Line6 Helix

truckin

Supporting Member
Even though I (regrettably at times) sold my Helix, If the Line 6 Helix team were about it, I'd be willing to send my Jim Kelley Reverb in to be modeled. That would be a killer amp to have in a digital format. Hell, let's start seeking out vintage rare amps and have them sent in.. LOL. Sorry, I know ya'll are busy enough.

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
Even though I (regrettably at times) sold my Helix, If the Line 6 Helix team were about it, I'd be willing to send my Jim Kelley Reverb in to be modeled. That would be a killer amp to have in a digital format. Hell, let's start seeking out vintage rare amps and have them sent in.. LOL. Sorry, I know ya'll are busy enough.
Not to be a pot stirrer, but you should page @benadrian about that :)

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I don't personally know an engineer that would... I've never heard of cutting guitars below 12k until I started reading modeling threads. Cutting to 8k is on the extreme end. IMO.
jje7oiP.gif

This is a graph of the Celestion G12-65 (a typical guitar speaker). Do you think there is much energy at 12k? It's down about 30db from the nominal curve. I've cut down to 8k and 80 as a matter of normal practice for guitars. I'm not alone...

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
jje7oiP.gif

This is a graph of the Celestion G12-65 (a typical guitar speaker). Do you think there is much energy at 12k? It's down about 30db from the nominal curve. I've cut down to 8k and 80 as a matter of normal practice for guitars. I'm not alone...
So you're saying an IR of that speaker should be down "about 30db from the nominal curve" at 12k if it reflects the actual response of the speaker, right?

Are you then saying you apply those cuts because typical commercial IRs don't reflect that response accurately?
Or because even that band-limited response isn't limited enough to be what we want to hear?

bsd512

EDIT: Whoops - Nevermind (I think). I see a 1.0.7 driver was released (non-beta) on 7/18. I'm thinking I probably need that one. :) I've been running the beta all this time ...

Firmware 2.8 issue ... I'm probably doing something wrong, but here goes ...

After updating to 2.8 on a Mac - Mojave 10.14.5, the Line 6-specific Helix audio driver stopped working for me.

I'm talking about the driver you get when you go to the Line 6 downloads page, select the "Beta" checkbox, hardware=Helix, software=Any, os=Mac OS X. (Why is that still beta?).

Without that driver, I think you get Apple's system default driver. The problem with Apple's driver is that it has no output controls, i.e., you can't change the output volume using the system volume controls like the keyboard shortcuts for raising and lowering the volume. You have to do it with each application's individual volume settings. For example, bring up QT player to play an MP3 - and it comes out full blast, and the keyboard volume settings don't work. You have to go to the QT player window and bring its volume down. Same with Youtube, etc, etc.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I the only one using the Line 6-specific Helix audio driver?

Otherwise, I love the update, it's awesome, thank you!

Last edited:

Dan Desy

Gold Supporting Member
Firmware 2.8 issue ... I'm probably doing something wrong, but here goes ...

After updating to 2.8 on a Mac - Mojave 10.14.5, the Line 6-specific Helix audio driver stopped working for me.

I'm talking about the driver you get when you go to the Line 6 downloads page, select the "Beta" checkbox, hardware=Helix, software=Any, os=Mac OS X. (Why is that still beta?).

Without that driver, I think you get Apple's system default driver. The problem with Apple's driver is that it has no output controls, i.e., you can't change the output volume using the system volume controls like the keyboard shortcuts for raising and lowering the volume. You have to do it with each application's individual volume settings. For example, bring up QT player to play an MP3 - and it comes out full blast, and the keyboard volume settings don't work. You have to go to the QT player window and bring its volume down. Same with Youtube, etc, etc.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I the only one using the Line 6-specific Helix audio driver?

Otherwise, I love the update, it's awesome, thank you!
Isn’t there a new version of the Mac driver?
I don’t use it, but I thought I saw one.

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
So you're saying an IR of that speaker should be down "about 30db from the nominal curve" at 12k if it reflects the actual response of the speaker, right?

Are you then saying you apply those cuts because typical commercial IRs don't reflect that response accurately?
Or because even that band-limited response isn't limited enough to be what we want to hear?
The acoustic energy below 80hz and above 12khz is mainly rumble or noise. Filtering it out won't affect the tone of the guitar, but will make get rid of extraneous, unwanted frequencies. As you get lower than 12k or higher than 80, the tone will start to be affected.

the tourist

This is probably a dumb question.

But here goes:

When recording and using USB7 for dry guitar (for reamping), the signal in my DAW is very low. It makes it hard to make any edits because it’s hard to see where transients are.

Is there any way to raise the volume of USB7 only when recording?

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
This is probably a dumb question.

But here goes:

When recording and using USB7 for dry guitar (for reamping), the signal in my DAW is very low. It makes it hard to make any edits because it’s hard to see where transients are.

Is there any way to raise the volume of USB7 only when recording?

The signal should be pretty low. If you have low output pickups, it can be very low. This is what you want to feed into Native or really any amp modeling plugin. It will keep your gain staging correct.

Pretty much all DAWs let you zoom in and out of the waveforms. So you have to be zoomed in when making edits to these tracks.

the tourist

The signal should be pretty low. If you have low output pickups, it can be very low. This is what you want to feed into Native or really any amp modeling plugin. It will keep your gain staging correct.

Pretty much all DAWs let you zoom in and out of the waveforms. So you have to be zoomed in when making edits to these tracks.

Yeah, I have low output single coils, so it’s difficult even when zoomed. I’ve been getting around it by plugging straight into my UAD Apollo Twin Quad and tracking dry. Typically I will have the preamp around 20-25dB on that, which seems perfect. But tracking that way kinda takes me out of the song because it doesn’t feel right.

I was hoping there was some preamp I was just missing somewhere within the Helix, or some folder within my DAW (Logic) that would allow me to automatically apply a preamp to the waveform.

I suppose I could manually raise that per section of a track, but that’s all just more hassle.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I have low output single coils, so it’s difficult even when zoomed. I’ve been getting around it by plugging straight into my UAD Apollo Twin Quad and tracking dry. Typically I will have the preamp around 20-25dB on that, which seems perfect. But tracking that way kinda takes me out of the song because it doesn’t feel right.

I was hoping there was some preamp I was just missing somewhere within the Helix, or some folder within my DAW (Logic) that would allow me to automatically apply a preamp to the waveform.

I suppose I could manually raise that per section of a track, but that’s all just more hassle.

What DAW are you using?

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
The acoustic energy below 80hz and above 12khz is mainly rumble or noise. Filtering it out won't affect the tone of the guitar, but will make get rid of extraneous, unwanted frequencies. As you get lower than 12k or higher than 80, the tone will start to be affected.

I strongly disagree.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
A question for powercab users or @Digital Igloo

Is there a way to monitor the XLR outs (I'm thinking about speaker, mic position, etc) through the powercab itself in FRFR mode?

A fast shortcut that mirrors the XLR outs to the cab itself while putting it FRFR mode would be handy for programming presets with the cab simulations for live use, without the need to hook to a pair of monitor.

If not possible, well I'm suggest a feature :) and I don't even own a powercab. Can we call it love? LOL

Top Bottom