Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Jecswp

Jecswp Member

I try to peek in to this thread and I haven't seen this mentioned. If I've missed it, please excuse me. Could I use Helix for the preamp, to a DT head for the tube power amp flavor, out to a load, then line out to a powercab for the speaker simulation? Am I wrong to think that the benefits of the DT power section would be negated by having to go line in to the powercab? Are the DT amps and powercabs two streams that shouldn't cross?

2. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure I concur with that statement. In my experience a well-designed wooden box has a much higher Q (less mechanical resonance) than molded plastic. Last Saturday I played an evening behind a QSC K12 FOH system. Mid-band radiation from the cabinet was obvious and extremely annoying.

3. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

Totally doable but I think the main question will be if the power amp and load box actually provide enough of a benefit vs just running a full amp model in Helix out to a Powercab.

The Killing Joke and tmuka like this.
  4. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

That seems like a lot of squeeze for not much extra juice, imo... I mean, you could try it, but, like you said, you'd need a load for the DT25. You could run the DT25's line out into the Powercab - that's tapped off the DT25's output transformer - but you'd still need to use the DT25's speaker in that case.

With the upcoming L6 Link upgrade in the 2.8 update, you'd be able to control both the PC+ and the DT25 from the Helix. You could run them a discrete stereo rig if you wanted.

DaveDaveDave and veritechc like this.
  5. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That's what I've been planning to try (CLR + DT25 combo) since I heard about the L6 Link feature coming in Helix v2.8. :aok

MIJLOVER likes this.
  6. veritechc

veritechc Member

I have both a DT50 2X12 and a Powercab Plus. The truth is that while the DT50 can get loud enough to end all creation that with my Helix in the loop I can tweak a tone to sound outstanding on both. If you want sustain put that Powercab on the 45-degree stand and fire it right into your guitar. The Powercab also doesn't weigh as much as a neutron star either.

7. arislaf

arislaf Member

Just recieved a nice variax survey. My hopes got up

8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Not to mention keeping loading times per patch down. Every piece of information that has to get passed makes the lag just thaaaaat much longer. So if every block in every patch is carrying more 'this-or'that' info, lag times will tend to get worse.

9. guitarno

guitarno Member

Me too. I Just submitted mine. I am hoping that a new and improved version is coming some day. Not that the current ones are bad, I Had a JTV-59 and there were some very cool usable features on it. There were a few snags here and there, like anything else, and I often wish I still had it. I'm looking forward to seeing what revisions to the Variax they come out with if and when they release the next version.

Johnny Ninefingers and veritechc like this.
  10. arislaf

arislaf Member

mate did it happened that you tried my realistic bundle on jtv???

11. guitarno

guitarno Member

Hi Arislaf.

I think I sold my JTV before you came out with that bundle. I'll definitely check them out if I get another Variax.

arislaf likes this.
  12. ricstudioc

ricstudioc Member

I have - think quite well of them, you done good!

On the one hand, as noted before I'm kinda/sorta retired from live work, so don't know that I'd be interested in a whole new guitar. Other hand - if L6 made new Variax components with an eye toward retrofitability into existing axes I'd almost certainly refit at least one of mine.

13. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Thank you sir! I have another question though, I noticed that the last effect in my chain is a legacy reverb, so it doesn't come under the mono or stereo menu, it's under "legacy".

Can I assume that it's a mono effect, if it doesn't have any kind of a pan control?

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Legacy verbs are stereo.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  15. jamsden

jamsden Member

Perhaps a linking approach could be used. A patch could have a parameter that is a link to another patch that it “inherits from”. Then anything you do to that patch overrides the inherited parts. Of course some other patch could link to this modified patch to create an inheritance chain of commonly used settings. Changing anything in the linked to patch is inherited on load by any patch that links to it and that it doesn’t override.

16. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Guys, stop. Let line 6 do what they think is right. If they need help, they’ll let you know.

Play your guitar instead of DSP software designer.

Robert B likes this.
  17. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

SIMPLE

18. RandoMan

RandoMan Member

Except in that sentence!

FlyingsCool likes this.
  19. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

So i hit a hot button topic with my questions earlier about speaker vs direct and boy is it a touchy subject. I didnt know how hotbit was. There are literally hundreds of different posts about what I was talking about and it has started riots on this forum in the past. Im reffering to a tone like Slash's solo on "estranged" and that kind of interaction that has been called different things and speculated to be defined as different terms such as b#oom, @mp n rūm, hönting mibs, and other very touchy terms. My apologies because I dont want that kind of thing to ruin this most excellent board. Ill let myself out now and come back after i either come up with a recording of my solution or when the 2.8 update is released.
    My bad yo

20. odourboy

odourboy Member

Ah! Object-oriented patching. Love It!