Line6 Helix

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
How is your signal set up with the PC and the L2T?

I run straight into the PC+ with the L6 Link and take the Line out of the PC+ which adds the mic model to the FOH. From the board I feed that signal back into my Stagesource L2t to hear the FOH tone and try to blend the levels of the PC+ and L2t if I stand in between them. I also use the L2t as my vocal /stage monitor and some of the other band members signals mixed in as well. Mostly vocals and acoustic guitar from the other guitarist.

Lt_Core

Is it worth loading the 2.8 factory presets? Thanks!

4. Loading the 2.80 Factory Presets / Templates
IMPORTANT! The following procedure will COMPLETELY ERASE ALL OF YOUR CUSTOM PRESETS! If you want to keep them, make sure you back them up First! (See “STEP 1a :Backing Up Helix /HX Hardware” above.)

1. Turn off your Helix / HX processor.
  2. Depending on your type of Helix / HX product, follow the procedure below:
Helix Floor / LT - While holding footswitches 7 and 8 (two left-most switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix / Helix LT. Wait for “Will restore stock Presets and Setlists…” and let go

Dave Merrill

Silver Supporting Member
I run straight into the PC+ with the L6 Link and take the Line out of the PC+ which adds the mic model to the FOH. From the board I feed that signal back into my Stagesource L2t to hear the FOH tone and try to blend the levels of the PC+ and L2t if I stand in between them. I also use the L2t as my vocal /stage monitor and some of the other band members signals mixed in as well. Mostly vocals and acoustic guitar from the other guitarist.
Hah! I feel vindicated, and on @Aquinas's behalf too :)

We've been getting pooh-poohed elsewhere at the notion that it'd be good to be able to hear to Powercab mic model that's going to FOH. We were wondering if there was a way to do that directly through the Powercab itself, but it seems no.

rubytopaz

Gold Supporting Member
First...does anybody know of an aftermarket (or where I can get an actual line 6) power supply for HX Stomp?
The power supply that came with it is wired into my pedalboard. In order to update to 2.80, I need to bring it over to my computer
(don't have a laptop...I know...go figure).
I have a spare AC cable at the computer for Helix, but not HX Stomp.
I want to update everything at the same time, so I have yet to experience the 2.80 goodness.
Second...regarding all this shelving cut discussion...
Here's my two cents...FWIW.
I don't use cuts in Helix. I find the mic and cab combination that sounds the best to me (usually two different 4x12 cabs with a ribbon mic...for low end...on one and a condenser or dynamic on the other...for focus and clarity), program it till it sounds great...done.
My rig gives me the sound I want.
When I'm mixing a recording, I do what I have always done with a mic'd cabinet.
I cut a bit at 15k to 16k...boost quite a bit at 1.6k...boost a bit at 220hz and, sometimes, hpf at 80, if it's getting in the way of the kick and bass.
That's it. Works for me. YMMV

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member

Gtr-for-hire

Well, now my problem is that the NEW Edit doesn’t see my Helix. Checked version on the “About” tab to confirm that I’m opening Edit 2.8, update to the actual floor unit was successful, and Ableton is “seeing” the Helix, but the new Edit just keeps telling me “No device connected”. Tried reinstalling the new version of Edit as well.

Going to restart the computer now and try again

Restarting didn’t help

Holdsworthy

So I had the LT and PC+ down at the sister's where I got to crank it up. Interesting thing was, the background hum was noticeably reduced. I thought it was maybe bc of the 2.8 update or a bad setting. But I get back home, and plug in, and it's noisy again.

Is it possible my sister's power is cleaner than mine? Would one of those Furman power conditioners ($33 at Amazon) help clean up my dirty power and thus reduce the noise level?

2.8 bug question:

Is the inability to retain "Amp+Cab" amp settings when switching to "Amp" only within the same preset a bug or an intended feature?

We were able to do this in 2.71, and as a PowerCab+ user I use it a lot.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
2.8 bug question:

Is the inability to retain amp+cab amp settings when switching to amp only within the same preset a bug or an intended feature?

We were able to do this in 2.71, and as a PowerCab+ user I use it a lot.

Hmm... I don't think that was ever a thing. I'm a Powercab+ user as well, and there were a lot time I would have liked it, though.

truckin

Supporting Member
Even though I (regrettably at times) sold my Helix, If the Line 6 Helix team were about it, I'd be willing to send my Jim Kelley Reverb in to be modeled. That would be a killer amp to have in a digital format. Hell, let's start seeking out vintage rare amps and have them sent in.. LOL. Sorry, I know ya'll are busy enough.
Just going to bump this one time to see if it gets any traction, if not I'll go away. I was serious about being willing to part with it for a few months (I don't bring it up to school with me anyways). Only caveat is I'm on the other side of the states on the east coast so it might be a little difficult shipping it out there (also might be worth contacting Jim directly as he's on the west coast and is very active on here, I'm sure he'd at least hear you out). It would bring a cool, new model which would be entirely unique to the Helix and would give Jim's name some more recognition and notoriety.

If you haven't heard of a Kelley before, I'd definitely recommend doing some research on it. To give you an idea, as far as clean tones go, Mark Knopfler used a Jim Kelley FACS on Brothers in Arms. I'd describe the overdriven sound as a Bassman meets later Marshall derivatives all depending on how you set the tone controls. Think roughly of a far more aggressive Litigator model. This video does a great job showcasing what I'm talking about.

I'm really excited to see that some boutique amp manufacturers are working with these modeling companies now to give their creations a wider audience. Here's to hoping that we'll start seeing models of amps such as Komet, Two Rock, Dumble etc included in future updates.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
The best feature of the Powercab is that it doesn't sound like studio monitors or PA speakers.
I go back and forth between my studio monitors and Powercab and am learning to recognize what 'works'.
I do have a little rehearsal PA (Behinger) and have tested my Helix presets through it mainly to doublecheck for too much low end.

You best bet....
Set up at a venue with a PA.
Plug the PC+ in at the console so you can hear it in the room.
You'll want to find a good safe choice for mic/distance.

Through my studio monitors, the fixed 57 seemed a little 'boring' but that is probably good for a gig.

+1

Am I the only one who tunes their stage and FOH at each gig so they’re fairly similar? Takes a few minutes tops and that way any changes I make mid-gig are mirrored. Normally I get my stage sound and then just walk into the room and see how the PA and stage sound match up. Quick tweaks on my pa channel is usually all it takes. Keep in mind I don’t play big venues so typically the audience hears a blend of stage and FOH.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom