Line6 Helix

AMP question for you guys. I'm contemplating moving away from my existing setup to a more modular one. Case in point, I'm currently running my helix into the fx return of a Boss Katana Head that pushes an OS 2x12 cab. Works great. Some larger gigs I'll sub out a 4x12 for the big stages, but that cab stays in the trailer. Trouble is, the oversized 2x12 is tricky to fit into my backseat at the same time as my children, so on random gigs where I bring them with me, or heading out of town, or I'm dropping them off at their mom's on the way to the gig, it would be cool to have something a bit smaller, and I don't necessarily NEED a 2x12, it's just nice to have a bit more bigness in the sound.

I'm thinking of going with a pair of solid 1x12's that can be run either stereo or mono. That way depending on the situation, I can grab one or both, and optionally run stereo or mono without any change in my helix patches. But finding a pair of decent 1x12's plus a stereo poweramp to push them, for that money, I could just get a pair of Katana 1x12 amps, bypass it's preamps (or use them if my helix dies), and be off to the races. I haven't used the katana combos - what is the opinion on the stock speakers? Useable? The built-in Katana EQ is incredibly versatile, so I'm thinking I could use it to get a bit more bottom and less harsh upper-mids. I mean these things are like 350 apiece compared to at least twice that for a Powercab.

Thoughts?

I'm looking at replacing my tube amp monitoring with PC+s. But that's because its features suit me as well as the potential integration with other Line6 kit. I'd say it depends on your working context and how good you are at getting your kit, whatever it may be, working well for you.

Budget is often the most inelastic consideration for working guitarists. If you can get what you're after cheaper go for it.

teleguy234234

Long term AVA/Blink182 fan here :)
Your sound is way too fizzy, just like you are not using CABsim at all.
I appreciate the thoughts man. Define fizzy though- harsh too end? Thin sounding? I’m using a Dual Cab block of a Marshall Greenback 25 but I think it may be the Timmy or the amp settings perhaps.

Thoeng

I appreciate the thoughts man. Define fizzy though- harsh too end? Thin sounding? I’m using a Dual Cab block of a Marshall Greenback 25 but I think it may be the Timmy or the amp settings perhaps.

Don't really agree about it being too fizzy and think it would cut quite well through the mix of a full band.
You could try a little less gain and maybe a compressor on the dotted eight stuff.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Well as they say, the pickups are the easiest way to upgrade yer guitar. I'm jealous though that you can do THAT many swaps! I could so get caught up in the minutiea! tinkering is fun!

It's easy to do, but with this many guitars it gets old. One camp of people says to find a great guitar then make it sound however you want with pickup changes. Another camp says to not bother modding because you should just buy a great guitar that sounds how you like to begin with.

Anyways, I just got a high wind Lollar Imperial to put in the bridge and am waiting on a new switch as the stock one went bad. Once I wire it up, I'll stop tinkering (hopefully) for a good while...

I don’t have tickets for Foo Fighters, and I’m pretty sad about it.

I've seen the Foos three times now (1997 TCATS tour at Roy Wilkins, 2000 opening for RHCP at Target Center, and 2002 at a tour warmup show at First Ave) and to be honest they never blew me away live. I loved the first two albums and pretty much every B-side from that era, but I never got into the Taylor Hawkins stuff. That's weird because he's a great drummer, and drums are my first instrument, but after TCATS the songs went in a different direction than I like. They still have 1-2 great songs on each album usually.

But when Chris Cornell died, I told myself I was going to see every band that I was on the fence to see live, especially bands from my youth. I never got to see Soundgarden, one of my all time favorite bands (although I did see Audioslave at First Ave and did a meet and greet with Tom Morello...Chris was supposed to be there but he got nervous/weird when he saw the crowd and bailed). They came to town but sold out quickly in 2012, then last year they were coming to town at a big festival co-headlining with Kid Rock. I didn't want to go to a big festival and I figured they would come back through town supporting an album later that year. Chris ended up taking his life a few days after they played here.

That's kind of the story of the bands I grew up on. Kurt, Layne, Scott, Chris, all these talents gone before their time. Then you see people like Prince and Petty dying early as well. The great rock bands are fading away. So now I'm trying not to take the remaining groups for granted and have these experiences while I still can.

RockManDan

Helix Question: Have had it over a year now, love it but got it so dialed in months ago I've kinda forgotten how I did it!

Here's what I want to do. I want to hook up two different amp heads through the FX loop on the amp, for the Helix to handle all effects and play BOTH amps ... not using the Helix for any before the preamp duties ... I'll just use a splitter into the two amp inputs ... so I know how to hook it all up that way that the send receives on the Helix, but can I get the Helix to process signals coming from two Amp heads simultaneously? If so, how do I set up two parallel paths coming from the different "receives" from the amps?
I'd think the easiest would be to do it all using the send/recieve blocks right in the paths. so on the top path, start with a RECIEVE 1 bock from the fx send of amp head 1, and then put all the fx you want in there, in mono. Then put a SEND 2 block going to amp head 1's fx return at the end of that chain, and set its output to whatever, as long as its not path 2. Then on path 2, do the same thing, with a RECIEVE 3 block from fx send of amp head 2 followed by whatever fx you want on the second amp, then SEND 4 to go back to it.

