Line6 Helix

Lt_Core

Is anyone using a Boss Katana as an onstage monitor? I have the Katana 100w 1x12 combo. My Helix should be shipping within a day or two so I'll be able to test it out. Would I plug the Helix into the Katana's return? Thanks!

yeatzee

sounds good to me! I never bonded with an OCD on my old pedal board, always seemed harsh to me too, but I find I like the helix ocd to give an edge to some boosted tones. maybe they just modeled a good OCD and mine wasn't great, or perhaps it helps that we're already doing high cuts that we wouldn't have with an amp in the room...
Yeah though I did like it through my fender amps but not the vox stuff. Just from the memory of it I never actually used it in any patches until now but I've been pleasantly surprised :)

I will stay tuned for that video!
Mentioned it before, but the tone quality and videos you make about them are great!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Phnurt

Moron
Silver Supporting Member
Is the "Line" level coming out of the Helix -10dBV or +4dBu? I think my frfr is set to -10 at the moment.
The line level is +4 and the instrument level is -10. You'll have your best tone if the Helix and your frfr are set the same.

Edit: generally you'd use instrument level for 4 cable method applications (as a replacement for a pedal board) and line level for straight to FOH. Again, generally, the Helix is so mutable for so many applications.

Last edited:

Atrox

How well does that guitar balance? Can you play sitting down without a strap and does it stay on a guitar stand. I am always curious about odd shapes like that. I like the look of it but not sure about the ergonomics of it.

It won't work on a stand, but hangs fine from a guitar hook. It's very light and very balanced

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
I hope others here find this as interesting as I did. Premier Guitar's latest Rig Rundown featuring Joe Bonamassa is chock full of insightful comments regarding how Joe blends his amp sounds and frequencies. Absolutely, a Multi Amp In The Room approach! The first half of the 52 minute video is all about Joe's current touring Fender and Gibson guitars. The second half is all about his amps, etc. Joe's theories and techniques are not about digital nor modeling, nonetheless are very useful common sense methods to getting great tones regardless of the form of the circuitry.

P.S. Mods, if this exceeds TGP's posting rules, please feel to delete the post.

Last edited:

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
The line level is +4 and the instrument level is -10. You'll have your best tone if the Helix and your frfr are set the same.

Edit: generally you'd use instrument level for 4 cable method applications (as a replacement for a pedal board) and line level for straight to FOH. Again, generally, the Helix is so mutable for so many applications.

According to the folks at Sweetwater in this article:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcar...ic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

"Line level signals are the highest level signals before amplification. This is the type of signal that typically flows through your recording system after the preamplifier stage and before the amplifier that powers your speakers. The two types of line levels are consumer and professional.

• Consumer line level is rated around -10dBV and is what you’ll find in products like a CD player.
  • Professional line level is rated around +4 dBu and can be found in equipment like mixing desks, preamplifiers, and signal processing equipment."
So according to Sweetwater both -10 and +4 are line level, just different types of line level. It would obviously be better to match it with the frfr..

weshunter

Silver Supporting Member
I hope others here find this as interesting as I did. Premier Guitar's latest Rig Rundown featuring Joe Bonamassa is chock full of insightful comments regarding how Joe blends his amp sounds and frequencies. Absolutely, a Multi Amp In The Room approach! The first half of the 52 minute video is all about Joe's current touring Fender and Gibson guitars. The second half is all about his amps, etc. Joe's theories and techniques are not about digital nor modeling, nonetheless are very useful common sense methods to getting great tones regardless of the form of the circuitry.

thanks for posting - really interesting. He doesn't play the kind of music that I like but he seems like a funny guy to me. I know lots of people don't like him, but I do. Tough to argue with that tone, too.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
Joe is an awesome guy, an incredibly talented player, a guitar and amp historian and collector, and a massively successful business entrepreneur! Not everyone cares for his style, but if you've never seen him play live, you're missing one of the greats!

VCuomo

That's a great interview - JB also addresses his infamous comments about playing with pedals. ;)

Phnurt

Moron
Silver Supporting Member
According to the folks at Sweetwater in this article:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcar...ic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

"Line level signals are the highest level signals before amplification. This is the type of signal that typically flows through your recording system after the preamplifier stage and before the amplifier that powers your speakers. The two types of line levels are consumer and professional.

• Consumer line level is rated around -10dBV and is what you’ll find in products like a CD player.
  • Professional line level is rated around +4 dBu and can be found in equipment like mixing desks, preamplifiers, and signal processing equipment."
So according to Sweetwater both -10 and +4 are line level, just different types of line level. It would obviously be better to match it with the frfr..
You're misreading the article. It's not about pro level or consumer level. It's all about the device. A $300 pedal would be considered a "pro-level" device. Pedals are instrument level devices (ie. In front of the amp or in the loop). I say again, line level is +4 and instrument level is -10
Don't over think it.

Phnurt

Moron
Silver Supporting Member
Back in the early 80's I knew (and jammed drums once with) Jake E. Lee who was in a rival band "Teaser". Out of the blue one day he called me and asked if I wanted to play for a band called "Mickey Ratt". I said no because I had started running sound around San Diego. :cool:
Ahhh so close! ;) i'm a native San Diegan if you recall. The early 80's was a trove of up-n-comers. Good times.

cabojoe

Joe is an awesome guy, an incredibly talented player, a guitar and amp historian and collector, and a massively successful business entrepreneur! Not everyone cares for his style, but if you've never seen him play live, you're missing one of the greats!
OLVdlB4.jpg

IZvbH2C.jpg

Saw Joe about a month ago...5th row center at Humphrey's San Diego. Sonically outstanding. Tele and strat tones to die for. He only pulled out this one Les Paul.

richpjr

OLVdlB4.jpg

IZvbH2C.jpg

Saw Joe about a month ago...5th row center at Humphrey's San Diego. Sonically outstanding. Tele and strat tones to die for. He only pulled out this one Les Paul.

Ugh - was supposed to go to that show and had to go out of town on business and gave the tickets to a friend.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom