Line6 Helix

FlyingsCool

Further proof of the genius of @benadrian.

Here's a riff recorded three ways:
1. My Lonestar Classic 2X12's dirty channel
2. Using the Cali Texas preamp through the power section of my Lonestar
3. Going direct into Reaper using the Cali Texas and its stock cab

At first listen, I felt that 1 and 2 were similar and 3 was a little more strident. Then I put myself in the correct position between my monitors and listened harder...

1 felt like it had a bit of a blanket over it (he didn't say how the first two tracks were recorded)
2 felt a little clearer and more open
3 actually felt like I was sitting next to the amp as I would imagine it, but almost a little too clinical. But I think a little more care could have been taken in choosing cab and mic and mic position, and probably a little reverb, or at least reflections.

I was recently doing a comparison of the matchless in my buddy's studio with his Matchless Nighthawk. It was incredible how much variation there was while we went through just the mics. In the end we definitely got super close to his real amp. Could have probably gotten closer had we chosen different cabs and mic distances as well. Funny thing was, he preferred a much more strident tone than I would have gone with, but he was listening with consideration of what tone would best cut through in a band mix. Definitely wayyy different tone than you would choose with just the guitar and amp on it's own. And he said just that, so often he used to come up with a tone he loved, only to get lost in the mix when played in a band context. Not just lost, completely disappeared.

Last edited:

etr102

I bought a Helix about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Was shipped with Firmware 2.20 (just to give you guys an idea of the date of manufacture). Anyway, I find the expression pedal squeaks pretty badly. It was also extremely stiff when brand new out of the box. Using the included Allen key, I loosened it maybe a quarter turn and the pedal was so loose that the toe literally fell down under it's own weight when I lift my foot off of it. I re-tightened it and now it's a little too tight.

I'm trying to get it adjusted so that it 'feels' like a Dunlop Crybaby. I can feel the click for the 'toe switch' which is good, but I also feel this weird clicky feeling when the heel is fully down. Is this normal? Does this pedal just need to be broken in or something? Any suggestions on adjusting this thing?

Line6 has an official video on YouTube about greasing up the main pivot bolt but should this really even be necessary on a brand new unit?

He_Ma

Has anyone had success with Helix pitch wham effect for creating really smooth whammy tones in David Gilmour style? I get more Rage against the machine style whammy effects out of it.

benifin

.... well .... given my query a few pages back sunk like a brick in a lake ... he goes again ... :)

=> any chance of finding out [in non-specific terms] if the next FW will have other amps over and above the Lonestar Clean and BE/HBE Clean (?) ... again, not looking for specifics or timeframes (?)

Ben

gtr37

.... well .... given my query a few pages back sunk like a brick in a lake ... he goes again ... :)

=> any chance of finding out [in non-specific terms] if the next FW will have other amps over and above the Lonestar Clean and BE/HBE Clean (?) ... again, not looking for specifics or timeframes (?)

Ben
I m not Line6 but i bet it will have more than those clean amps , if guessing i will also say it will be announced around the end of next Month at the Messe out in May

Guitarzman

Great catch.... except... eek... both albums were released in the same year, and 2112 had been played before it was released.... Who was influencing who, haha! ;)

edit: wait, there's more... 2112 was released literally the day after Presence 4/1 and 3/31 respectively..... Maybe it was quantum entanglement of their fingers?????
@FlyingsCool Wow what a coincidence :cool: must be a parallel universe after all... :)

Last edited:
I bought a Helix this weekend (got a great deal on a new one!) and I'm really liking it so far. Night and day difference from my old HD500x. Dialing in great-sounding tones is almost effortless, especially compared to the POD (on which I got about two or three I thought sounded decent... ever.) Will try to get some small-ish studio monitors soon, but it sounds good through my Sennheiser headphones in the meantime.

So what's the deal with IRs? Everybody talks about how great IRs are, and I see places like OwnHammer selling cab models, but what's the advantage of using those over the stock Line 6 ones? Do they sound dramatically better or something? I certainly don't consider myself a tone/speaker/cab expert, but most of the stock cabs already sound good to me. The main appeal of IRs, at least to me, seems like it'd be for interesting reverb effects. But feel free to correct me if I'm nuts.

phil_m

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Helix LT. Why is EXP3 grayed out? I thought we could add a third. Help?
On the LT, there are only to expression controllers - EXP1 and EXP2. There isn't a jack for a third. That's one of the differences between the LT and the Floor/Rack.

Unnecessary

So, whats the deal with the Helix forums lately? Every other time I go there it's down.

So what's the deal with IRs? Everybody talks about how great IRs are, and I see places like OwnHammer selling cab models, but what's the advantage of using those over the stock Line 6 ones? Do they sound dramatically better or something? I certainly don't consider myself a tone/speaker/cab expert, but most of the stock cabs already sound good to me. The main appeal of IRs, at least to me, seems like it'd be for interesting reverb effects. But feel free to correct me if I'm nuts.
IR's are (usually) a really accurate snapshot of a cab with a specific mic and they usually sound "right" (as one would expect from the cab/mic combination) right out of the box without too much adjustment. They aren't as flexible as the built-in cab models because you'd need 50+ IR's to cover a single cab model from the Helix stock cabs, but they USUALLY sound better with less adjustment. They use a little more processing power than the onboard cabs, though, and other than EQ, they pretty much sound how they sound when you load them up, so changing sounds means changing your IR instead of moving a virtual microphone/adding virtual air/changing mics on the same cab like you can with the stock cabs. I think both are totally functional, but I find I like using IR's better, just because I know exactly the sound I'm looking for most of the time, so I'm not stuck auditioning 5000 impulse responses.

Guitarzman

I bought a Helix this weekend (got a great deal on a new one!) and I'm really liking it so far. Night and day difference from my old HD500x. Dialing in great-sounding tones is almost effortless, especially compared to the POD (on which I got about two or three I thought sounded decent... ever.) Will try to get some small-ish studio monitors soon, but it sounds good through my Sennheiser headphones in the meantime.

Congrats on your new Helix great investment :cool: The Helix stock cabs are great, I'd stick with those you can choose from different mics, mic placement and even do hi and lo cuts in the cab section, doesn't cost any extra time and $$ :)...

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Somehow it feels like I'm cheating on my Helix by using my HX Effects over the weekend.
I know what you mean. I got my HXFX set up with my new Kemper powered toaster this weekend. It felt a little dirty (in a not altogether bad way). ;)

As great as the sounds are, it was definitely a lot more effort than just getting my Helix LT set up. Maybe it's the familiarity of the Helix UI that makes it feel so efortless (at least now), but I still think that whatever the Helix lacks compared to a Kemper or a Fractal (if anything), the UI on the Helix forgives whatever minimal sins of omission there may be. :)

Trending Topics