Line6 Helix

AZguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe this has already been posted as I was to lazy to go back and check but on a Helix note if you did not see it. Check out Lovelytheband with Arizona's own Wade Cota last night. Two Helix's on stage, all sounded great. Song starts at :18. Pretty sure L6 has @-Empire to thank for Lovely's adoption of Helix.

Cool that they are also nominated for TRA at the upcoming Billboard Awards.
Top Rock Artist:
Imagine Dragons
Lovelytheband
Panic! At The Disco
Queen
Twenty One Pilots

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
Going back to the "presets for individual blocks" issue, I just wanted to weigh in - my personal take is that you should be able to set your own defaults, for one reason and one reason alone: Setting "trails on" with delays every single time is beyond annoying!

No, really, it is. I always want trails on by default with delays (and reverbs), but they always default to "no trails". The number of times I want no trails is pretty minimal - either when they don't matter (slapback delay), or when the cut off is an effect (replicating some Graham Coxon stuff, for me, usually).

It would also be really handy when dialing up "quick'n'dirty" presets on amp models I use a lot, but whose defaults are far from where I use them - Mandarin 80, for instance, has the FAC set at the other end from where I set it, so I don't end up using it that much. I'd love to be able to preset it where I like it, then be able to pull THAT up if creating a quick patch for whatever reason.

This would be especially useful on the cabs, as most of them don't default to the settings I use!

To the guy who said that was "amateurish" - seriously, what's up with you? This is a feature that would be far more useful to "pros" than amateurs, since it saves time and effort...

As far as implementation, I could see an elegant way of doing it as having a global "enable user default" setting, that when switched adds another binary "save as user default" control to all blocks a'la the Trails setting on delays (but automatically disables for snapshots). If you don't enable it, then the experience remains the same, and if you do, it is pretty unobtrusive. Sure, that isn't as "complete" as the BOSS implementation, but it would do what I feel most people who want the feature would actually use - let them set their own "starting point".

Last edited:

Mark Al

Going back to the "presets for individual blocks" issue, I just wanted to weigh in - my personal take is that you should be able to set your own defaults, for one reason and one reason alone: Setting "trails on" with delays every single time is beyond annoying!

No, really, it is. I always want trails on by default with delays (and reverbs), but they always default to "no trails". The number of times I want no trails is pretty minimal - either when they don't matter (slapback delay), or when the cut off is an effect (replicating some Graham Coxon stuff, for me, usually).

It would also be really handy when dialing up "quick'n'dirty" presets on amp models I use a lot, but whose defaults are far from where I use them - Mandarin 80, for instance, has the FAS set at the other end from where I set it, so I don't end up using it that much. I'd love to be able to preset it where I like it, then be able to pull THAT up if creating a quick patch for whatever reason.

This would be especially useful on the cabs, as most of them don't default to the settings I use!

To the guy who said that was "amateurish" - seriously, what's up with you? This is a feature that would be far more useful to "pros" than amateurs, since it saves time and effort...

As far as implementation, I could see an elegant way of doing it as having a global "enable user default" setting, that when switched adds another binary "save as user default" control to all blocks a'la the Trails setting on delays (but automatically disables for snapshots). If you don't enable it, then the experience remains the same, and if you do, it is pretty unobtrusive. Sure, that isn't as "complete" as the BOSS implementation, but it would do what I feel most people who want the feature would actually use - let them set their own "starting point".
+1, that and a million other default settings.

Current default for pretty much every setting is not working for me. Please allow us to change and save the default settings...

I want to pull an amp with all familiar settings, or a verb or a delay or a drive, all with my own familier settings. Building new preset that way could have saved me tons of knob turning...

D4vidgd

David
Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone experienced helix floor freezing where tap tempo is still blinking and sound is still comes through, but nothing else can be done without turning the unit off and back on?

I've reloaded 2.71 and I'm about to restore to a backup and see if that helps. It has been happening the last few times I've played and multiple different presets. At first I thought it was only while plugged in the USB and with HX edit open, but it just happened again without as well. The screen went black when I changed snapshots the last time.

Edit: I’ve reset to factory and am trying to restore to a backup from February. It is failing about halfway through.

Last edited:

-Empire

Maybe this has already been posted as I was to lazy to go back and check but on a Helix note if you did not see it. Check out Lovelytheband with Arizona's own Wade Cota last night. Two Helix's on stage, all sounded great. Song starts at :18. Pretty sure L6 has @-Empire to thank for Lovely's adoption of Helix.

Cool that they are also nominated for TRA at the upcoming Billboard Awards.
Top Rock Artist:
Imagine Dragons
Lovelytheband
Panic! At The Disco
Queen
Twenty One Pilots

Thanks for the shout out. The guys love the Helix and are pumped about the Billboard nominations.

We are 3 days into rehearsals for the next US headiner and the tones are sounding dope. We are using 4 Helix units direct on this tour (lead, rhythm, bass, and aux). I’m playing keys and aux guitars, running my electric and acoustic through Helix.

Here’s the dates for the tour. Playing a bunch of festivals this summer too.

ZQX6Tlw.png

Last edited:

ejeffreyhorn

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone experienced helix floor freezing where tap tempo is still blinking and sound is still comes through, but nothing else can be done without turning the unit off and back on?

I've reloaded 2.71 and I'm about to restore to a backup and see if that helps. It has been happening the last few times I've played and multiple different presets. At first I thought it was only while plugged in the USB and with HX edit open, but it just happened again without as well. The screen went black when I changed snapshots the last time.

Edit: I’ve reset to factory and am trying to restore to a backup from February. It is failing about halfway through.

I've had that happen on both Helix Floor and HX Stomp.

D4vidgd

David
Silver Supporting Member
Update:

I reset my USB ports in device manager (windows 10), re-downloaded 2.71, HX edit, line 6 updater, did a factory reset and loaded a backup from two weeks ago. I also deleted all of the presets from the set list I was in. I was getting a freeze every few minutes on multiple presets. I've had the normal freeze here and there, but never like this so I was a little worried!

I've been playing for about 30 minutes so far while making edits on the computer and on the floor and it seems to have worked.

Edit: I take that back...

Last edited:

Mark Al

Update:

I reset my USB ports in device manager (windows 10), re-downloaded 2.71, HX edit, line 6 updater, did a factory reset and loaded a backup from two weeks ago. I also deleted all of the presets from the set list I was in. I was getting a freeze every few minutes on multiple presets. I've had the normal freeze here and there, but never like this so I was a little worried!

I've been playing for about 30 minutes so far while making edits on the computer and on the floor and it seems to have worked.

Edit: I take that back...
I have a feeling it might have something to do with your USB connection. Does the freeze happen when you use the unit without it being connected to a computer?

How about Windowpane? That was big over here.

Well, I sort of fell out of that scene for a few years and didn't keep up so I wouldn't really know. I was straight-edge for a period in the '80's and then I had a period of amusing drunkeness. I revisited the psychedelic experiences briefly in the early '90's as I was introduced to the underground dance and house party thing going on in London at the time. Age however gives a different perspective to experience. And also, I think I was slightly more sensible in my experimentations and pleasurable inebriations than many folk are inasmuch as I insured there were no sharp objects around and had sensible babysitters for the psychedelics, and I never got behind the wheel of a car when drunk. (That way, if I screwed up, I didn't take anyone with me.) But I think most folk on this forum who experimented with mind-altering substances were probably pretty responsible - it goes with the territory. A large percentage of guitarists are on the spectrum, it appears. Maybe you have to be to put in the practice, look after your kit, hone your sound, learn the material... go on TGP, debate about Dumble tones, slag off kit you don't use, and praise the kit you do... (cont page 94)

ngc5128

It seems to happen mostly when I hit the “amp block” button on the front. Might just be my imagination, but seems like it.
Same here with the LT and firmware 2.3 and with 2.7.1 hitting the amp block. Happens almost dayli when I do a lot of preset tweaking.
EDIT: happens both with USB connected and without USB.

D4vidgd

David
Silver Supporting Member
I have a feeling it might have something to do with your USB connection. Does the freeze happen when you use the unit without it being connected to a computer?

It has happened without being connected to my computer and not editing just playing. I played for about five minutes on the first patch of the factory reset and it froze as well. I just had a gig two weekends ago and it was perfectly fine.

rubytopaz

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I sort of fell out of that scene for a few years and didn't keep up so I wouldn't really know. I was straight-edge for a period in the '80's and then I had a period of amusing drunkeness. I revisited the psychedelic experiences briefly in the early '90's as I was introduced to the underground dance and house party thing going on in London at the time. Age however gives a different perspective to experience. And also, I think I was slightly more sensible in my experimentations and pleasurable inebriations than many folk are inasmuch as I insured there were no sharp objects around and had sensible babysitters for the psychedelics, and I never got behind the wheel of a car when drunk. (That way, if I screwed up, I didn't take anyone with me.) But I think most folk on this forum who experimented with mind-altering substances were probably pretty responsible - it goes with the territory. A large percentage of guitarists are on the spectrum, it appears. Maybe you have to be to put in the practice, look after your kit, hone your sound, learn the material... go on TGP, debate about Dumble tones, slag off kit you don't use, and praise the kit you do... (cont page 94)
Unfortunatey, I was 13 years old in the the early 70s...not a good age to be doing that stuff, and definitely not responsible. It was what we were doing at the time. Wasn't fun. Good thing I had my trusty Univox guitar for focus. Only did it less than a handful of times. A bad experience and I stopped for good.
In 1979, when I started my martial arts training in earnest, I stopped everything (smoking pot...which I did a LOT, and other stuff as well). No drugs at all. I rarely have wine or scotch or bourbon...love to sip a bit, now and again, but not to alter how I feel.

AZguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the shout out. The guys love the Helix and pumped about the Billboard nominations.

We are 3 days into rehearsals for the next US headiner and the tones are sounding dope. We are using 4 Helix units direct on this tour (lead, rhythm, bass, and aux). I’m playing keys and aux guitars, running my electric and acoustic through Helix.

Here’s the dates for the tour. Playing a bunch of festivals this summer too.

tumblr_inline_plciscAYub1s9on4d_540.png

Congrats on your gig man!...where's Phx!! I will try and make Santa Ana, post some vids when you can.

Digital Igloo

Going back to the "presets for individual blocks" issue, I just wanted to weigh in - my personal take is that you should be able to set your own defaults...
I'm 100% on board with user model defaults, and this is one of those 50 or so things that was in the original 1.0 spec that never made it in for one reason or another. Totally different than slogging through a list within another list tho'.

Mark Al

I'm 100% on board with user model defaults, and this is one of those 50 or so things that was in the original 1.0 spec that never made it in for one reason or another. Totally different than slogging through a list within another list tho'.
Now one remark about the factory defaults, especially those of amps. It’d be nice for them to be more sensible/meaningful, eg
1. If the original modeled amp does not have a master, the default master should be 10.
2. If the modeled amp has no presence, then the default for presence should be zero.
3. The same thing applies for mid
4. Sensible values should be applied to deep parameters as well, bias, biasX etc, eg bias should be higher for class A amps, biasX should be low for solid state rectifiers, etc.

It totally mess up my feel/experience when hearing power tube compression/distortion on a Twin in Helix :)

Mark Al

On a different topic, I am wrapping up my recent exploration of IRs, systematically auditioning through thousands of them from OH, RedWires and Celestion. Here are a few things I learned:
1. I generally prefer 2x12 cab ir instead of 4x12 cabs.
2. To my ear, OH IRs seem almost all made in close range mic positions, which is not always a good idea.
3. RedWires provides the most detailed IRs with both distance and off axis configuration. Great!
4. Celestion IR are simpler to use, single mic IRs sound really good, better than OH. Those mixed one not so much, eg those labeled with Lo/Hi gains.

However in the end, guess what, I still prefer Helix stock cabs in general, which somehow sounds more pure, eg purely speaker and cab sound, no verb no nothing else, more focused, for lack of better words. This is what differentiates Helix stock cabs from all other IRs :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom