1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Finally got around to building a cartographer patch and you guys are right, it kills. Used it in rehearsal tonight and I can get just about any amount of gain I need out of it with my guitar volume knob. Great cleans with it rolled back too. I used a LRS a-type IR and really dug it, although it sounded good through a bunch of the IR’s I tried.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Mine, too. I'm a little more iffy about taking 'em out since Harman abandoned the brand but they're amazing instruments.

3. Holdsworthy

Holdsworthy Member

The Song Remains the Same*

*of course, you'd need two Helixes in series to ensure the minimum threshold for gain is met to play that tune

4. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Just a quick shout out and thanks again to Frank R and the gang at L6 ...... without going in to details, I have recently received a level of support and service which has left me gobsmacked [ in the best possible way :) ] .........nearly 40 years messing around in "this game" and I have never recieved such service ... totally over-and-above anything deserved let alone wished-for or expected !! :) :)

Thank you.

Ben

tmuka, MIJLOVER, SMT and 9 others like this.
  5. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Yes, happend at home so was connected to my mac with the helix edit open. both became unresponsive.

6. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Or silver jubilee :( or the JVM Satriani :( Or the JCM 2000 TSL (Jeff becks choice of amp) :( or the very good blue 30 year anniversary amp :( or countless of modded goodies say whatever you want but they sure did some great amps

7. rubytopaz

rubytopaz Supporting Member

I've been asking fore a treble booster since day one. I own five treble boosters. Three Fryer (Brian May touring, Brian May Plus, Custom Deluxe) an Electrolead RSB and a Crispy Cream. They are all great pedals. The Fryers are AWESOME. It's what Brian May used on the road for many years. He now uses a mini treble booster that he clips on his strap, before his wireless, made by Knight Audio Technologies. Schematics are all over the web. I haven't been using my Fryer custom made Deluxe, because I want to go directly into Helix...I miss it. Brian used the germanium Rangemaster for the first few of albums...until he lost it. Then, in the mid 70s, it was a silicon booster made by Pete Cornish. From then on, it was silicon. Tighter, more punch. What would be REALLY cool is to have a a model of a treble booster with a switch that toggles between germanium and silicon. That would cover everything. The thing I like about the custom Deluxe treble booster, that Greg Fryer built for me, is that it has a level knob, so I can adjust the amount of boost I want, depending on the amp model that I'm using...he built it for me to use with my Line 6 Vetta. Treble boosters were made to push tube amps into an upper midrange distortion (don't let the name "treble" mislead you). They didn't always play well with modeling amps. This did (I did a demo on it with the Vetta). A silicon booster like that with a switch to go to the original germanium Rangemaster circuit would be cool.

8. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

Pretty much every day at this point, haha. And the cool thing is the install is totally automatic :)

rubytopaz and mbenigni like this.
  9. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Hey, I'd love a JVM410HJS or Friedman JJ100 as much as the next guy, but just know that they're getting an equal number of complaints from people tired of new models being Marshall-derivatives.

scolfax and MIJLOVER like this.
  10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

^^^ THIS ^^^ And YES, I've already voted them up on IdeaScale in case you're wondering. There are several requests for treble boosters there...

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/841535

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/916997

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/821599

11. homersheineken

homersheineken Member

Yeah I agree its not. I had been doing what you suggested. I think @Digital Igloo's explanation explained it. No big deal, jsut looking for a better process. ;)

12. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Used my very slightly modified MBritt presets again at rehearsal last night and they sounded even better to me this time. I still have a tiny bit of tweaking of my snapshots to do, but they really do sound nice in a full band mix.

13. scolfax

scolfax Member

First, I can't think of a multi-effects unit that has a treble booster effect. So no cred deducted if Helix just can't do it.

The reason I mentioned it the way I did was that I wonder if there is a technical reason why Helix can't do it "right". Everyone describes the effect not as a sound generator per se, but as a device that causes the amp after it to respond in a specific way. So if the amp blocks can't respond the way they should to a treble booster then it wouldn't make sense to include one.

The fact that you were able to get an external treble booster to sound good with Helix makes me hopeful.

rubytopaz and FlyingsCool like this.
  14. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

There's always editing the preset by hand... Should be relatively simple to write a simple script to turn off a given block in all snapshots for someone who's good with that stuff.... (IOW, save preset, run script, reload preset)

15. homersheineken

homersheineken Member

THat is true, but I'd rather not - even though I do edit json data in my day job. See how this is becoming like work? :)

On a separate note, ever since upgrading to 2.30, I cannot get the USB 7 (dry signal) to be recognized by Reaper. USB 1 & 2 get a level, but for some reason I cannot get USB 7. Any others having this issue?

EDIT: I see the issue now. It changed the global setting for USB 7. I changed it to Variax (from guitar) and it works fine now.

16. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

That pedal as you described it would be freaking awesome.

rubytopaz, FlyingsCool and scolfax like this.
  17. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Is the Studio Tube Pre no longer in the preamps? I don't see it.

Edit: Found it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    LordByron likes this.
  18. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Actually, Frank and Line 6 have shown a level of customer service to me as well, that far exceeds anything else in the Music Industry that I have ever heard. You summed up my thoughts very well.
    To anyone considering purchasing a Helix or LT, you should give them a try (and spend some time with the unit) and see how you like it. Line 6 has really come a long way in the past couple of years.
    Thanks, @Frank Ritchotte

19. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Thank you gentlemen but you deserve great service and we thank you.

tmuka, Guitarzman, travis_38 and 9 others like this.
  20. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I ask out of ignorance, but is it not possible to simulate a treble booster with a graphic EQ with its volume boosted? Maybe goose it with a low gain OD pedal...?

I have very little experience with them other than a Catalinbread Naga Viper - which purists probably don’t even consider a real treble booster.