Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Looking at your board, I'd keep the Trainwreck and KOT for now, but I've been really happy with all the time based stuff in the Helix. I've sold off my Strymon pedals, still have an El Cap, but don't use it much. Sold my H9 Max as well.

coderKen, LordByron and FlyingsCool like this.
  2. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

Looks pretty!

LordByron and MIJLOVER like this.
  3. Lele

Lele Member

To be honest, I haven't had a lot of time to try the new verbs. Anyway, after just some tests, no regrets, I loaded my previous patches with the usual "old" plate reverb (mostly very light, but some patches with a lot of it, too), and I love it.
    Anyway, I'd like to have a real manual of each fx parameter, with some tips, too. I really hope that Line6 can offer that support, even before adding some more amps and effects.

rubytopaz, FlyingsCool and LordByron like this.
  4. -Empire

-Empire Member

The main issue for you is going to be transitioning from monitoring a guitar cab directly to monitoring the mic'd signal from Helix. Modelers when run direct generate a mic'd tone as if your amp were in another room, mic'd up, and you were listening to that feed through the same speakers you're using with the modeler. This is much different than monitoring a guitar cab directly. Many people try a modeler through speakers and mistakenly blame the modeler for the difference in sound, when it’s almost entirely due to the different monitoring setup.

Personally I'd start by running Helix in 4 cable method with your amp, or if it doesn't have an fx loop, run Helix straight into the front. Just make sure you set the 1/4" output to instrument level. That way you can adjust to using Helix as a pedalboard first, then deal with the "guitar cab in the room" thing later.

Volume/tuner/paraeq: easy
    king of tone: try the Timmy in the up clipping position with the bass cut on 10
    flint: plenty of trem / reverb models that match up with flint's models
    sunlion: fuzz face model. Right now there isn't a treble booster in Helix but I've seen some people use other models with some tweaks to get in the ballpark.
    comprosser: based on a ross compressor, start with the xotic sp compressor model in Helix, the Kinky Comp. Not sure about the orange squeezer side.
    chorus: plenty of chorus models in Helix
    Timeline: helix delays are great

Have you tried them in stereo? There's apparently a bug in 2.5 that makes the mono versions sound weird. I still use the plate model for most non-huge ambient stuff.

5. jtaylor996

jtaylor996 Member

Thanks for the tips!

Before this rig, I did the amp-model thing with an old VOX pedalboard, so I'm not sure I'll be thrown that far off. Also, I'm having issues with my hearing lately, and I need to drastically reduce practice/stage volume levels moving forward. So I don't really want to go into my amp unless it'll be in an iso box somewhere, or I can be far enough away from it. I may grab an alto powered speaker for practice if the headphone amp on the helix is as bad as some people seem to say.

6. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

The headphone amp is great, but quite powerful, so some cans might be driven too hard. But quality studio headphones shouldn't have a problem. Some recommend HPs with higher impedance. But add a bit of reverb at the end and it's quite nice. But you still have to be careful about your hearing :)

Darkness, FlyingsCool and LordByron like this.
  7. hugbot

hugbot Member

I still like the plate reverb (the whole "purpose" of plate to me is that its unobtrusive and not flashy) and theres nothing in the HX verbs that can cop small room or spring sounds.

8. Undercooked Chops

Undercooked Chops Member

Beautiful. I've seen a couple of vids about the Thinline but I still love the plain ol' Tele. Not that I don't plan on trying one down the line.

LordByron likes this.
  9. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Been using both new and legacy. Both in stereo. Love both for different needs.

10. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I definitely do, and infact just made a video going over my own routing setup that I think gets the best results for bigger reverb sounds. I talk about my opinions on the new reverbs during the intro, and I go pretty in-depth on the setup so I suggest clicking through to youtube and using the time shortcuts in the description box to jump around if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing (understandable!).

(Video #2 for me, thanks for all the positive feedback on the first. I've got a lot more planned for the future so stay tuned!)

11. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Really awesome video man!

I totally agree with you about the new Reverbs. Didn't like any of them from the beginning. But what you have achieved here is high quality stuff. Well done!

yeatzee likes this.
  12. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

You can run 32 Metal Zones into each other! :)

Phnurt likes this.
  13. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Not the Helix, but this is the newest member of the family that feeds my Helix:

I just finished her this weekend. I built a Fender style neck but I built it using the Gibson scale. This allowed me to make it a 24 fret short scale. I love the way she plays. Solid Honduras mahogany body with a 10x flamed maple cap. That cap is raised 1/4" from the main body with a white/black/white/black binding. The body is matte black lacquer and the shield is high gloss lacquer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

Beautiful!

Phnurt likes this.
  15. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Todd Sharp's JOAT Amps are truly amazing! They sound incredible and have an outstanding feel. I've played a JOAT 45RT several times.
    Premier Guitar just reviewed Todd Sharp's JOAT 20 1x12 Combo Amp. I would love to see Line 6 let Ben Adrian do his magic with one of Todd's Amps.

A JOAT inspired Ben Adrian creation would be a magnificent addition to Helix's Amp models!

[Addendum: Here's the IdeaScale link to the Todd Sharp JOAT Amp Model suggestion.
    Direct URL: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/H...JOAT-Amp-Model/924988-23508#idea-tab-comments
    @MIJLOVER, thanks for the suggestion to post to IdeaScale ]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

@yeatzee, your method is tremendous! Outstanding! Sounds exquisite! Creamy smooth with complex modulations and delays added to and wonderfully enveloped in the reverbs. Love the refined methods to adjust the levels in the Blend. Exceptional overall technique, with ample easy adjustments to dial in one's preferred taste. Magnificent!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Phnurt, yeatzee, mkr1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

18. SMT

SMT Member

Dude what a fantastic video

19. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

I'm still using '63 Spring and Chamber from the old ones, because there really isn't anything in the new ones that compares. I use the new ones for pseudo-plate and "big" verbs, but unfortunately that's rarely called for in my music!

He's using a Trainwreck clone, so no loop! Even if it did have a loop, it would probably not be the most useful thing, given the way 'Wrecks are laid out...

The rest of your suggestions are pretty good. "Analog Chorus" is the one he will want, coming from A.Man - that is my favorite chorus in "the real pedal world", as well, and I've done some comparisons. There really is nothing like a treble booster in the Helix, which is a pity, but you can get relatively close with some two-stacks (very light fuzz into EQ, for instance), or just use Stupor OD or KWB in a bright setting for a more "polite" version. For the Fuzz Face, I'd recommend using Clawthorn Drive over the Arbiter, it is much easier to get a good "Classic FF" sound out of IMHO.

Johnny Ninefingers and LordByron like this.
  20. dshow

dshow Member

I prefer the old ones. I'm a big fan of 63 Spring reverb but I use reverbs very subtle anyway unless I'm looking for a special effect.
    I tried some patches from customtone last weekend and it seems that everyone is forced to use the new reverbs ;-)

Phnurt likes this.