Line6 Helix

yeatzee

Nice tone, you should post the patch on custom tone.
Thanks. I created a new template that I really like which I used in that patch so I intend on making a video going over it all in a future YouTube video. Stay tuned for that (and subscribe ;) )

Nice "chime". Really nice. :beer So nice I listened to the end.
Wow thanks! I bet you're one of maybe 5 people total that have listened to the end so kudos to you haha. That high end thing is tough to nail, it's the biggest difference I hear with great Kemper tones. They seem to have this bright present top end but it's almost rounded so that it is never harsh. Since somebody didn't do all the work for me (upload an amp profile and be done with it) it takes a bit more work with the Helix to get everything right. It's the most happy I've been with the ac30 so far :)

Atrox

I have had my Shuriken for 5 days now. This combo is powerful. I'm loving it!
IMG_0633.jpg

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Very nice, exceptional clean sound.

Thanks... as a life-long Fender guy, one of the things I REALLY enjoy about the Helix, is the ability to experiment with other platforms that I never tried (either didn't want to or couldn't afford!) and find out what they're all about. I knew that I always loved a good 5F6A Bassman tone, both clean and pushed, and I knew the JTM45 is essentially the same circuit, but the clean tone on the JTM seems to be a bit "hardier" and less "fragile" sounding to my ears. I have played a few 45s in my day, but never even considered trying to get good cleans from it.

I also have found many good uses for an AC30 tone, and that's one amp I never tried before. Helix can open doors for folks, I think.

jmtaylor22

I have had my Shuriken for 5 days now. This combo is powerful. I'm loving it!

How well does that guitar balance? Can you play sitting down without a strap and does it stay on a guitar stand. I am always curious about odd shapes like that. I like the look of it but not sure about the ergonomics of it.

tmuka

Was inspired by this video Rhett Shull posted comparing his Morgan AC20 to a 90s’ AC30 TB.

Made a patch on helix with stock Essex 30 amp with following exceptions: alnico blue dual cab (used the same mics in the video) , instead of an ep booster to “boost” the amp, I just setup a switch to crank the drive to 7.5 and reduce the channel volume 1db. Sounded much cleaner to my ears than an EP Booster.

In addition, I found a KILLER free drum kit with several mic (close, room, overhead) choices of a Gretsch Catalina kit. There are multiple velocity samples of each drum and the only caveat is there are no cymbals. I loaded in some crashes and hats from the singerland kit (availible online). If you’re on Studio One just download the drum kit, pick which samples you want and load into Impact. No external EZ Drummer or other drum plugin required!

As soon as I get a velocity sensitive midi controller this will be easier but for a free kit I’m really loving this! Link here: https://badracket.com/free-drum-samples-pack/

Here is the track basically accomplishing two things: new AC30TB patch and a drum kit. The only mixing on the drums is adding in overhead samples in places. Drums could’ve used a bit of reverb to tie it together but I’m loving the sound.

I love this nice punchy tele tone! I love when non Helix recordings inspire us to seek after those tones and chains in Helix land! So many high quality possibilities and flexibility in the box is really a game changer.

Last edited:

tmuka

I've never been able to really get into the ac30 tone on the Helix but I did a little paythrough / tutorial for a song that required that top boost tone and got some stuff I was really happy with. Ended up using the OCD of all drives for a lot of the main tones, which is sort of an odd pairing since I remember my ocd being super harsh through my Ac10 but it works great in the Helix for cutting leads!

If you skip ahead I show the isolated tones, then the last third I play again with guitar higher in the mix.

sounds good to me! I never bonded with an OCD on my old pedal board, always seemed harsh to me too, but I find I like the helix ocd to give an edge to some boosted tones. maybe they just modeled a good OCD and mine wasn't great, or perhaps it helps that we're already doing high cuts that we wouldn't have with an amp in the room...

tmuka

So @teleguy234234 inspired me to make a Tom Delonge Helix preset and I feel like I got one pretty close to the Enema/TYPAOJI era Blink sound. Man, listening to this stuff takes me back. And makes me want to skateboard.

For some reason after bouncing in Garageband the bass got really pronounced. I should definitely dial that back.

Not much to the preset, Suhr T > Deluxe Comp > Klon (zero gain, just boost) > Cali IV Lead (really low gain though) > Ownhammer IR (Marshall GNR 412) > Para EQ (boosting lows, probably too much since hearing the bounced file)

that sounds even better than I remember their tones :)

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
Is the "Line" level coming out of the Helix -10dBV or +4dBu? I think my frfr is set to -10 at the moment.

Ronalddus

Thanks. I created a new template that I really like which I used in that patch so I intend on making a video going over it all in a future YouTube video. Stay tuned for that (and subscribe ;) )

Wow thanks! I bet you're one of maybe 5 people total that have listened to the end so kudos to you haha. That high end thing is tough to nail, it's the biggest difference I hear with great Kemper tones. They seem to have this bright present top end but it's almost rounded so that it is never harsh. Since somebody didn't do all the work for me (upload an amp profile and be done with it) it takes a bit more work with the Helix to get everything right. It's the most happy I've been with the ac30 so far :)

I will stay tuned for that video!
Mentioned it before, but the tone quality and videos you make about them are great!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Is the "Line" level coming out of the Helix -10dBV or +4dBu? I think my frfr is set to -10 at the moment.
I don't have the exact answer for you but I do know line level when taken to the board is HOT as f! I leave my outputs to my stage monitors/amp at line level.

How well does that guitar balance? Can you play sitting down without a strap and does it stay on a guitar stand. I am always curious about odd shapes like that. I like the look of it but not sure about the ergonomics of it.

For myself, I’ve found it to balance quite well when I’m sitting down and playing. No strap required. It really is a quality, well built instrument. The neck feels great and the overall finish of the guitar is immaculate. Definitely one of the best guitar purchases I’ve ever made.

chrisjw5

Wow awesome! I've made the mistake of posting in the Helix thread when I'm using an HX Effects!! Haha crap. I read your comments though. Hopefully I can use that as a guide. Thanks

Honestly, I think the only difference is that you have to EQ for whatever amp you're using.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom