Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

I started to compare my GO-TO Dual Recto presets today between Helix and AX8. Didn't even try to match them. Both tones were created in different time.

Which one you guys prefer?

HELIX

AX8

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. veritechc

veritechc Member

The Line 6 Helix Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL on Facebook was just mentioned in the Line 6 Soundbytes newsletter. If you haven't dropped past I am inviting you to come and join our family. The group is specifically for helping HX users answer questions and get support.

Line 6 featured the group I helped to create in their Soundbytes Newsletter this month. It's incredible to be part of such an amazing group of friendly and talented musicians and I am honored about my role in that!
    http://pages.line6.com/index.php/email/emailWebview

3. Fireheart7

Fireheart7 Member

First half, big chords, Helix.
    2nd half riffing, AX8

Drop the sun and josetxu like this.
  4. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

Oh boy.

5. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Depends on the purpose.
    Usually before Cab as though it was a pedal or Echoplex.
    If I am adding stereo/dimension...then after.

speedyone likes this.
  6. arislaf

arislaf Member

Listen to the so called bad amps you mentioned and the sound of fractal and tell me the difference. It is there but is 1% or something.

None said that 3.0 will be launched on spring, but that 2.8 will be launched on spring. I don't know where you get these info, but are false. And sure not from line 6.
    Finally you and your friends sell the helix and go to fractal.
    Use what makes you happy.
    But please no more comments like these. We are sick already.

They did improved the amps, if you like go back to version 1.0 and record, and then come back to 2.71
    Now if you don't like the amps of the update, your problem. They are not obliged to make any update and give you free amps, but only bug fixes.

Your criticism is one of the same, offering nothing at all after all.

Phnurt, Robert B, tmuka and 1 other person like this.
  7. arislaf

arislaf Member

Man, don't kill me... But both are bad.

FlyingsCool and VCuomo like this.
  8. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Ouch! That did hurt a bit. :D

FlyingsCool and arislaf like this.
  9. Vildhjarta8

Vildhjarta8 Member

It's not released yet, much to the joy of my wallet and the sorrow of my guitars.

Whilst a lot of people cede amplifier modelling as being better in Fractal, I don't think scrible strips were the only advantage of the helix. I've been trawling forums for details about the FM3 and there have been numerous commenters saying they still think that the Helix systems have better UI and accessibility on the units. Similarly, helix effects across the board are fantastic.

I think the amp choices (fender/revv) is just the constant juggle of people's competing interests. There are a lot of effects being added into this update - i.e. the King Of Tone drive - that P&W musicians have been begging for for a very long time, which hold no interest to me.

But the timeline for releasing 2.80 hasn't involved it being delayed. Line 6 said at NAMM that 2.80 would release in spring, and it's still spring, so nothing is late (yet). Moreover, a lot of the development that has gone into 2.80 isn't new amps/effects but upgrading the underpinning code across all the different devices to Helix Core. Much like Fractal spent time developing their Ares modelling infrastructure which allows code to be more quickly implemented across multiple devices (like the FM3 and the Axe FXIII, despite having different chips), Line 6 has been open in saying that they've spent a lot of time developing the Core architecture so that future development time is reduced when implementing things for Native, HX stomp, HX effects, Floor, Rack and LT.

With all of that being said, I'm personally excited for what Line 6 releases this year and equally excited to get my hands on my FM3. I think it and the HX Stomp are going to be a lot of fun together.

10. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

anyone here running the Helix into a Fryette Power Station (or amp effects return), and then split out into a guitar cab for stage, and back into the Helix into a IR to send to FOH?

if so do you likely?

11. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

You don’t need to go “back into the helix”. Use the 1/4” out with no cab sim to your amp, and the XLR with cab to the FOH.

Aquinas likes this.
  12. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I meant more if I (or anyone else) would like the sound of the real tube power amp better than the full amp emulation alone. I havent tried it yet but will by the end of the week, and I can compare. The full amp sim into the power amp is fine, as is the preamp sim into the power amp into the real cab, but im wondering of the XLR to FOH would sound better with the tube power amp in the chain...

13. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

What *i* really like is the helix amp models into the effects return of an amp.

14. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

This is how I run my Helix...into the effects return of one of my many tube heads and guitar cabs, and xlr out to foh with a similar IR to my cab...works great for me, and a really simple setup and tear down. I can also just mic the cab if I feel the sound guy isn't going to do justice to the direct signal.

OverdriveLover likes this.
  15. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I think you'd have to hear it in a mix to have a real opinion on a tone like that.
    They always sound wierd on their own.
    But my guess is that the Helix will cut/sit better.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  16. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Sorry to say this but i dont think any of the "legacy" amps have been improved at all sonically.
    The newly added on the other hand seems to sound better than what was in the Helix from start.
    I did a roll back about 2 years ago after some dudes make a post on the big FB group
    He said "Is anybody else notice how good Helix sounds after the new update"?
    Ken Ingwersen (Guitarist in former Uriah Heep member Ken Hensley's band) laughed and answered something like this.
    "Thats what they always said in the Fractal forum after every update and it always sounded the same".
    Ken mowed from Fractal to Helix 3 years ago.
    So i had to prove it for myself and roll back to previouse firmware recorded a few chords with some of the amps like the Twin, Plexi,and some others i dont remember i did also use the amp/cab block and an amp block with an IR just to make sure
    I then updated to the new "sonically improved (oh the irony)" choosed the same amps make sure it had the same settings and recorded the same chords again
    And they sounded exactly the same sonically

hotrats73 and JohnnyAustin like this.
  17. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

And what makes you say that the “old” amps were “improved”? I don’t think Line 6 has ever pretended to improve existing amps except in a few very specific cases.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  18. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Spring for Line 6 is midsummer (c:a 20/6) for us Swedes so the new update will come to " Sill å Nubbe å små grodorna :) "

FlyingsCool likes this.
  19. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

I answer to this statement.
    "They did improved the amps, if you like go back to version 1.0 and record, and then come back to 2.71
    Now if you don't like the amps of the update, your problem. They are not obliged to make any update and give you free amps, but only bug fixes."
    Whos was an answer to this post.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-3100#post-28457523

And i NEVER said it was improved read the post plz i said the opposite.
    "Sorry to say this but i dont think any of the "legacy" amps have been improved at all sonically."

Oh and to answer this
    "I don’t think Line 6 has ever pretended to improve existing amps except in a few very specific cases."
    They dont do it at all atleast not sonically as it would make presets for users to sound different after an update and they dont want that to happened.
    They had make the default settings on the amp different after a recent update i think it was 2.7 or 2.6 however
    BUT they made sure it not gonna effect presets created with the old default settings

20. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Yeah - the placebo effect is strong. I do remember there was one update where it seemed to get easier to dial stuff but that was a long time ago (pre-Snapshots if I recall).