Line6 Helix

Badonkey Kong

That's hilarious and falls in line with my track record RE:hating things and then ending up loving them :anon I LOATHE Randy Rhoades guitar tone and I associate it completely with that original pedal. Good job @benadrian making your version kick-ass \m/

I think a lot of the issue with Randy's tone was miking. The first album (Blizzard of Ozz) there is so much off axis honk it drives me bonkers. At least I think that's what it is... The second album (Diary of Madman) sounds much better to my ears. Similar for various live recordings - some are terrible, some are pretty good.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I think a lot of the issue with Randy's tone was miking. The first album (Blizzard of Ozz) there is so much off axis honk it drives me bonkers. At least I think that's what it is... The second album (Diary of Madman) sounds much better to my ears. Similar for various live recordings - some are terrible, some are pretty good.
If we're being honest; I'm more of a Jake E. Lee fan. I dig his tone (and Ozzy albums) with early Zakk stuff a close second.

DonaldDingus

Howdy!
Since you're using Helix native, my guess is that the guitar is hitting the plug-in at a higher level than it would hit the model if you were using actual Helix hardware. All the modeling was done to be voltage accurate with the A->D built into Helix. However, there is no real standard for level between a guitar level in and digital dBFS level. If there is, I'm not sure what it is. If I had my way I'd get my hands on the 25 most popular audio interfaces and publish gain compensation levels to match the analog guitar input to Helix's guitar input.

This is the reason that we have the input level on Helix native, and we have recommended input level reading in the manual. However, it's really hard to predict how humans will read level meters. However, this gave me an idea...

Load the Vermin model into a clean amp model... or even with no amp model.
Turn the drive and volume to max.
Play guitar and toggle the pedal on and off.
Adjust the Helix Native input level slider so there is a bit of a boost when the Vermin is on.

This is a VERY coarse adjustment, and it going to probably still be on the loud side, but at least it will be closer.

Good luck!

Hello, Ben. I'm not sure I follow here. I believe you two were discussing correct input levels into native. I tried your test with the Vermin pedal and no amp. Could you please clarify why you would do this? If I get anywhere near the recommended native input level and turn the vermin pedal on with max gain and level, I'm blown out of the water

Badonkey Kong

If we're being honest; I'm more of a Jake E. Lee fan. I dig his tone (and Ozzy albums) with early Zakk stuff a close second.

I love em all. Randy was happening right after I started playing, he really resonated with me, helped me expand beyond pentatonics. I loved Eddie but couldn't figure out what he was doing half the time, whereas Randy's stuff helped me apply theory. I was convincing my brother to take me to the show right before he died in 82 :\

For sure Jake had better tone, and lots of cool stuff. And Zakk for squeals and chugga chugga... :D

Lt_Core

I’m starting to dial-in some decent tones with my new LT. I put a Digitech Drop in front of it but it seems to add a touch of gain and a metallic sound on clean sounds.

Has anyone experienced this? I’ve been giggling with the Drop for years in front of regular amps and never had an issue. Turning the Helix guitar pad to On helped a little. Thanks!

ibis

HELP REQUEST;

That Fuzz impedance thing again, which I admit I haven't been following assiduously.

I'm Going throw Hold The Line in the set tonight and want to use a Triangle Fuzz into US Deluxe Vib for the Intro/Chorus sections but flip it off and go to my to my Solo sound (Teemah -> 808-> US Deluxe Vib).

I have been trying to set the Guitar In-Z to 10k for the fuzz and 230k for the distortion pedal patches respectively, using the controller assign to snapshots feature. Only its not saving the settings per snapshot.

I guess this is an age-old known bug that I've stumbled across and you'll all advise me to keep up with the news!

Anyhow, can you help me with this? Am I being dumb and just not using it correctly? As far as I can see there isn't a Global Guitar In-Z setting to interfere and override the snapshot preference.

FW 2.60

Telemudcat

Jake's tone on the first couple Badlands albums was so refreshing when it came out. It was different than the other stuff that was out there at the time, a little more raunchy, less heavy than he had with Ozzy. I think that if that style of music hadn't of killed itself, Badlands would have been one of the biggest rock bands. They were more towards GnR than they were hair metal. But man, those tones. Now I have to research what he was using and try to get that in the Helix....

MIJLOVER

HELP REQUEST;

That Fuzz impedance thing again, which I admit I haven't been following assiduously.

I'm Going throw Hold The Line in the set tonight and want to use a Triangle Fuzz into US Deluxe Vib for the Intro/Chorus sections but flip it off and go to my to my Solo sound (Teemah -> 808-> US Deluxe Vib).

I have been trying to set the Guitar In-Z to 10k for the fuzz and 230k for the distortion pedal patches respectively, using the controller assign to snapshots feature. Only its not saving the settings per snapshot.

I guess this is an age-old known bug that I've stumbled across and you'll all advise me to keep up with the news!

Anyhow, can you help me with this? Am I being dumb and just not using it correctly? As far as I can see there isn't a Global Guitar In-Z setting to interfere and override the snapshot preference.

FW 2.60

Should be easy: just press down the button and twist at the same time. The number should be in white brackets. No reason to go into controller assign at all. Let me know if I misunderstood you. :)

ibis

Should be easy: just press down the button and twist at the same time. The number should be in white brackets. No reason to go into controller assign at all. Let me know if I misunderstood you. :)
Thanks for that, that sticks ok. I never edit on the machine, but use the Mac editor. Whatever I did, the Z wouldn't stick for a snapshot.
Would still like to know what I did wrong or if its a bug, but many thank you's for getting me sorted in time.

ibis

Ha, in the editor, you have to click away from the input block and then back again to see an updated value. If not the value is greyed and shows the previous setting.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for that, that sticks ok. I never edit on the machine, but use the Mac editor. Whatever I did, the Z wouldn't stick for a snapshot.
Would still like to know what I did wrong or if its a bug, but many thank you's for getting me sorted in time.

You have to assign the parameter to a snapshot controller in order for its value to change with snapshot. That’s what the push and twist thing does on the hardware. In the editor, on a Mac, simply hit OPTION + Click on the parameter to assign it to a snapshot controller. You’ll see the brackets appear when you do that. You can also two finger tap (right click) on the parameter and you’ll see the list of available parameters appear. You can select “Snapshot” from there.

MIJLOVER

I'm just so used to editing on the unit itself so I often forget how to do stuff in the editor. Anyway, glad you figured it out on your own.

It might be a help to check out the Helix App manual found on Helix website (link below)

https://line6.com/support/manuals/helix

Have fun :)

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
Next saturday I'll play my first tube free gig with helix.
I've decided not to go the 4cm with my tube head and bring only the ss power amp I use for band practice.

It will also be the first gig with the current lineup.

I'm back from the gig, was a kind of end of summer feast in a small town with different bands playing in different spots.

the Helix sounded great and worked flawlessly. I had the 1/4 out going to the poweramp+4x12 and the xlr going to the PA.

The sound guy, a guitar player and Helix user, after the sound check came to me asking how I was using the helix because sounded very good. He was especially surprised by the sound coming from the 4x12.

and you know what?
all my presets are basically just an ep booster going into the plexi bright straight to the output, some times with an fx or two added.
you don't need tricks when you have an Helix!

anyway, we rocked for a bit more than 2 hours playing a 25 song setlist + 1 and had a lot of fun.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom