Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. arislaf

arislaf Member

Hey guys, has anyone ever made an ir from line 6 cabs?

2. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

try a steep low pass filter, 36 dB/oct for example, @6 k or liseten to your distorted guitar without a speaker and tell me there's nothing useful above.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    tmuka and TheMinion like this.
  3. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

A hard bandpass that cuts a guitar sound at 5-6k does make the sound pretty lifeless.

All that whoosh and fizzie-pop is a shame to neuter and sterilize away from your tone.

tmuka, Phnurt and hotrats73 like this.
  4. BoxWes

BoxWes Member

But the Helix is not 32db/oct, it's 12db. There is definitely air and life up there, but my point was 5-6k @ 12db/oct is not heavy handed. Most guitar cabs roll off naturally at around 18db between 4k and 5k.

Spec and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  5. rubytopaz

rubytopaz Supporting Member

When I first got Helix, when it first came out, I was having a rough time getting rid of the spike through the ear thing going into my L2ts. I added the subs and got my punch back. Initially, I was using the filter to cut highs. A few firmware updates down the road, it was sounding really good...then I found out that the filters weren't being saved in the updates that I had done, but they still sounded good (maybe my hearing got screwed up even more than it was), so I never went back to cut the highs. When recording, I go through two C.A.P.I. V26 mic pres and it sounds GREAT. If I were to cut the highs in Helix, it would sound dull and woofy. When mixing, I always cut 16k to get rid of any fizz and sonic info I don't need. I also cut 60hz to 80hz, to make room for bass and kick.
    Again, after playing the intial spikey Helix, maybe I lost some more top end in my hearing, but it's working for me fine now.

Johnny Ninefingers and Phnurt like this.
  6. rubytopaz

If most guitar cabs roll off around 18db between 4k and 5k...shouldn't the internal irs also do the same, being that they are models of those cabs? Any extra highs are what a mic in real life would add...and, if it was being mic'd in real life (live or in the studio), those frequencies would be there...which is why (just like in the studio) mic choice is important. I have the coles 4038 ribbon mic on one of my cabs and a Shure SM57 dynamic mic on the other. Works for me.

GtrWiz likes this.
  7. rubytopaz

Wouldn't these cuts get rid of the "air" in the room that the mics pick up?

Johnny Ninefingers, tmuka and Phnurt like this.
  8. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

How was everyone's NYE gigs?

I got to use our new P.A. with the new band (Line 6 L3 and L3s out front) with everything going through the P.A. system. It was also out first gig with everyone on IEMs. Everything went really well and I was able to record the whole show from our digital mixer into reaper on my laptop. We played at a place that doesn't usually have bands, it was a sort of last minute thing when the owner contacted us about playing. The Helix and Variax performed like champ!

I had issues with my lighting gear which has never given me any problems before (I had to set them to a manual pattern).

FlyingsCool, tmuka, Phnurt and 5 others like this.
  9. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Like the actual cabs the Line 6 made for their amps? Would be an interesting exercise, I suppose...

I wonder if anyone has created Kemper profiles of a Spider Valve? :confused

arislaf likes this.
  10. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

You're not wrong, with my 32 dB/oct (actually is 36 my typo!) Iwas just pointing out that what's above 6k is an important part of the character of a guitar sound.

We can't say that what's over 6k is not important because it is.

Of course what is important for me may not be important for another player and, again, what's useful in a live situation might be counterproductive in the context of recorded music.

Cutting before going into a tube power amp and cab is of course not the same thing as cutting after an IR before going into an FRFR cab.

I'm a sound engineer I and I apply low cuts on guitars if needed.

What don't agree with is the general statement we often read that you need to cut to make the helix sound good and that the reason is that an IR reproduce a close miking set up and not a cab in a room.

IRs are close miking "captures" but I can't say that every time you close mike a cab you need yo apply a low pass.

11. ricstudioc

ricstudioc Member

First time in... wow, I don't even know - 15, 18 years? - that I didn't gig. Rather enjoyed just sittin' around the house. Had Helix fired up the whole weekend - the Cartographer may be my new go-to, pretty much covers all the bases, tho I'll have to get used to snapshots I guess to get the most out of it...

Ya get to a certain age - and it's safe to say I've arrived - and a new year is kinda just another year. Which ain't to say I'm not gonna enjoy it - I've already started...:)

Johnny Ninefingers, Phnurt and VCuomo like this.
  12. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

This years gig was just a few miles from my house, so it was an easy one. We didn't even plan to play on NYE this year but got asked by a bar owner friend to play his place.

-Max

13. BoxWes

BoxWes Member

That is actually a great question, I would imagine than a well made IR is going to take into account the natural roll off of the cab, the frequency response of the microphones and the room. I want to clarify, I do not find the need to low pass the cabs, I tend to high pass around 80hz to tighten up the low end and I leave the top alone unless I have a reason to do otherwise. My remark was in response to what I may have mistakenly taken as dismissal of a low pass at 5-6k. It depends on what you want. It depends on the mix. I totally understand why people feel the need to do so.

I was also just pointing out in general, 6k is a really high pitch. Most people don't take the time to learn frequency spectrums and if you stop and listen to 6k....yikes, it is up there!

Your 4038/57 combo is great. My go to if the mic locker allows is a 121/57 or if I am looking for really aggressive I will do an MD421/57 combo.

rubytopaz likes this.
  14. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

I just changed my playback system AND upgraded to 2.30 at the same time. I'd have to go backwards somewhere to pin it down but so far everything I touch on the rig is golden!

FlyingsCool, John K., ChuckR and 2 others like this.
  15. Phnurt

Never underestimate room reflections on the final product.

FlyingsCool and rubytopaz like this.
  16. Phnurt

Almost at the "dread the new year" phase. Not quite there but I can see that booger sneakin up on me in the "objects are closer than they appear" mirror!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    LordByron likes this.
  17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

There is indeed a lot of 'tweaking' done to the Owlhammer IR's I own.
    Whatever he does - the end product translates well to nearly every mix
    I do.

What do you mean 'if my mic locker allows'? And how are you looking at the
    421 and the sm57 as aggressive? You are putting up nearly the same sonic footprint
    against each other.

18. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Member

Has anyone ever had a footswitch problem? I have an Helix LT and Upper D footswitch wasn't consistently registering my presses. Sometimes it would act a momentary switch other times it would do nothing. This was on the same patch/scene.

Luckily a reboot solved the issue. It never happened before that latest update.

19. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

What changes did you make to your playback system?

20. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I've been playing almost exclusively with the newest amps since the update and they're amazing. Today I picked the Bassman bright channel and just got lost. I don't know why, but I never clicked with it earlier, but this time I used a Tweed ir from Mbritt and then used snapshots to run through different settings, a fat clean with gain around 4 Bass around 3, mids around 5 and treble around 5, then I lowered the bass and treble to zero and cranked the mids for an alternate cleanish sound. The next two snapshots were just the gain getting pushed until cranked (adjusting the channel volume as I went along). It's actually not very gainy at this point, just glorious :)

I played that amp dry for half an hour, then decided to sprinkle a little verb on and back to playing. Didn't it even try to hit it with a drive.

These clean to break up tones are simply amazing! It feels like I just went out a purchased a Bassman, and next time I can buy a different amp and have fun with that :)

FlyingsCool, aepoc, Phnurt and 9 others like this.