Line6 Helix

MojoRisin

2 questions, not 2.8 related:

1. Is is safe to turn on and off the HX Stomp via the Furman? I mean, to keep the on/off switch always ON on the Stomp, and turn on/off the Furman where the power of the Stomp is plugged?
  2. Why? Why, I don’t have the option to decide the Output routing on HX stomp directly in the output block? I can’t decide to route the whole signal directly to send (example) without adding a signal block before the last one
  1. Absolutely. It's no different than if it were connected into a pedalboard power supply that is switched off externally or by pulling the plug. People do it all the time.
  2. No idea.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
They don't but they should. On the plus side, the settings don't reset when you flip between IR's so it's not as critical. But I've been using 80/8k as a starting point and it's typically pretty good. I do tend to creep the low cut closer to 50-60 as Helix doesn't have the same low end thump as other brands IMO.
With IR, I listen first and cut later.
Properly done, you shouldn’t need much high cutting if any. They’re all different

Low cut...Ownhammer tends to leave a lot of ‘extra’ low end. So that is generally needed to taste.

Holdsworthy

That new Herald speaker model is great, very focused. I can see that one getting some decent usage. Programming these models into the presets is sweet.

GtrWiz

there's no way he would know that engineers would typically high cut at 8k.

I don't personally know an engineer that would... I've never heard of cutting guitars below 12k until I started reading modeling threads. Cutting to 8k is on the extreme end. IMO.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
I don't personally know an engineer that would... I've never heard of cutting guitars below 12k until I started reading modeling threads. Cutting to 8k is on the extreme end. IMO.

It is a first-order filter (6db/octave), which is far shallower than what most engineers would use if applying a low pass. Also, I've seen plenty of cases where a cut that drastic was done, especially on SSL's with their shallow LPF!

That being said, yes, with the usual steep filter (12-24db/oct) 8k would be pretty extreme. Shelf filters are actually more common IME for that sort of shaping, in any case...

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
Seems to be my day for dead horse beating...

Can someone explain to me why all these IR producers go out of their way to make the best sounding impulses they can, and we still have to cut highs and lows?

ChuckR

2 questions, not 2.8 related:

1. Is is safe to turn on and off the HX Stomp via the Furman? I mean, to keep the on/off switch always ON on the Stomp, and turn on/off the Furman where the power of the Stomp is plugged?
  2. Why? Why, I don’t have the option to decide the Output routing on HX stomp directly in the output block? I can’t decide to route the whole signal directly to send (example) without adding a signal block before the last one

I do this with my Floor. I have an RF remote switch that I use to power on my Floor and my powered speakers. Been working like this for a couple of years now.

I must admit I've been away from my Helix Native for some time. But I updated it and combined it with the new MIKKO cab-sim plugin.

Holy cow.

I really dig the Placater (I know - older firmware - but stil ...) and the new Revv model. And over all it seems to me the newer amp models from around firmware 2.5 and up is much better sounding than the older ones.

I made some a/b comparisons between the Friedman HB-models in Helix and in my Axe III - going through the MIKKO. They are so close to each other IMO. I used both the Axe III with shunts and the instrument input on my Presonus Quantum for the input to Helix. Both working equally fine.

And I am once again moving closer to my ideal of having it all inside my computer. :)

Line 6 - if you model the Friedmann Smallbox - like the one in the Axe III - I will give any of you long wet kisses at any given day. :p

Bob Womack

Seems to be my day for dead horse beating...
Can someone explain to me why all these IR producers go out of their way to make the best sounding impulses they can, and we still have to cut highs and lows?
Because there might just be a wacko creative person out there who would want to use all those insect-attracting overtones that no-one else wants. I mean, who could have predicted the hash that Nine-Inch Nails used?

Bob

Robert B

Has anybody seen this? Said it was published this week. Anyway....love it.

This video and the other video with Ben are very good.
Due to the incredible advances in the sonic capabilities with the HX platform, we can see that a Variax HX should be within reach in a way to have many of us be willing to trim down some of the guitars that we own (hopefully soon).

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
Because there might just be a wacko creative person out there who would want to use all those insect-attracting overtones that no-one else wants. I mean, who could have predicted the hash that Nine-Inch Nails used?

Bob
Though I think your probably joking, I'll play along for a sec as if you're not :)

I could see including a folder of intentionally bent stuff, but create and identified as that. The meat and potatoes stuff should sound good when you plug it in, and the bent stuff should make you go "wow, never heard that before, wonder how they did that".

Bob Womack

Though I think your probably joking, I'll play along for a sec as if you're not :)

I could see including a folder of intentionally bent stuff, but create and identified as that. The meat and potatoes stuff should sound good when you plug it in, and the bent stuff should make you go "wow, never heard that before, wonder how they did that".
And that's why they decided to add the roll-offs at 80 and 8k!

Bob

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
Sweeeeet and we need pics of this road worn battle tested machine man.

HelixScratches.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom