Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Life has been a lot better for me, since I started treating my modeler like a music store. I play the same few amps most of the time, but every once in a while, I go to the store and "buy" a new one to try. I spend quite a bit of time and energy exploring that one amp to see what it can do for me. If it gels with me, I put it into rotation. If not, I "return" it to the store and go back to my known quantities. That approach has saved me from wasting oodles of time on useless tweakage.

2. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Sounds like a healthy way to approach it. This has also taught me to revisit amps once on a while, and that, just like in the real world, cabs can make all the difference :)

3. BoxWes

BoxWes Member

I track in a couple of different studios in addition to at home and also do a lot of live tracking at shows where I am grabbing a feed from the board via USB or Dante. Not all mic lockers are equivalent. If I am at the main room where I prefer to work, I have a ton of options. If I am at home, I am restricted to my stuff (57, Beta57, Md 421-ii, Warm Audio WA87, Royer R10, Telefunken M-80). If I am at a club, I bring my mics which are normally better than what the house has available.

As for a 57 and 421 being the same sonic footprint, they are vastly different. The 421 is flat down to 80hz, the 57 starts rolling off pretty hard at about 170hz. The presence peak on the 421 starts at 1k and peaks at 3k and it doesn't start rolling off until 15k, the 57 starts at about 2.5k and peaks between 6k and 7k, then rolls off pretty hard above 10k. There is chunk and body in a 421 that a 57 does not have and the 57 has the in your face spit that you get only from a 57.

4. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I said nearly - not exactly.

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by 'aggressive'. I wouldn't call either Microphone 'aggressive'.

5. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I do the same thing, except the guy who runs my music store (me) is a jerk who doesn't know anything about the gear.

6. rubytopaz

rubytopaz Supporting Member

In real life, I would use a 121 and a 57. On actual recordings I have used Heil (full disclisure...Heil mic endorser) PR 30 and PR 40 mics together...believe it or not, it kind of sounds like the 57/121 combo. I just find that, in Helix, the 4038/57 combo works best for me...tons of low end punch and lots of definition.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Eh... I may be late to the party on this, but does HX Edit (and now Native) have only 20 characters per IR file name vs. 26 for previous versions? It sure looks that way. Unfortunately, the meat of my naming convention was in the last 5 characters, so every IR in each family now has the same name, and I have no idea what anything is anymore.

SMT likes this.
  8. BoxWes

BoxWes Member

I have to try some more Heil stuff. I have a PR35 that I love. It is my go to mic for male lead vocals when I am tracking a live show. Fantastic sound and good feedback and off axis rejection. Picking up a second one is on my to do list.

rubytopaz likes this.
  9. SMT

SMT Member

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat

I have mostly Ownhammer IR's.......and they are all very long named...ugggh

When I want to scroll thru them in helix or the editor, I have no idea which ones they are because Helix won't let you see the entire name... only so many characters will show.
    If you're just testing IR's its a serious bummer. Please, Please fix this. Otherwise I love the Helix.

FlyingsCool and MIJLOVER like this.
  10. Spec

Spec Member

Rename them in the folder from the OS (not the Helix editor).

FlyingsCool likes this.
  11. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

When I use a real mic on an amp, I almost never have it in the center of the cone or straight in on axis, no matter what the distance is. I always find the sweet spot off center and/or off axis somewhere. My old Boss GT-8 had mic positioning options for those parameters. I wonder if the Helix will at some point?

FlyingsCool, LordByron and mikah912 like this.
  12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Yeah, I've longed maintained they need to reshoot the factory IRs with Fredman/dual mic at 45 degree/off-axis options across the range. IRs plug that hole, no doubt, but it would go a long way toward helping the stock cabs make a better first impression on some folks.

13. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I would love an off axis option for each distance, I bet the could model the response as part of their hybrid cabs vs. needing IR files for all of that.

But it would be awesome.

Here is an article talking a bit about modeling mic position.

https://townsendlabs.com/why-mic-axis-matters/

LordByron, MIJLOVER and mikah912 like this.
  14. -Empire

-Empire Member

15. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Well to be fair, those latest Boss products look awesome, the ES5, ES8, and MS3. I was super impressed and thought about getting one of them for my singles board. But I couldn't make my mind up and didn't grab one in the end. I couldn't decide whether it was more important to have some external loops or built in DSP effects!

16. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The main difference is the order of MS-3's three loops can't be changed in the signal chain. You can only change their relative position in the in the signal chain a group of three sequential blocks. I have the MS-3, and it does do some cool things. It isn't all that easy to work with, imo. Boss makes some UI decisions that are just kind of puzzling to me, but that's kind of always been the case. The MS-3's internal effects are generally OK, but nothing too exciting. There are a few delays that I use, and I actually find the tremolo, phaser and rotary to be pretty good. In the end, it's kind of like a loop switcher lite... It probably works best in that application if the pedals in the loops are MIDI controllable.

LordByron and WiresDream like this.
  17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Kind of like they're the Lotus Notes of the MI industry. :p

vxboogie, Hush, ChuckR and 1 other person like this.
  18. jamsden

jamsden Member

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you get well soon and enjoy playing music again. In the meantime, check out the Bros Landreth on YouTube. Hope that make you feel better.

DeSelby, shred440 and LordByron like this.
  19. jamsden

jamsden Member

The movie on the other hand can give you nightmares.

FlyingsCool, ChuckR and Phnurt like this.
  20. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

Typically Instrument - and you can adjust the send level by ear for fine tuning if it's not quite the same level.

LordByron and Phnurt like this.