Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Blix

Blix Member

2. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

The '74 JMP landed today!

[​IMG]

3. rubytopaz

rubytopaz Supporting Member

Does anyone know what Helix amp is closest to the Laney LA100BL? @benadrian ?
    Thanks

4. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

*drool*

tonyhay likes this.
  5. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

I can't believe it was delivered with the daisy-chained inputs. :)

"We mean it, man!"

tonyhay likes this.
  6. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

To me Randy Rhoads' tone on those Ozzy records is sort of iconic and really made those records stand out at the time. Of course, much of that could be nostalgia.

mbenigni likes this.
  7. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

That's my default way of using the helix, L/R out -> aux in using a y-cable. Works great for me with the relatively low volume needed around the house.

MusicLaw likes this.
  8. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Talking about Wet/Dry/Wet in the Powercab thread got me thinking about one of my favorite Helix videos of all time. This is more Helix related than Powercab related so thought I would cross post.

I wonder where Sean Halley is today. Love his stuff.

mrboston likes this.
  9. Blix

Blix Member

Lastest amp model discovery, the Divived Duo /13 model. I have mostly ignored it as it default volume is so low, but once I balanced it with other models it's plain awesome! Hit it with a Minotaur and wow!

But seriously, what with the wildy varying default volumes between amps. Some are megaloud, others are low as ****.

10. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

I think Sean's with PositiveGrid these days. His "3 quick tones" for the Helix was what pushed me over the edge -- granted, it was more a gentle nudge.

Screamin Willie likes this.
  11. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

It's the same way with Preamp only models....I ended up just using a volume block to boost things post amp model as a quick way to level things out.

Blix likes this.
  12. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

He was supposed to bake clams and mussels at our house tomorrow (the dude's KILLER in the kitchen), but decided to spend the weekend in Idyllwild instead. What a flake. :D

Just kidding, brother!

aruark1, mrboston, rubytopaz and 4 others like this.
  13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Just catching up with a few pages of posts!

This is great advice! Ideally I would follow it occasionally...

I think I have the 80 ohm DT-880...lower ohms means it's easier to drive with a lower power amp, but you can lose some high-end detail. Most consumer gear has low ohms because the amps (i.e. headphone jacks) are not that powerful. High end studio gear tends to have much better quality amps (i.e. studio mixers/interfaces).

Helix should be fine with any of them, but I think that 50-100 ohm is the sweet spot.

Not recently but this is usually where I end up. I try to love the stock cabs but end up preferring IR's most of the time.

I really wish for improved IR management and visibility in a new firmware.

The combo that works most of the time for me is the 1x12 Deluxe and 4x12 V30 Cali. The Deluxe has a lot of high end excitement and low end presence while the 4x12 Cali has a strong midrange. That adds the complexity. It may not hit the EQ curve you want but it's better for me.

Great playing and great tone! One of the cleanest covers I've heard of that song.

Wrong place to ask, but I wish they had an audio podcast! Usually listen to those while I'm working or cleaning but YouTube podcasts like these are hard to pay attention to.

I haven't tried it for a while but I preferred the studio monitors a fair amount over the THR, although I prefer headphones most of the time.

Someone mentioned it, but different Plexis have different bright caps which change the low end a fair amount. To me the magic is in how the gain gets built up with the low end cut. Similar to how a Tubescreamer running into a hot amp cleans up the low end and makes the tone much more in your face.

I believe one common mod was to reduce the negative feedback in the power amp section which will boost the low end after the gain stages. You can't do that in Helix unfortunately. But the Friedman is a modded Plexi with, among other things, that mod. I would say if you try boosting the mids/treble you can get a bit closer to that Plexi attack with a fatter low end.

Otherwise the trick of running the jumpered Plexi and adding in a bit of the normal channel alongside the bright can add a little bit of fullness. It does sound a bit fuzzier though to me.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  14. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

My mom was in Yadkinville, but has sense moved to a safer place. Still in NC, though. Stay safe!

15. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Yeah, one of the things I love of the plexi is the in your face tone you get and there is no substitute for that. Even the 2204, an amp I really like, is mellower. The other thing I love is how the amp cleans up.

The Placater....that amp with presence, mids and treble up can be more in your face but in a different part of the spectrum and different attitude, and that bugs me.

The plexi jumpered sounds fuller but is ok for light crunchy tones only. For my likings it falls apart and gets fuzzy, as you say, when the gain goes up.

I like to run the plexi with the gain up to 6, 6.5 for heavy rhythm stuff and up to 8.5 for some leads tones and you can't really do that with the jumpered channels. At least I can't.

Anyway, as I've already said, there's nothing wrong in adding some bass with an eq to get the sound I like with the plexi bright.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  16. baldric

baldric Member

I officially hate 2018, deaths, divorce, business going tits up, teenage daughter giving me grief..... and now my beloved Helix's rotary pot has given up on me after a nearly three year love affair.... It selects blocks in all directions but it won't scroll. I am going for the Prozac as I type.:(

17. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

@Frank Ritchotte probably can't help you with all those other things, but fixing a rotary pot? That he can do. I think it just needs a bit with a soldering iron :)

18. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

:console

19. baldric

baldric Member

She is out of warranty as her 3rd birthday is in January 2019 and she has never laid anywhere but on my studio/livingroom floor and I play with her buttons so very gently! If it is a case of opening her up and fiddling about inside, I am up for that! But would appreciate some step by step advice on the ins and outs.

20. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

You should still talk to Frank first.

aruark1, mrboston, VCuomo and 3 others like this.