Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Lately i have spend time saving "backup files" with my Helix since i have so many IR's
    I have lots of tonematching IR's for different songs and also lots of IR's from different vendors like Ownhammer, LRS, cabIReu, 3Sigma, Rosen Digital, Kaltenhallen, Joey Sturgis, etc etc.

So basically i have loaded the 128 slots with different IR's and then saved a "backup file" to the default document folder on my PC.

So far i have only tried to load one backup file
    And i was amazed how smooth it was.

All IR is there and all presets with all my snapshots and even the custom colors on the ring around the footswitches was there like it was before i saved the backup file and loaded in new presets and IR's.

But i also immediately noticed that the "bug" where the synthblock is off and dont make any sound on snapshot 1 when you change to that preset on the "Fremen synth presets" is there.

And it is there on all the presets even if i have saved them on the unit using latest FW before i saved the backupfile.

And of course the "last block disable bug when change snapshots" on presets that using both signal path's.

I can now confirm it doesnt happen on presets that is simple and only use the upper path
    As i have made snapshots for all my presets and the ones that use only the upper path dont have that bug.

So as a new FW is coming up soon i am a little concerend if i shall continue to load in IR's and save backup files?

I am afraid i might have to do all that work again or should the bugs be gone when i load the backup files and the unit rebuild the presets for that FW?
    @ digital igloo

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    FlyingsCool likes this.
  2. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I've noticed that the Helix sounds incredible through my IEM's at church running through their system but plugging my IEM's directly into the Helix sounds pretty terrible. They are worlds apart. Would getting an interface with mic pre's like a little Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and plugging into that make up that difference? I don't really see what would be making everything so much better apart from running the Helix into some good pre's and monitoring off of that. Since I play with headphones a significant amount of the time at home it'd be worth spending the cash for a used one if it'll equal them out. Anyone have any experience with that?

tmuka and FlyingsCool like this.
  3. leppy

leppy Member

It is hard to say without exact knowing what their system is and how it is setup. How is the Helix exactly connected and is there any EQ involved or other processing before sending the signal to the IEM's, in mono or stereo...etc. IMHO mic pre's are not as important as EQ or stereo separation.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  4. CakeEater

CakeEater Member

When you connect your IEMs to your Helix, are you using the headphone jack?
    Because the Helix's headphone jack is very gainy and changes the sound of your output considerably.
    I've a/b'd using my headphones directly from the Helix, and from my the headphone-out out of the amplifier that powers my passive monitors (NAD D 7050). I much prefer the sound coming from the NAD, it sounds very much like the signal coming from my direct outs and is just more pleasant.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  5. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I would love it if the new update had an HX Plate and Spring reverbs.

Now that we have the PowerCabs, I would also love to see some presets that create something like a deluxe reverb including switching between both channels, tremolo, spring reverb and speaker.

FlyingsCool, Phnurt and mbenigni like this.
  6. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

For those of you using the Helix into the Effects Return of a combo amp or head/cab (and preferably a TUBE amp), either straight in or 4CM....are you just using Preamp Models in the Helix, or using Amp models without the cab sims?

I'm asking because I can't seem to dial in a decent tone using the Preamp models going into the real amp return - volume is low, tone is dull, dynamics are missing. I seems to like it more using the full Amp models (just without the cabs). But then I'm worried about simulating 2X as much power amp saturation/compression - from the model and then from the tube power section of my combo.

I know the easy answer is "well...you said you like it this way...so....". I'm listening to my ears. But I'm wondering why I can't easily dial the Helix in the way that every demo video seems to when showing 4CM or just going straight into the amp power section.

For reference, the combos in question are Blackstar Artist 15's with 2 6L6s and 1x12 speakers. Thanks!!

FlyingsCool likes this.
  7. AZguitar

AZguitar Supporting Member

This is interesting for those using IEM's. Here is what I do. Aviom comes in from effects return on 2B. Output block set to 1/4 so stops there. Top 3 paths return to house on XLR set to mic in globals. I monitor all through head phones out on Helix.

8. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

I'm setup using the Helix Preamp Models and I think it sounds great and would never describe it as dull or missing dynamics (my amp is a Mesa Mark III). From prior posts, it appears that amps behave differently because of differences in the effects loops. Some have reported that the Helix volume should be all the way up to get the best sound (though this made little difference with my setup). Other possible things to check is the level on the output going back to the effects loop or the global setting for the 1/4" out (instrument/line).

