Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Same to you Frank Happy New Year to you and the Line 6 team! Huge is a great word to describe the Helix it"s been an awesome ride so far and I'm looking forward to putting the pedal to the metal in 2018! ;)

FlyingsCool and Phnurt like this.
  2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Obviously, it will be a mini Helix with a single mind-reading footswitch. Touching it with your finger creates a patch for the tone you hear in your head, and hitting it with your foot activates whichever snapshot you are thinking of at the moment. And, it will all be done with accompaniment by soft creatures with fuzzy tails!

3. Gtr-for-hire

Gtr-for-hire Member

Perhaps if you were a Telecaster into a Fender Twin guy, that 6k cut would make a world of sense, lol. I lean toward bright sounds, but I find that at gig volume through FRFR I have to cut at around 6-8k for cleans and as low as 3-4k for dirty tones. Just having the ability to do those cuts (along with numerous other tone adjustments) with the stomp of a single switch is still mind blowing to me.

FlyingsCool, tmuka, MIJLOVER and 2 others like this.
  4. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Although I still prefer playing through monitors wondering if anyone has plugged in directly in front of a Bassman with the Helix! Been playing through it with no amp models just the effects pedals and getting some nice bluesy tones..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    FlyingsCool, Spec and MIJLOVER like this.
  5. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

A new feature I'd like to see is the ability to assign a +/- delta value of a paramter to a footswitch and not only the min max (wich is an a or b, actually) like it is now.

I think being able to assign a delta would be awseome and will integrate better with spanshots in some occasions expecially if you have the same patameter controlled both by a shapshot and a footswitch.

for example assigning a positive delta to the the gain parameter of an amp will let you freely decide the starting point of your gain level and use the footswitch to increase (or decrease) it. It would be more flexible.

6. mjross

mjross Member

Same pedal I’m using! However, I could not get auto engage to work. Any hints on how to do the auto engage feature. Thanks for your time.

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I mainly use it as a full rig but have used it in front of a Bassman or Princeton
    a few times and it sounds killer. It helps that one of my all-time favorite drive combos, a Rat boosted with TS, is in there!

FlyingsCool and MIJLOVER like this.
  8. -Empire

-Empire Member

pedal edit mode kinda does that already

9. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Here are all the settings for mine.
    The Mission is plugged into Exp Pedal 3 on my Helix.
    Go to the 'Bypass Assign' screen.
    Set Switch to EXP Pedal 3 (or select "Learn" and move your pedal)
    Position at 5%
    Wait at 300ms
    MIDI in- Off

Next go to the 'Controller Assign" screen
    Set Parameter to Position
    Set Controller to EXP Pedal 3 (or select "Learn Controller" and move your pedal)
    Min Value - 0%
    Max Value - 100%

Your pedal has to be wired TS, not TRS. On mine I just had to disconnect the green wire going from the pot to the jack.
    Use a standard TS cable.

Hope that helps!

10. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

But way less conveniently. You have to get into pedal edit mode, then pick the block, and the parameter, possibly paging to get there, and manually increase or decrease the parameter by however much you want, which you have to remember. If you want to affect multiple parameters it's pretty much impossible during a song.

I'd much rather simply configure a footswitch to increase amp gain (say) by some amount, and have that apply regardless of what the current snapshot already set it to. Pressing it again would reduce that parameter by the same amount.

However, as much as I like this idea, there's a wrinkle. If the footswitch doesn't toggle between two absolute values, how does it know whether to go up or down? Here's what I mean:
    - Say snapshot 1 sets gain to 3, snapshot 2 sets it to 5, and the footswitch amount is 1. You recall the preset with its default snapshot 1, gain is at 3. Press the footswitch, gain goes to 4, press it again, gain is back to 3, again and it's back to 4. Easy, simple and clear.
    - But now you recall snapshot 2, so gain is at 5. What does the footswitch do now? Intuitively you'd want it to increase the gain, because snapshot 2 hasn't already been "footswitch increased", even though snapshot 1 has.
    - To do this right, it seems like Helix would have to remember the already-pressed-or-not-ness of every footswitch configured like this, and track it separately for each snapshot.
    Seems doable, and not super tricky for Line 6 to program, but it is kind of significant new tech to build, and document, and definitely less straight-forward for players to get their head around and manage in the heat of a show.

hotrats73 likes this.
  11. mjross

mjross Member

Thanks! I do appreciate you taking the time to provide this info. I’ll give it a try when I get back to the studio. Thanks again and have a happy new year.

12. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

update, I've done 3 gigs with this power supply for the G10... same charge... 12 hours.. probably will charge it before the next one :)

FlyingsCool, tmuka, abustama and 3 others like this.
  13. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

I've had this magnificent piece of machinery since September. I still don't have a clue what I'm doing with it and haven't taken much time to really get to know it. That being said...DAMN! It really is special. Between the stock presets, ownhammer IR's and Fremen's presets I've had a ball. I've set up two Yamaha DBR 10's in corners of the music room and it's so much fun to play through.

Really great job done by Line 6. I had the HD500 years ago, a pocket pod and some L6 stomp pedals and this is so far beyond them.

It's a beast though. I'd love it if it had a handle or there was a smaller version of it. That being said, WOW! Thanks

fremen, Phnurt, tmuka and 4 others like this.
  14. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

yeah, it won't work for every situation.

Is not that different from what it is now.
    now you can toggle between 2 fixed values with a push of a footswitch, what I propose is to be able to toggle between the current value plus a positive (or negative) fixed delta.

a really cool and useful solution of the possible conflicts between snapshots and footswitches would be a new feature :)
    the ability to set a single footswitch as independent from snapshots.

The idea of the delta came beacuse I set gain levels (crunch, mid gain, high gain) with snapshots: I have a fixed gain on the plexi and increase gain on the teemah!
    but if I'm in my crunch snapshot and go into 10 footswitch view I'm not able to switch to mid gain without going back to snapshots.

Having a footswitch assigned to a gain delta for the overdriv will let me cover both situations. Of course I will have to include that footswitch bypass status in my snapshots instead of direcly assign the teemah! gain under snapshot control.

an example;

snapshot 1 crunch: amp gain 6, "delta" footswitch controlling the teemah! increase in gain OFF
    snapshot 2 mid gain: amp gain 6, "delta" footswitch ON

you see that in this case I can go to 10 footswitch view and always change my distortion level from crunch to mid on the fly.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. guitarsan

guitarsan Member

Plug it in and play! I have one, it’s awesome. I use the knob in the back all the way in “flat” position as an FRFR.

JCW308 likes this.
  16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Thanks, I am sweating this one - it was a big expense for me to go to the Helix and Gemini 1.

17. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I don't think it takes much horsepower to run Native efficiently and my system isn't working hard at all. I have a MSI GE62 laptop, i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz, 12GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1 TB Hard Drive and Nvidia GTX970M graphics. I would imagine a decent i5 with 8GB ram would run it just fine though.

MusicLaw likes this.
  18. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Had some extra time to dig in to the Helix the last few days and have noticed since the 2.30 update I been having to do a lot more Hi and Low cuts.. Which is fine / ( more tweaking ) :D I actually think its a lot more realistic and the stock cabs sound even better!

Phnurt and gtr37 like this.
  19. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I thought that too the cabs and overall fidelity of the amp tones sound better
    Running 2 212 drZ cabs
    Sm57 on one Sennheiser421
    On the second sm57 mic distance pulled back a bit
    421 w25% reflections to get some air
    Sounds great w Archon

Phnurt and Guitarzman like this.
  20. BoxWes

BoxWes Member

An E played on the 24th fret of your 1st string is 1318hz. 6k is another 2 1/2 octaves up. There is not much usable guitar information up there. Maybe some air, but that is about it.

FlyingsCool likes this.