If you wanted to get crazy im betting you could figure a way to get both final amp signals to sum to L/R stereo for the multi-out if you wanted to record or go to a PA system. Would probably have to do some clever panning stuff at the mix/merge points.

teleguy234234

Don't really agree about it being too fizzy and think it would cut quite well through the mix of a full band.
You could try a little less gain and maybe a compressor on the dotted eight stuff.
Thanks man I appreciate it! I was running the kinky comp but I might’ve mixed it a little wonky.

The thing is- I’m using a telecaster with single coil pickups (the Porter Custom bridge pickup is a bit hotter than a traditional tele pickup) and through a Mesa Rec model in the helix which already is a high gain amp. I feel like it will be a little gnarly sounding regardless of what I do just knowing the combo.

And if I’m being honest, while I was a huge Ava fan years ago, every single live video even pro shot I’ve seen of Toms rig IMO sounded very thin! Now perhaps this is the result of using those Palmer cab sims sent to FOH and we are just getting the FOH feed not what you heard in context of a live setting. But I’ve never been impressed with the videos I’ve seen of his live tone.

Lt_Core

Question about the Helix LT and presets/snapshots: (I don't have a Helix yet)

If I have 8 snapshots for a preset, then step on the up or down preset foot switches, will the next preset's snapshots (if any) show up on the performance view screen? It makes sense that would do that, just want to confirm. Thanks!

Atrox

If I have 8 snapshots for a preset, then step on the up or down preset foot switches, will the next preset's snapshots (if any) show up on the performance view screen? It makes sense that would do that, just want to confirm. Thanks!

It all depends on the mode you have it set at. If you have it showing 8 snapshots (like i do), if you hit the up/down, you get a list of presets you can jump to. Once you select a preset, it will show the snapshots of that preset

dotlikeimpact

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, you can set it up this way. That’s how I have it: 8 snapshots in preset mode, and up/down jumps immediately to the next preset (and the display shows the snapshot labels for that next preset immediately).

Lt_Core

It all depends on the mode you have it set at. If you have it showing 8 snapshots (like i do), if you hit the up/down, you get a list of presets you can jump to. Once you select a preset, it will show the snapshots of that preset

Yep, you can set it up this way. That’s how I have it: 8 snapshots in preset mode, and up/down jumps immediately to the next preset (and the display shows the snapshot labels for that next preset immediately).

Ok, cool! So those are 2 ways to set it up then. Pretty versatile! I think there's another way with 4 snapshots and 4 presets on the Performance View screen but not 100% sure.

Digital Igloo

Ok, cool! So those are 2 ways to set it up then. Pretty versatile! I think there's another way with 4 snapshots and 4 presets on the Performance View screen but not 100% sure.
The Up/Down footswitch (FS1/FS7) behavior is completely independent of what footswitch mode you're in. Press and hold both of them together to cycle through Bank Queue Up/Down, Preset Up/Down, and Snapshot Up/Down. Or if you're not into shortcuts, set Global Settings > Footswitches > Up/Down Switches accordingly.

yeatzee

I've never been able to really get into the ac30 tone on the Helix but I did a little paythrough / tutorial for a song that required that top boost tone and got some stuff I was really happy with. Ended up using the OCD of all drives for a lot of the main tones, which is sort of an odd pairing since I remember my ocd being super harsh through my Ac10 but it works great in the Helix for cutting leads!

If you skip ahead I show the isolated tones, then the last third I play again with guitar higher in the mix.

Ransome

Ok, this has never happened before. My wife - who has great ears - wanders in as I’m mixing what I’m thinking are some pretty vanilla tracks:

“Wow, how did you get that incredible guitar sound? Is it that new box you got?”

“Yup.”

“I guess it was worth it.”

No, she bought something WAY more expensive. That's a cover up compliment...

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The keyboard player in the gig I played this weekend also is the keyboardist for the prog band Circus Maximus.
He told me both they moved from Axe to Helix a while ago, both for guitar and bass. :)

Check them out, killer band, same style as Dream Theater.

Frank Ritchotte

Gold Supporting Member
The keyboard player in the gig I played this weekend also is the keyboardist for the prog band Circus Maximus.
He told me both they moved from Axe to Helix a while ago, both for guitar and bass. :)

They are AWESOME! Mats has been killing it with Helix for a while! I wish they would push into the US. They have a great following in Europe.

Badonkey Kong

One of my favorite bands since i discovered them... That's really cool they switched to Helix!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
They are AWESOME! Mats has been killing it with Helix for a while! I wish they would push into the US. They have a great following in Europe.
Yeah they're fantastic! I'm seeing Mats saturday, he's playing in a great Toto tribute band too. I'll see if I can grabs some iPhone footage of him and Helix is action to post here. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom