Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. EtherealSoul

EtherealSoul Member

So I've been away from this thread for a few weeks or more (I'm way behind now). I don't have any new tunes to show for myself, but I have been getting acquainted with some new equipment. I've been experimenting with midi clock syncing the Singular Sound Beat Buddy, the Helix, the TC Electronic Ditto X4 looper, and the Korg Volca FM synth. The midi clock is usually fine, but i've found i need to have the BeatBuddy be the source to ensure the midi start message is what starts the temp (otherwise they don't agree on the down beat). Here's a video of me noodling with those on my Martin DRS1:

2. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Was messing with the baseman model today using the neck pickup of my Gibson Johnny A. A bit of reverb and set pretty clean.

I’m finally trying to learn Autumn Leaves because I should.

The tone sounds delightful, my playing, well it’s slowly coming together.

3. benadrian

benadrian Member

Super boring answer. When chatting back and forth with the DSP engineers, the casual word we user for the block of processing code that adds the decay in the reverb is "Tank". There's a lot more in the reverb, but the tank, and how the Tank is set with its internal parameters, gives the strongest voice character to the reverb.

So in the Double Tank I took the tanks from two existing reverbs, revoiced the tanks slightly, and made a reverb with two tanks in series. The result is a very dense reverb that I enjoyed. It's not based on anything specific or that already exists. It was just a crazy idea that I could hammer into a good-sounding reverb.

4. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

So many standards I don't know by heart. And so many that still present chord voicing questions for my playing too, which is worse. And then I see some 16 year old kid on YouTube out-Django-ing Django and I just know I should be doing something else with my life, excepting he doesn't have my expression. For what it's worth I think it's all about a personal musical æsthetic. To rework a well-known lyric: "He can't be a man cause he doesn't play the same drunken notes as me..."

:drink:drown

5. AZguitar

AZguitar Supporting Member

Thanks for tips!

arislaf likes this.
  6. AZguitar

AZguitar Supporting Member

It's the LE Onyx. Will spend some time with it this week.

mikah912 and mbenigni like this.
  7. PearlyGates

PearlyGates Member

Rhythm guitar: Squier Telecaster classic vibe modded
    Lead guitar : Hagstrom Viking modded
    Helix Amp model : Silvertone
    3Sigma IR: Supro 1x12"

8. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Ha! I am vindicated! :D

Lovely guitar.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  9. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Wow indeed. I did not think they were in the wild yet...and I make them!

10. Axe_34

Axe_34 Member

You want to know how GAS-killing the Helix is? I just learned Pro Guitar Shop closed.

Last November.

Prince, FlyingsCool, tmuka and 4 others like this.
  11. Axe_34

Axe_34 Member

Also in today's edition of TIL (Today I Learned) -- Les Paul and Mary Ford were regular visitors at Steve Miller's house when he was a child. Dr. and Mrs. Miller were best man and maid of honor at the December 1949 wedding of Paul and Ford.

12. Eddie Loves You

Eddie Loves You Member

I love this stuff

FlyingsCool, Phnurt and coderKen like this.
  13. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

14. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

Les taught little Steve how to do the cat calls on guitar that you hear in the joker...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  15. etr102

etr102 Member

I've posted a number of this time both inside this thread and outside of it with various "beginner" questions about the Helix and getting it to play nicely with my various amps. Most recently I posted a message about how I'd completely given up on trying to get it to sound decent with my amp (Traynor YCS50H) and was asking you guys for suggestions on FRFR speakers.

Anyway, I'm happy to report I've got my issues sorted out. I have been using the 4CM. My first issue was I was using the Parallel effects loop on my amp instead of the Preamp Out/Amp In jacks to get directly to the poweramp stage. The step I was missing was setting my Left/Mono output to 'Instrument' level instead of line level. After doing that, I set the Helix's volume knob to 100%. I think the 'line level' output was too hot for my amp's "Amp In" jack and was creating a weird fizziness that I hated. I've also taken to primarily using 'PreAmp' blocks instead of Amp blocks to avoid duplicating the existing Power Amp stage of my amp.

The end result is that my Amp's master volume knob controls the volume, the Helix stays at 100%, and things sound absolutely amazing. Much to my amazement, I actually like a lot of the modeled preamps better than my actual preamp. The Fender models are all outstanding. I'm not a fan of the Marshalls (specifically the JCM800 doesn't sound right to me), however the Mesa amp models are outstanding my my opinion.

Anyway, thanks to all those who answered my never ending stupid questions. I think I've finally got my base tones sorted out. Now it's on to the effects. Once that's done I'll finally introduce the Helix to my live rig.

FlyingsCool, Hush, cabojoe and 3 others like this.
  16. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

Me too. The preamps really work well in this configuration. The only difference with my experience is that I do use the Helix volume knob instead of the amps master. For me, I can't tell much if any difference and adjusting the master on my Mesa doesn't give me enough control...the slightest movement has a significant change in volume.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  17. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

And a damn fine job you made of it too.

Dave Merrill and FlyingsCool like this.
  18. Phnurt

Not only can I out drink the little bugger, I can make the slurring notes in my head sound WAY better than his! (Until they play back the tape the next morning)

19. Phnurt

Waterhoses and bikinis on a warm socali summer day. I can picture it cause I lived it.

PearlyGates and FlyingsCool like this.
  20. Undercooked Chops

Undercooked Chops Member

Not all of us see this