Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by moonblack, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Great performance from our guys Jeff Schroeder and Billy Corgan: get out and see them!

Rayf, Starquasi, mikah912 and 5 others like this.
  2. sleewell

sleewell Member

I'm about a year in and really loving the LT. I use it in 4cm with my 5153 half stack. I use the archon amp sim for cleans as a work around for the vol jump to the blue channel which is my main dirt sound. When going from clean to dirty it changes reverb types, adds a boost and noise gate and engages an eq out front and after amp. Don't use a ton of effects but I have trem, chorus, fuzz, extra reverb and delay assigned to the rest of the switches.

Not going as deep with the unit as possible but it works for me and I love it. Only beef would be better fuzz but it's better in a band mix than playing alone so it's not enough for me to add an external pedal.

I used colored electrical tape on my cables, helix and amp so it's very easy to setup. I also split the end of my chain so that I can send a direct xlr to the board if necessary.

cabojoe likes this.
  3. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Cool and intuitive review, can't wait to see Chris Buck playing through the Helix and Powercabs here in the dark side :cool:.......Just an amazing guitar player!

mmmaslowski and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  4. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

That was very cool.

Non-Helix question: what brand is the Starcaster-looking guitar?

(I'm going to be super-embarrassed if its a Starcaster)

5. vypole

vypole Member

6. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

This is very very good. I put it in front of a Grammatico and, despite the lack of a Rickenbacher, I immediately heard Peter Buck's arpeggios on R.E.M.'s Drive.

7. Pezza

Pezza Member

I may be imagining it but I feel that when changing snapshots with 2.8 and 2.81 there is a slight drop out/delay which I did not notice in 2.7. I'm particularly noticing it with a fairly complex patch changing parameters on the Cosmos delay. It also seems that the delays have become louder in some way compared to 2.7. I felt that I could change snapshots in 2.7 quite seamlessly.

Has anyone else noticed this? Would rebuilding the patch make any difference?

8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

You should also try the Legacy Blue Comp Treble.
    A friend of mine uses it to knock off the Janglebox.
    Different thing but can have similar uses

arislaf and chrisjw5 like this.
  9. Pezza

Pezza Member

I have identified the problem. Changing Guitar In-Z (input inpedance) per snapshot is causing a lag which didn't happen before. The lag happens even if the impedance value doesn't change but has the parameter square bracketed. I have reported it as a bug. A similar thing has been reported when changing IRs per snapshot.

10. rubytopaz

rubytopaz Silver Supporting Member

I agree with everything you said (video, playing, etc)...mostly.
    I would NEVER go back to an amp/board or amp/board/rack system again...EVER.
    I do not miss hunting down a bad cord...or a ground loop...or a pedal on the fritz...or a broken or unplugged power adapter or a bad tube.
    I don't miss being at the complete mercy of a bad soundman...we can't totally eliminate that problem, but with Helix, a great sounding patch and going directly into FOH, we can minimize any potential problems.
    Yes...my rig has grown (as it ALWAYS does), but it's not even close to rigs I've had...with refrigerator sizes racks, two tier pedalboards with sidecars AND PK-5 MIDI pedal (think Taurus Pedal running a synth).
    I started getting away from that with Vetta. It started with a 2x12 Vetta combo, with a 2x12 extension cabinet, and a Fender SFX keyboard amp (for synth and wet/dry).
    That grew to a giant rig with a 300 watt Vetta head, two 4x12 closed back and two 2x12 opened back cabs, two giant pedalboard with tons of pedals AND a rack system (synths, mixer and wet signal from Vetta) feeding two powered PA cabinets.
    The rig I have, although big by most standards, is not even close to what I had in the past.
    I only have two pedals going into the send/return of Helix...a vocoder (which will be removed as soon as one becomes available in a firmware update)
    and a Dr Robert pedal...that's it. No hunting down bad cords.
    Also, my rig is modular. If I had to, I could take my Helix (or my spare Helix) and a power cab...or L2t...or two. I could grab one of my GR-55s and my spare GP-10 or HX Stomp to go with Helix and cover a great deal of what I need (which is a lot for a three piece covering originals that have a lot going on). Painless.
    So, yes. One can replace an amp and board setup in a touring, gigging or recording situation and get consistantly great tone night after night. I don't have to warm up the tubes, etc.
    It sounds great every time, with minimal setup (for most sane people who don't keep adding gear :))

11. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I understand how to set with heel down, but this process doesn't seem to work as I would like. I would want toe down to disengage the WAH. I don't want to reverse the sweep, just turn off the wah with toe down.

12. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

In order to use the Auto-Engage feature where you turn off the wah with the pedal in toe down position, the best way (dare I say, the correct way) is to go in the Global Settings menu and set the polarity for the EXP you're using to Invert. Then you'll need to reverse the min and max values so the pedal still works like a normal wah. You have to use the Invert setting so the Wait parameter for the Auto-Engage works correctly. By default, it's set up so that it assume the pedal will be off in the heel down position. So when you decrease the pedal position percentage past the toggle point, it triggers the wait. If you use it with toe down in off position without inverting the polarity, the Wait parameter will mess things up.

DeSelby likes this.
  13. PearlyGates

PearlyGates Member

Milan is Hot as hell! :mad:
    Guitar:
    Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe Modded.(S.D. Quarter Pound pickups set)
    Helix Amp: Placater (Left rhythm guitar ) 3Sigma IR Cab: Morgan 2x12"
    Helix Amp: Fulltone jumped (right rhythm guitar and lead ) 3Sigma IR Cab: Fender 65 twin 2x12"
    Helix effect: Deranged Master and Vetta Comp (on Fulltone lead guitar)

14. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

@phil_m Thanks, I think that makes more sense. My Mission L6 pedal might be on fritz and I'm trying to see if I can get by without having to get a new one. What's happening is in the toe up position, the Helix is getting on/off signals from the expression pedal, so it's engaging intermittently.

15. The Trout

The Trout Member

Frank Ritchotte , Digital Igloo , pleaaaase

DeSelby, vtgearhead and burningyen like this.
  16. The Trout

The Trout Member

17. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I’d never read through the whole list on that site before. Sheesh! It’s amazing anything gets done with all the random stuff people come up with. I did vote this one up because I’d like to see the collaboration. Although I highly doubt it will happen due to the way IRs are implemented on Helix and the aforementioned pirating concerns.

burningyen likes this.
  18. pezib

pezib Member

19. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Actually, as I understand it, the Line 6 Marketplace includes infrastructure for copy protected third-party IRs, that was one of the big points of it.

Not that being copy protected by anything (including the (in)famous iLok system) is a guarantee against piracy if the incentive is big enough.

MojoRisin likes this.