering if I misunderstood. But the original answer I gave you did give you the info you're looking for. What you're asking for is not available in Helix as it is currently configured. I believe you also got the same response from at least one other member, so I feel confident that the feature is not available.

homersheineken likes this.
  6. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

FYI, many including myself run 8 snapshots per preset and the steps you described get pretty tedious when you have to do it 7 times. I don't think it's unreasonable to wish that an easier method existed for this process.

homersheineken likes this.
  7. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

It is obvious the core/source code exists to make it possible as evidenced by the fact that all Wahs and a few of the Pitch/Synth blocks default to Bypassed when added to a Preset. It would just be a matter of adding the menus and navigation to accommodate.

8. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

You could just play the same song over and over and that would cut down on snapshots..

coderKen and ChuckR like this.
  9. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

We'll never see that Ford amp & I highly doubt any of the others are anywhere near as good as his. #justsayin'
    My guess is that the OS distorts a tad sooner than the SSS. & after listing to John Suhr & Dave Friedman on Tone Talk about circuits, I'm thinking that both circuits have that same headroom push those amps are known for. That's the jest of the amp & that's the character I'm hoping for is all. We can add any of the TS-808 based drives to our tastes to get closer to those differing drive tones. I just want it to get a easier Lenny tone with lighter, lower strings. Hoping is the key word as don't have those visegrip hands that Stevie had. I'm a wimp.:D

Hows his credit? I think Sweetwater has financing. But I bet he's married & the wife would castrate him if he did that.:D

FlyingsCool likes this.
  10. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

ha ha - very true. we could end up with 2 dumbles, a two rock, a bludotone and the litigator before this is all said and done.

11. burningyen

It's more that he's fresh out of college, just moved to NYC and trying to get on his feet financially. Yikes, I just realized that I've been playing guitar longer than he's been alive. :eek:

12. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Member

That just makes reverse engineering a bit more difficult, but definitely doable. The vast majority of circuit nodes attach to something off-board, so the components can be measured or inferred using bench equipment to measure between them. I'm sure this has been done many times by many boutique amp builders.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  13. arislaf

arislaf Member

Many marshalls still no jcm 900 :(

14. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I don't think Line 6 will sell Ben. He's too valuable. Oh, you mean the amp?! :oops::D

It's funny, though, because when Helix was new I saw many highlight the fact that Fractal had so many more Marshalls (and M. Flavours) than Helix, and that they should add more. I don't think they necessarily going to choose the models people crave most first. I think they'll get to then eventually, but I think they sometimes just have to do things in their own order and tempo, and I think they're doing quite a good job! :) But instead of hunting down a Dumble, I'd be more than happy with a Two Rock (maybe that T1?), or something in a similar vein, maybe the Hedgehog?

He doesn't hang out on TGP, does he o_O

FlyingsCool and Guitarzman like this.
  15. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Do you have it hooked up via USB when it freezes? Mine used to with the old Helix editing software, but I'd just unplug the USB cable and it would come back fine. Hasn't happened with the new software, though. And it's great that they built a method of reconnecting when Helix and the computer become disassociated for whatever reason.

FlyingsCool and hotrats73 like this.
  16. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

When is the next firmware update on these?

FlyingsCool likes this.
  17. ricstudioc

ricstudioc Member

Hmmm - that's it, I'm starting GoFundMe page - "Buy Ben Adrian". I could clear out a guest room - I have a pool....

18. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Before Ken sold the company, they'd sold about 25,000 Flys, plus Niteflys, etc. So it wasn't a colossal failure. But it wasn't a Strat, Tele or Les Paul in terms of sales. To me, the shape was sooooo threateningly rock and roll. And it played amazingly. My two still do!

19. EtherealSoul

EtherealSoul Member

Is there a reason you want me to record my monitor audio with my cell phone, rather than post recordings direct in from the Helix?

20. burningyen

I don't think so, and for his own protection I intend to keep him in the dark!

MIJLOVER, coderKen and FlyingsCool like this.