Line6 Helix

jbow

I have an AMPLIFi 75. I have had some sort of Line6 amp around the house for years. They can’t be beat for playing with jam tracks or any living room music. I recently gave my Flextone III Plus to my daughter (I miss it a little). The AMPLIFi 75 just doesn’t have the low end and no thump at all. I wish I had gone with a TT or 150. I’m thinking about getting a TT and playing in via Bluetooth through my soundbar and maybe getting a powered monitor with BT when MF has one on the cheap on the SDOTD, they do that a few times a month. My SF Champ has more mojo than the AMPLIFi 75. Id never use one live. They are cool but I wish they would do the tone match with Spotify. I’m now burning some CDs on my computer and adding them to iCloud so I can access them in Apple Music and check out the tone match... Trower will be interesting. Wonder how well it will do that?!?
I do like the size and also bought an R-10 wireless to use with it. One thing I wish they would do is put the power cord recessed with a 90 degree plug. It sticks so far out the back that it limits where you can place it, on a shelf. With that and the R-10 wireless I could put it on a built in shelf and it would look good but with the plug sticking so far out I don’t like the way it sits. It’s always something huh?
JB

I'm interested in the Helix, here's my main hangup: I usually play at home through headphones (Sennheiser HD-555), though I recently got some Westone UM 30 IEMs, using a Pod HD500x. Reading about the Helix, I see so much about how playing through headphones is terrible and if, say, I play at church, my tones won't sound anything like they do through headphones. Here's the thing, I live in an apartment (and will for the next 1.5 years, at minimum) and a loud PA speaker in my bedroom doesn't seem like a great option. What should I do?

I also have a blackface Fender Pro Reverb, which is a great amp, but I hate hauling it around. I love the idea of grabbing my guitar and Helix, and then being all set.

dirtyfunkg

I'm interested in the Helix, here's my main hangup: I usually play at home through headphones (Sennheiser HD-555), though I recently got some Westone UM 30 IEMs, using a Pod HD500x. Reading about the Helix, I see so much about how playing through headphones is terrible and if, say, I play at church, my tones won't sound anything like they do through headphones. Here's the thing, I live in an apartment (and will for the next 1.5 years, at minimum) and a loud PA speaker in my bedroom doesn't seem like a great option. What should I do?

I also have a blackface Fender Pro Reverb, which is a great amp, but I hate hauling it around. I love the idea of grabbing my guitar and Helix, and then being all set.
For what it's worth, I use the Helix as my headphone practice amp ALL THE TIME, and I am super happy with it. That said, I don't have any FRFR speaker (yet), so I can't really comment on how it will translate between headphones and a speaker. For reference, I use a Sennheiser HD380 set.

burningyen

Yep, that was my goal initially, create tones late at night in my apartment, show up to rehearsals and gigs, plug in and go. It just doesn't work, at least IME. Find an hour before rehearsal to fine tune your presets at full volume. And bring your own monitor.

mikah912

I mostly play through headphones - not even the high impedance type, either - because I often can only play at night once the wife and kids are in bed, and I think my LT sounds great. Yes, you need to tweak your presets for gig volume, but that's not a herculean ask. Like @burningyen says, give yourself a little time at the venue to tweak for the room. Once you dial it, you can simply save it as a "gig" version of the very same patch. On-device editing is easy like that....

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Yep, that was my goal initially, create tones late at night in my apartment, show up to rehearsals and gigs, plug in and go. It just doesn't work, at least IME. Find an hour before rehearsal to fine tune your presets at full volume. And bring your own monitor.
I concur. My Helix sounds great through decent headphones, BUT dialing in Gig-level patches using phones just does not work well. I keep separate patches for headphone playing and gigs. I tired using Global EQ on/off to set up patches that work for both headphones and FRFR (and that was decent) but I get better results just having separate presets altogether.

FlyingsCool

You could consider some near field monitors, like the JBL LSR305. JBL just released a new version, so there are some good sales on them, too. I'm assuming it's ok to play a stereo in your apartment? About the same levels, and basically FRFR, sort of if you want to get technical. I love them. I use them for mixing, too. Someday I might get the subwoofer, too, but I can't say I miss it a whole lot.

I also use 1 Alto TS210, 1 L6 L2t, 1 L6 L2m, Shure SRH840 headphones, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Headphones. Use 'em all for various stuffs.

ivandolz

You could consider some near field monitors, like the JBL LSR305. JBL just released a new version, so there are some good sales on them, too. I'm assuming it's ok to play a stereo in your apartment? About the same levels, and basically FRFR, sort of if you want to get technical. I love them. I use them for mixing, too. Someday I might get the subwoofer, too, but I can't say I miss it a whole lot.

I also use 1 Alto TS210, 1 L6 L2t, 1 L6 L2m, Shure SRH840 headphones, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Headphones. Use 'em all for various stuffs.
I have used JBL 305s and they work great. Now I m trying the Gibsons 4" are good but not as good as the JBL (maybe they need to be more broken in).

Can you guys please give us some advice on what Headphones are really good for the Helix, please?

Abeetude

How do you use your Alto - wedge or on a stand?

Phnurt

Silver Supporting Member

Helix sounds awesome through a modest pair of nearfields. I'm using KRK Rokit 8's. Killer bedroom/apartment levels and tone.

Don't move enough air for me when I get the chance to be loud though so my main rig is a 1700 watt PA. :D

burningyen

I have used JBL 305s and they work great. Now I m trying the Gibsons 4" are good but not as good as the JBL (maybe they need to be more broken in).

Can you guys please give us some advice on what Headphones are really good for the Helix, please?
If you're not going to be doing a lot of pitch shifting and if noise isolation isn't an issue, then open-back cans like the HD600 are hard to beat. Otherwise I'd go with closed-back cans like the AKG K553 MkII.