Line6 Helix

MusicLaw

Good news for anyone using a high resolution computer to use Helix Editor!
I had previously been making do using a manifest.exe file, but I still had an issue where my mouse clicks would register a centimeter or so above where I was clicking.

Instead, try opening the file location of the Helix.exe program.
Right click on Helix.exe and click properties.
Select the "Compatibility" tab.
Check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" option, and select "System" in the dropbox below.
Click "Apply" or "OK" and exit.

Now the Editor should scale properly and work perfectly. I no longer have any issues with the mouse clicks and it's not ant-size.

(This is on a Dell XPS 15 with 4k resolution with the scaling in the system display settings set to 200%)
Yeah the new editor scales just fine on my 4k Dell XPS 15 as well.
The old editor was a bit of a struggle and I had to adjust some app properties or use an external manifest files to scale it properly.
@John K., are you still running the Dell XPS 15 4K at a Screen Layout Scaling of 200% when you launch the latest HX Edit? And, you no longer use the Properties > Compatibility > Override?

My volume pedal is squeaking like crazy after just a few days of use :( Not really acceptable... how do I fix this? I'm not too keen on unscrewing the thing completely and being told I have to replace a particular part like in that Line 6 video. Also, I'd just use my Boss volume pedal instead, but the Boss pedal is read by the Helix as being at 100% when it's actually at 50%, and if I press it further than that, it lowers the volume! What the heck?

I'm sure there are answers for these, but the stupid Line 6 forum is always down.

Last edited:

greyhail

Hey everyone, I just got my own Helix LT and i'm loving it.
I'm a bass player and I've basically skipped all the pedals and went for the helix as a "all pedal in one" option.

Just wondering whether there's anyway to use the line 6 as a on stage "in ear monitor" so i don't need to bring/use an amp at all.
Tried searching for some answers but to no avail.

redmonda

My volume pedal is squeaking like crazy after just a few days of use :( Not really acceptable... how do I fix this? I'm not too keen on unscrewing the thing completely and being told I have to replace a particular part like in that Line 6 video. Also, I'd just use my Boss volume pedal instead, but the Boss pedal is read by the Helix as being at 100% when it's actually at 50%, and if I press it further than that, it lowers the volume! What the heck?

I'm sure there are answers for these, but the stupid Line 6 forum is always down.
The part only had to be replaced if it matched the color for the "bad" parts (which was a very small number). The maintenance guide says to open it up and lubricate it with lithium grease (or equivalent). It's an easy procedure and took me less than 20 minutes.

Your other option is to send it in for maintenance... which will take a lot longer.

If you follow the guide, it's a pretty easy procedure that will get you back up and going in no time.

DarrellM5

I'm a bass player and I've basically skipped all the pedals and went for the helix as a "all pedal in one" option.

Just wondering whether there's anyway to use the line 6 as a on stage "in ear monitor" so i don't need to bring/use an amp at all.
Check this video out. It may help. Richie is the lead guitarist for Blue Oyster Cult.

Dave Merrill

IRs are (usually) a really accurate snapshot of a cab with a specific mic and they usually sound "right" (as one would expect from the cab/mic combination) right out of the box without too much adjustment. They aren't as flexible as the built-in cab models because you'd need 50+ IR's to cover a single cab model from the Helix stock cabs, but they USUALLY sound better with less adjustment. They use a little more processing power than the onboard cabs, though, and other than EQ, they pretty much sound how they sound when you load them up, so changing sounds means changing your IR instead of moving a virtual microphone/adding virtual air/changing mics on the same cab like you can with the stock cabs. I think both are totally functional, but I find I like using IR's better, just because I know exactly the sound I'm looking for most of the time, so I'm not stuck auditioning 5000 impulse responses.
I'm probably way late, but a couple of things to add...

- Even if some folks think some IRs sound "right" out of the box, with certain amps, in certain contexts, or find it quicker to get where they want to be with them than the built-in cabs, don't be shy about using EQ and/or filtering with them. Whatever you like :)

- The stock cabs have settings IRs don't -- mic choice, distance -- but for a different cab or speaker, you need a different cab block, which can't be changed by snapshots or footswitches. With IRs, on the other hand, the IR you're using is just a parameter, so it CAN be changed by snaps and switches.

MusicLaw

Check this video out. It may help. Richie is the lead guitarist for Blue Oyster Cult.
Yup! As DarrellM5 already posted, Richie's video is great! So long as your I/O needs for your Instrument(s) and Incoming Audio Feed do no exceed what the LT offers you should be good to go. The Full Helix Floor's additional I/Os really come in handy for this sort of use.

jamsden

Gotta say, I love my JTV-69S. It is by no means the best guitar I own (although it is quite nice), but, like the Helix, with a little tweaking and patience it ends up being able to do so much, so well, that any minor shortcomings it may have end up being completely outweighed by its sheer breadth of flexibility and competence.
Agree 100%. I put SVL Daytona pickups in my 69S, now its a fantastic sounding guitar that’s also very flexible.

MusicLaw

Yeah, I'm still running it that way. Are you having any issues?
Nope. Just switched to the Dell XPS 15 4K UHD 32 GB w/ 1TB SSD from the ASUS 4K UHD VivoBook Pro. The latter was also new, but the battery life was very limited. Overall the Dell is spectacular. The ASUS was having problematic audio clicks and pops and loosing sync on YouTube and other video playback. Both have the same i7 7700 CPU. I've explored running from 200% to 300% screen scaling on the XPS. HX Edit shows far more controls in the smaller res. Do you know of a method to have only HX Edit launch in the lower scaling to display more controls (screen real estate) w/o having to set the system default Display Prefs to 200? Is there a way to do so, on a pgm by pgm basis?

Last edited:

rubytopaz

Silver Supporting Member
While Line 6 is revamping their Forums, Knowledgebase, and Videos servers today, here's an new Derek Small (formerly Spinal Tap's Bassist) video with Waddy Wachtel on Guitar: It Don't Get Old
According to the credits, the lead guitar and backing vocals are Peter Frampton. I guess Waddy is playing rhythm (and slide?).

He_Ma

Hi all! I have few weeks in with the Helix LT and I play it at home through Genelec 8030s which works really well. Now at church I would need something like Yamaha DBR10 to be able to hear myself, because we have limited amount of wedges and singers/drummer get those before me.. I read somwhere that there might be better choices like DXR10, which is ofc more expensive. What are you guys using or what you would recommend? Other brands with better products in same price range with DBR10?

I'd like to run my patches in stereo to FOH (XLR) and I wonder if I could use standard plug output in mono to monitor to be able to adjust my own volume?

Here's some things I need/want:

1. Reasonable sound quality to hear myself clear(I adjust my tones with Genelecs at home which I trust to be good quality so no need for ultra hifi here)
2. Two inputs with volume control (Other would be for Helix and other would be duplicated line through signal from lead singers wedge)
3. Price level shoud be in same range with DBR10. If something cheaper would work, even better.

No need for:

1. Amp in the room feeling (Some told that DXR10 had more of that)
2. Anything additional besides things above that increases the price
3. Being super loud. I quess that 70-80 dB would be max for what I need, maybe even less since I don't need to get my amp to "sweet spot" by cranking it.

Please share your suggestions and please comment if there's something I am missing here!