• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Line6 Helix

rd2rk

When connecting to my audio interface via the Helix's xlr outs, do I set them to line or mic level?
If you're going into a MIC level Input, set it to MIC. Likewise, for a LINE level Input, set it to LINE. You'll want the output you're using to be at UNITY, so set the BIG KNOB to the other outputs - if you're using XLR to the interface, set the knob to control 1/4".

ledvedder

If you're going into a MIC level Input, set it to MIC. Likewise, for a LINE level Input, set it to LINE. You'll want the output you're using to be at UNITY, so set the BIG KNOB to the other outputs - if you're using XLR to the interface, set the knob to control 1/4".
I'm guessing that I'd set the xlr outputs on the Helix to mic, based on this line from my interface's manual? "Note the Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect
a jack plug."

Can you explain more about unity? Do you mean set the big knob to not control the xlr outputs?

rd2rk

I'm guessing that I'd set the xlr outputs on the Helix to mic, based on this line from my interface's manual? "Note the Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect
a jack plug."

Can you explain more about unity? Do you mean set the big knob to not control the xlr outputs?
That would be correct.

UNITY GAIN means the level in = the level out. By setting the BIG KNOB to control the 1/4" out you get a consistent signal to the interface, control the input to the interface with the interface's input level control, and can use the BIG KNOB to control the level to whatever you're using to direct monitor the Helix while recording (amp, FRFR). The MIX (output?) knob on the interface can then be left full right to hear the signal back from the DAW, so you can hear previously recorded tracks to play over. Don't forget to turn OFF the TRACK MONITOR switch on the Helix track or you'll get a delayed echo of what you're recording from the Helix.

Can anyone help me figure out what the deal is with my Helix's volume pedal?

On patches with a volume pedal, backing off the pedal does NOT reduce the volume to zero; sound still comes through, roughly equivalent to 20% or so on the guitar's volume knob.

On the pedal settings, the minimum volume is set to zero, so I don't understand why it's doing this. I tried looking on the global settings for pedals, but no luck.

Note that it only works on the EXP2 setting. Setting it to EXP1, the pedal does does nothing at all.

Brandon7s

On patches with a volume pedal, backing off the pedal does NOT reduce the volume to zero; sound still comes through, roughly equivalent to 20% or so on the guitar's volume knob.

On the pedal settings, the minimum volume is set to zero, so I don't understand why it's doing this. I tried looking on the global settings for pedals, but no luck.

Note that it only works on the EXP2 setting. Setting it to EXP1, the pedal does does nothing at all.
Post a screenshot of your patch and we might be able to let you know what is going on with that.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

Are you on current firmware, first of all? I know in one of the first 2.8s there was a bug affecting EXP function.

Assuming you are on the latest firmware and settings are correct, it sounds like maybe a hardware issue to me. Mine is currently being repaired due to it reading 100% at only about 2/3 of its full motion to toe down. I would personally go ahead and file a support ticket. They’re always helpful but it usually takes them a full business day to respond with troubleshooting, then you do it and wait another day again.

phil_m

Silver Supporting Member

Double-check the input block on all the paths in your preset. I've seen it happen more than once where someone had the input for Path 2 set to Multi, and in that case, if you only have the Volume block in Path 1, it won't affect the signal in Path 2.

mikah912

Got my hands on @fremen's new Djent & Prog Metal pack, and I've been having a blast with it. I don't really own any 7 or 8-string guitars, but I dabble with downtuned sixes, and this perfect. Recorded super chuggy 000000-type clip that also showcases some of the cleans in the pack. This is all with a preset based on the Placater/Friedman.

MojoRisin

Double-check the input block on all the paths in your preset. I've seen it happen more than once where someone had the input for Path 2 set to Multi, and in that case, if you only have the Volume block in Path 1, it won't affect the signal in Path 2.
If it's not something like that, I'm thinking a clue is in the phrase "on the pedal settings, the minimum volume is set to zero".

Looking at the settings on a volume block I don't see any parameters for a minimum or maximum value. It's just the position and curve type. So, it leads me to believe that in this case the EXP pedal is applied as a controller for the level on the output block where you can set a min and max value. In that case the ranges are different where -120db is the minimum and +20 is the maximum. Anyways, just a guess.

Proceedeth

hey dudes - seeking some guidance on volume levels and using the Helix LT with stereo effects into two power amps. I am using the two 1/4" outputs (left/right) into the power amp in of a Sunn Beta Lead and Orange OR15. The speakers being driven by the OR15 overpower the Sunn Beta Lead and the stereo effect isn't noticeable. Any advice on equaling out the volumes? The amps themselves do not have a volume for the power amp in/effects loop. It's for home usage so just tinkering around with some of the delays and modulation effects. I'm using the simplest chain I can (Helix amp block -> modulation block -> output) while working on it. Thanks dudes.

caledoneus

Preface - I use snapshots for going between clean and dirty amps - simple on/off for the 2 amp blocks. However I found a few songs where the change from one to the other is a bit too abrupt. So i had the brilliant idea of a Y split going to both and using the expression pedal to control the blend at the mixer where the split joins together. Works! (could use a more curved response in each direction rather than linear but i digress)

However...

My brain is somewhat stuck in it's ways. Is it possible to have my cake and eat it too - I'd like to have snapshots control the mixer as well - they would ignore the pedal position and set the levels directly. And then if i moved the pedal it would take over the mix. But clicking a snapshot would always return to the precise levels, ignoring the pedal position.

Seems like it should be possible, but maybe not...

Thanks in advance for any help.
if you go into the mixer block you should be able to set the mix parameter (not sure off the top of my head if it is called mix or not) to Snapshot controlled, and then be able to use the pedal to change it if you want to. Pretty sure I've done that on a few of my presets.

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
I almost sold my floor this week. I’ve been using stomp lately with a couple of extra pedals and mainly just playing acoustic. But then when I went in and cleared out all my stuff on the floor and updated, it looked so nice and neat. So I rebuilt a couple of presets from scratch and realized just how useful it is and then I got to thinking about how many other little pieces of gear I’d have to get to do all the stuff helix floor does, then I decided not to sell it.

phil_m

Silver Supporting Member
I almost sold my floor this week. I’ve been using stomp lately with a couple of extra pedals and mainly just playing acoustic. But then when I went in and cleared out all my stuff on the floor and updated, it looked so nice and neat. So I rebuilt a couple of presets from scratch and realized just how useful it is and then I got to thinking about how many other little pieces of gear I’d have to get to do all the stuff helix floor does, then I decided not to sell it.

baldric

You would miss it, I'm sure. I don't think I could part with mine, bearing in mind I have the JTV59. It is the core of my rather modest home studio and the workflow allows me to be as creative as my talent will allow. Buy more things, but don't sell. That's my motto, even if the wife disagrees.

Trending Topics