Phnurt, mbenigni and ghostrider like this.
  9. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Yep, and that is definitely a component to getting the interface. I mention the mic pre's part because I have no idea if that will make a difference or not.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    FlyingsCool likes this.
  10. ghostrider

ghostrider Supporting Member

That is what I did recently for mine and it made a big difference. I changed it from line to instrument and liked it a lot better.

11. The Trout

The Trout Member

Oldschool amps were made in such a way that the interaction between the preamp and the power amp is so huge that you got no chance to get something close with the preamp section only. For example, an AC30 preamp sounds like a crap without its PA section, same for a plexi. If you pick something like a 5150 or a Recto, the preamp alone should be ok cause with those kind of amps, the power section is (almost) only here to make the whole thing usable with a cab but all the tone/gain is made in the preamp section.

12. AZguitar

AZguitar Supporting Member

Yes this. I have all effects blocks on instrument for my setup but again no physical amp, all silent stage here.

FlyingsCool and Phnurt like this.
  13. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

That literally made me bust out in a gigglefit. :rotflmao

14. etr102

etr102 Member

I've only had my Helix for a few months. I'm loving it more and more, and am getting better at dialing in good tones all the time. One thing I'm looking for is something similar to the 'Sound Hold' effect found on Boss GT100/1000. For those who don't know, you can assign a control pedal to basically hold the currently playing note forever, while you play what ever counter harmony/lead you want over it. You press the control pedal again to release the note, and you can do it again with another note. Does the Helix have any kind of similar effect? I can't seem to find it if it does.

wvpv, FlyingsCool and mbenigni like this.
  15. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Hmm. Short answer is no. I'd experiment with some of the reverbs at 100% mix and very high decay rates. Not sure whether any of them have literally infinite decay lengths, but perhaps one of them is long enough. (On my PC DAW rig, I'm using SoundToys' Little Plate VST on a send bus. That has an infinite decay setting which does the Hold/Freeze thing pretty convincingly.) If you can't find a reverb that works, then perhaps a very short delay, with very high feedback. The trick is to get whichever effect onto a parallel path, then set up an A/B switch to momentarily shunt your guitar signal onto that path to capture the note. You'll need another switch to "clear" the hold by feeding it silence. Ideally you'd get both functions on one momentary switch, but I don't think there's any way to do so without external MIDI processing.

A lot of us are hoping Line 6 will throw an EHX Freeze, Plus Pedal, or similar effect into a future firmware update. Something that's a little simpler to incorporate into a preset and actually operate. :)

tmuka, FlyingsCool and etr102 like this.
  16. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

I will thanks!

This makes a lot of sense. So I guess it's really subject to the amp it's modeling. I'll try the higher gain models and see if this holds true. Thanks!

17. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

Running into the return is the same as running an external power amp and cab. I set up this way often. I always run preamp only with the big knob active as a master volume control. And it sounds effin great.
    Some guys here prefer to leave the poweramp attached (full amp) so you're in good company there.

I'm unfamiliar with your amp so can't really comment but can you try a buddie's amp for comparison? And try changing the usual suspects like input pad on/off, levels on the preamp, instrument/line level on the Helix, return volume +4/-10 on the amp itself, etc.

18. etr102

etr102 Member

Thanks for the reply, it gives some ideas to try. What I'm finding is that the base tones on the Helix are amazing, far better than I could dream of getting with a GT100/1000, but Boss seems to have the more experimental/niche effects better covered - things that probably very few people actually use but are nice to have. Overall I think the Helix gets more useful tones though.

I also really wish the Helix had LFOs or the ability to control an effect with the intensity of a note. Things that Boss can do. But as I said, having an overall better tone is more useful.

I'd like to get better at using the Helix's note generators/synths where I can assign a different note to each snapshot. Learning to co-ordinate my feet in a musical way while playing guitar will be quite a challenge for me!

tmuka, FlyingsCool and mbenigni like this.
  19. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

All I can say is that if/when we get polyphonic pitchshifting I’m going to be sooooooo excited

20. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

A bit off topic but saw this video about the late John Bonham and his incredible drumming style and technique which helped make Zeppelin such a force in the music industry!

In the second video there's an interesting clip on how the Drums were set up and recorded on the song When The Levee Breaks! :cool: