Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I think both global blocks and block presets could be done combined. Each block could get a new preset parameter, values would be none, 1, 2, 3 or 4 for 4 presets, this parameter dictates what block will do when loading the preset. If you put it on none it's how it works today, choose any of the presets and that's the setting that will be loaded. So, if you save a setting for the Placater on 1, every other preset that has that same block and has the preset parameter set on 1 will load the same setting.

tmuka, hotrats73 and RockManDan like this.
  2. Lephty

Lephty Member

I would think that some kind of system of "parent" and "child" presets could solve this problem, so that if you change something in a "parent" preset, all of its "child" presets would inherit the change.

Or perhaps the same could be done with individual blocks.

Aquinas and tmuka like this.
  3. ricstudioc

ricstudioc Member

First - thanks! Each one now is a minor victory.

Second - somewhere between "You're welcome" and "Sorry 'bout that". Shoulda known, of all people, you'd be the one! Quick note - going thru the manual I note that it's CC ability is more limited that first thought. On a per preset basis it can fire off a flurry of MIDI data, but the "keys" strictly send note data (mono/poly) and various pressure/position stuff. Not changing my mind in the least, but it's not a MIDI cuisinart. Just lettin' ya know...

4. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

Personally I'd prefer it if default settings and global settings were separate. Just because I want to start with a 408 ms delay time and 17% feedback doesn't mean that if I change those settings on this preset, every preset where I started w those same default values should change.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Anyone know how to get a crazy modulated reverb type of sound? Something like the Axe Fx multi delay, using the detune option. It would be similar to the particle verb or octo verb, but the pitch needs to go down instead of up...

6. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Have you tried the Plateaux reverb model? It can do pitch shifting in either direction.

7. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Plateaux is pretty cool!

8. veritechc

veritechc Member

I loved the damn thing so much I created a Facebook group for it. Just yesterday we topped 22,000 members.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

IN FOUR YEARS!!!

It's unprecedented in the modeling industry and really a first in general marketing and support.

This little box has changed my life! I play better than I ever have. I play more often because it's fun to play. It is really the first modeler that got out of my way and just let me make what I wanted (apparently that is 80's rock and general wanking, lol). I thank Line 6 with every note I play.

I mean look at my avatar. Now that is some Helix love!

Dude thank you! I LOVE the Archon but for me, I use it for hard rock. This is the best metal tone with it I have heard!!!

Hush, rubytopaz, Phnurt and 2 others like this.
  9. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

Regarding the whole "global blocks" discussion, it would be nice to have a new block category for "User" that would allow you to copy any current block into, adjust parameters as desired and save with a user defined name. These could be copied into a preset by selecting them from the "User" category.

To handle the "global parameters" aspect of the blocks, an option could be provided when the block is added to a preset that indicates whether the parameters for the User block are "pinned" or "locked" to the User block that was inserted in the preset. If an instance is pinned/locked to the User block then you would have to go to the saved User block (not the preset) to change parameters and any change would affect all pinned/locked occurrences of the User block. If the block is not pinned/locked, then you would be free to change the parameters in the preset and any change would only affect the preset being edited.

This would provide the ability for users to setup blocks with their own personal defaults and also allow the block parameters to be global edited (or not).

If you want to take this one step further, you could allow users to pin/lock individual parameters. For example, if I have a User block for a delay, when I added the block to a preset I could pin/lock all parameters except the delay time which I could unpin/unlock in the preset so that its value is saved with the preset and not affected when the User block is changed.

There's value in keeping things simple, so while this doesn't seem overly complex (and would only affect users creating/using User blocks), it would make the interface more complicated. Just a thought.

tmuka and zematynnad like this.
  10. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

I try not to. :p

11. zematynnad

zematynnad Member

I'll give you a for instance that just happened this weekend. I've always used dual stock cabs but after reading some of the discussion in another thread decided I would try some of the IRs I had previously purchased. I found a pleasing IR and decided I would try it this weekend for the songs we were doing - just to compare. This was only for presets that used one particular amp model. I only updated a handful of presets (those we were using this weekend) out of probably 60 or so that use this amp model.

Like most people I have need for different amounts of drive within the same preset (say for the chorus or bridge). Using this particular IR I noticed something I didn't expect - the amount of drive was more pronounced than it was with the stock cabs I was previously using. So, I had to go into each preset and adjust the amount of drive and corresponding channel volume for each preset using the IR. Again, I only did this for a handful of presets that we were using this weekend. But if I decide to stay with this amp/IR combo I'll need to do this for a lot of presets. It would be way easier, and less error prone, if I had some setting that represented my clean parameters, my edge of breakup parameters, my crunch parameters, and my lead parameters. Adjust one place and all of them are adjusted.

I do think being able to set defaults for a block has value but it doesn't address this issue at all. I don't know if some type of global block vs local block distinction is the right solution or if some type of preset wthin the block would is correct or perhaps a different solution altogher would be better.

We all seem to have very different ways that we use the Helix, but for me this is something that comes up all the time and I wish I had a good way to address it. Having a bunch of presets that serve as templates doesn't work (IMHO) because pasting a block from a template into your current preset doesn't account for things like the snapshots in that preset.

JohnnyAustin likes this.
  12. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

what is the likelihood that eventually l6 will enable us to have seperate preamp and power amp blocks? I love the way, on a tube amp with an fx loop, the fx are ever so slightly colored by the power amp compression/distortion. Would be cool to be able to put delays and things before the final power amp simulation in an amp model, which is a huge part of the tone, esp on models like the placater and lone star. Plus, being able to mix and match preamps and poweramps would be sweet, same way you can go preamp, amp + cab, or just amp. I feel like it wouldn't be THAT difficult since the algorithms are already there? but maybe its not that simple as the controls for the power amp sections of the models are more baked in to the whole model than I'm assuming?

met0d likes this.
  13. burningyen

burningyen Member

Another reason to do it is so you can mix and match preamps and power amps for "boutique" hybrids.

14. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Will the upcoming Helix update include a 'Block Library' like in Axe Edit for fractal units???

You can store all your favorite blocks in there.....I use this all the time to quickly load my favorite dialed in amp/cab/effect blocks.

aruark1 and veritechc like this.
  15. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I'm talking about using preset as a mean to have global blocks feature.

Being a live player "global blocks" is what I'd like to see implemented because right now every change you need to make on the same block on all presets (imagine the eq settings of your amp model or the level of your solo boost you share on every preset of your setlist) has to be done on every single preset manually.This is something you can do at home (but is tedious) but you definitely can't do live before or during a gig.

tmuka likes this.
  16. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Yeah sorry. I switched topics. Your post reminded me of many people’s requests to have “block presets” somehow.

Sorry for the confusion.

hotrats73 likes this.
  17. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

I get it... People love the Badonk and for a reason. This amp is very special!

Phnurt, Intimo, Fireproof and 2 others like this.
  18. Rayf

Rayf Member

That's a great idea. Right now I have a set list of reference amps that I spent over a year getting just right. I have to go here, copy the amp block and paste it into a new preset on another set list. Having them all tagged into a favorite set of blocks would make things a little easier.

19. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

A session player friend of mine sets up banks in his HX Effects by category. Mods, vintage delays, Fuzz, OD etc...then he does copy/paste into his working preset.

I do that plus I also have a couple of default “pedal boards” and then just sub out the amp/Cab or IR.

It is more difficult on the HX Stomp. This will get easier with 2.8.

FlyingsCool and veritechc like this.
  20. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Question:

So, theoretically, (or hopefully literally), if I run all my effects in mono, both XLR outputs should have the same exact signal, yes?

I’m thinking about running 1 XLR out to my IEM system, separately from the board.

tmuka likes this.